Thread: RemoPinStripes or Ebony Ambassadors

User Info Menu

Default RemoPinStripes or Ebony Ambassadors

hey everyone , im pretty new to drummin and was wondering if i should go for pinstripes or ebony ambassadors on my toms(12", 13") Im looking for a sort of jazz/funk sound, but also just to get some different heads than the pearl ones that came with them - (there pretty beat) Would greatly appreciate anyones advice/opinion on this....thanx
    : ~ Pearl export ELX (ruby fade) Cymbals at present....: Paiste pst3 14" high hats, 16" crash, 20" ride, zildjian ZBT 10" splash. DW5002 turbo double bass pedals. LP percussion block

User Info Menu

I will highly recommend Evans G2 or EC1's, and forget remo all together, but that is just my opinion lol.

User Info Menu

I agree, clear G2's sound really nice. I have the EC2's and they muffle a whole lot if that's what you're looking for.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Yea 32nd I have a set of ec2's and hate them, they take all the life out of the drum in my opinion, that is why I recommended EC1 they are a thicker single ply and sound so sic, but so does G2's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    I will highly recommend Evans G2 or EC1's, and forget remo all together, but that is just my opinion lol.
    thanx, ill check them out, tho im more familliar with the differences between the remos - how come you wouldn't recomend them then?
    : ~ Pearl export ELX (ruby fade) Cymbals at present....: Paiste pst3 14" high hats, 16" crash, 20" ride, zildjian ZBT 10" splash. DW5002 turbo double bass pedals. LP percussion block

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j0sh
    thanx, ill check them out, tho im more familliar with the differences between the remos - how come you wouldn't recomend them then?
    I used to play pinstripes, pinstripes are a 2 ply head, I just never really cared for the sound that came from them, so I tried evans G2's and have never looked back, and now they have the EC1's and they are just absolutely fantastic, you get the best of both world, single ply sound with double ply durability.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for a jazzy sound, you don't want either of the Pinstripes or the Ebonys....what you want is a single-ply Ambassador, maybe coated Ambassadors.....the coated heads are a bit drier sound...the Pinstripes are a two-ply head, and the Ebony series (even the middle-weight Ambassadors) are a pretty thick head, meant more for heavy rock and metal.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

thanx guys, that helps alot......wont be gettin the ebonys then. I was planning to get a coated ambassador for my floor tom anyway, so might go for a set of them (or evans equivalent)

User Info Menu

As a parent who has to buy the drum heads, I love the Ebonys. They are freak'n bullet proof.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    As a parent who has to buy the drum heads, I love the Ebonys. They are freak'n bullet proof.

Yes....but not meant for a jazzy tone.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

If they are that strong they would have to be pretty resonant from the frigedness of them....... right?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Get Ebony PINSTRIPES, then you get them both lol. I have them and I love them.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    Get Ebony PINSTRIPES, then you get them both lol. I have them and I love them.
    Wudn't they muffel the sound like alot? Then again the idea did cross my mind lol - cool pic btw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Yes....but not meant for a jazzy tone.
    When he gets a job with a big time jazz band he can worry about jazzy tone. Right now I love the idea of having a set of heads last from grade school through high school.