Thread: Nervous novice seeks advice

User Info Menu

Default Nervous novice seeks advice

I recently found a group of guys looking to get their jam on and I'm gonna play with them later this week to see how it goes

The request:

I need your advice on playing in a band setting.
    As much as you can give.

It's been a while and I am feeling quite a bit of performance anxiety... two things that don't facilitate keeping it in the pocket, of course.
    Last edited by EcarEibmoz; 06-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nervous novice seeks advice

What exactly are you looking for?

User Info Menu

"I need your advice on playing in a band setting.
    As much as you can give."

Sorry, it's an open-ended request, but I didn't want anyone to think a story, or tip or trick, etc would be out of place. I'm not precisely sure what I am looking for, if I had all the answers, I wouldn't be asking..

User Info Menu

Dial in with the bass player as quickly as possible.

One of the guys in that group will most likely be a leader when it comes to changes in a song. Maybe it's how or when he pushes his guitar pedal down. Maybe it's how the bass player leans back before the chorus. Etc. Look to him for direction if you get lost - don't ask, just observe!

Don't try to impress them with speed or over complicated rhythms. Play what sounds right.

Remember that a LOT of bands need a drummer, so if it doesn't work out with them, it'll all be okay. BUT I'd expect them to get a little clingy if you have any sense of rhythm.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Be honestly confident by playing within your means and have fun. Also remember that when you're playing by yourself, you're playing drums, when jamming with others you're playing music. Don't confuse the 2.

User Info Menu

Don't keep banging your drums or cymbals while they are trying to tune their guitars..And they are aallways tuning them things..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

playing well with a band happens after playing with the same group of people for a while, its like being in a relationship, u kinda have to be very open minded to what people like, after a while you get comfortable with eachother and learn to relax. just dont be over zealous and go all out, but that doesn't mean to not be confident in ur abilities! other musicians dont want to see a drummers chops for the first time when a band first forms, they wanna know that u can keep time, and it comes with practice, you will be all over the place in the beginning for sure
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

go see another band and observe the drummer, he isnt doing anything to grand90% of the time. Be confident and sure of your skill and that will reflect on your playing. Have fun and enjoy the jam. It also helps if you have their set list to listen to and work on. best of luck.

User Info Menu

Lock in with your bass player. Make sure you guys are tighter than a vice grip. The more you lock in with him/her the better you guys will sound.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Don't keep banging your drums or cymbals while they are trying to tune their guitars..And they are aallways tuning them things..
    YES YES YES

drmn4life-
    playing well with a band happens after playing with the same group of people for a while, its like being in a relationship, u kinda have to be very open minded to what people like, after a while you get comfortable with eachother and learn to relax. just dont be over zealous and go all out, but that doesn't mean to not be confident in ur abilities! other musicians dont want to see a drummers chops for the first time when a band first forms, they wanna know that u can keep time, and it comes with practice, you will be all over the place in the beginning for sure
    Well said. Make sure you yourself are comfortable. You as the drummer need to be the most open minded because every song involves you and your playing, and you are there because your band believes you can provide a backbeat for their songs and not to have a solofest.

My own two cents:

When you're playing with a group of people that you've never jammed with before, take the time out just to figure out what each guy likes to do. If one guitarist does really rhythmic riffs, and the bassist combines what you do and what the guitarist does, you guys will lock in and get along well. If there's someone who's a bit more creative and can put in a nice lick or two between parts, play along with it, or let him solo some. If your singer likes to go all out, make sure you guys hold off a bit and let him get the spotlight a bit. Not taking away from the rest of the band but more often than not the audience watches the singer. Good chemistry is essential in a band.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I know it's sorta the opposite of what we're supposed to do...but I follow the guitar player (even as a former bass player, myself).

2 reasons really...until now...we'ver never had a bass player that was any good. So following them was a recipe for disaster. And second, I can rarely hear what the bass player is doing so it's easier to follow the guitar.

Generally speaking though, by the time we gig I know the songs well enough that I don't need to hear anyone when we play. Which happens quite often (gigs with no mic'ing of the guitar/bass/drums) so it's up to me to know the song as if I'm playing by myself.

User Info Menu

Excellent advice all around, guys. Thank you! Considering buying my lady a bass now...

Going to go in, play steady time, keep it simple and let it grow from there..

Got everything tuned up last night and sounding awesome

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I know it's sorta the opposite of what we're supposed to do...but I follow the guitar player (even as a former bass player, myself).

2 reasons really...until now...we'ver never had a bass player that was any good. So following them was a recipe for disaster. And second, I can rarely hear what the bass player is doing so it's easier to follow the guitar.

Generally speaking though, by the time we gig I know the songs well enough that I don't need to hear anyone when we play. Which happens quite often (gigs with no mic'ing of the guitar/bass/drums) so it's up to me to know the song as if I'm playing by myself.
    Yeah I always see follow the bass player and usually do not say anything as it seems to be what your supposed to do as a drummer but honestly I can hardly hear him and our new bass player is very technical and is all over the place but stays within the song it sounds great but I cannot follow him most of the time so I always follow the guitars. Maybe it depends on the type of music but in rock it's kinda hard to hear the bass unless it's a bass heavy song
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm with Marko for the most part; in my band, I follow the guitarist. But maybe that's because he's my neighbor and we have a lot of just guitar/drum jams. Most of our original songs are written between the two of us. Plus, he's a very rhythmic player anyways.

User Info Menu

Don't lose the tempo. Thats it, as you get more comfortable with he group then youll be willing to play like you would by yourself.
    -Steven