Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I in the right place?....a little long.

User Info Menu

Question Am I in the right place?....a little long.

I've been attempting to learn to play the guitar for about 9 months. I have gotten extremely frustrated at my ability not to be able to bend and arch my fingers and hands as required to play properly, despite lots of often painful practice. It doesn't help that I have some nerve damage in on of my fingers as well.

Anyway, when I chose to start playing the guitar, I picked up a modest electric guitar, amp and a few accessories. So fortunately I'm not out a bunch of cash. When I started out, I had a hard time picking between learning guitar and drums. I think I knew from the get go, I chose my "second choice" because I thought it was more practical. It takes up less space, the ability to be less noisy, and portable. But I've always had a natural sense of musical rhythm. I can "finger drum" what I think a great additions to most songs! , and have always just naturally known where chord changes are, etc. Deep down, this is the instrument I've always wanted to play. I gave the guitar a good whirl, but even the guy giving me lessons said I have some anatomical challenges on top of the nerve damage that are hindering my progress.

ALL THAT, to ask....where the flip do I begin? I'm looking at beginner kits in the $300-400 range. I don't really want to spend more than that. I'd like to trade my guitars and gear towards a set at guitar center, but that's not a requirement. I've been looking at the Pacific Drums Z5 kit, ddrum D2, Pearl Sound Check or Forum FZH725, as well as Mapex Voyage which comes with an extra tom. I mean looks wise, they all seem "pretty". I like all kinds of rock and some funk. My favorite bands are the likes of Journey, Phil Colllins/Genesis, Steve Miller Band, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Live, Maroon 5, Chicago (80s), Def Leppard, etc, if that makes a difference on your fist kit?? I'm I on the right track with any of those choices?

The idea of buying anything used terrifies me without the aid of an experienced drummer of which I don't know any.

Live in the Houston area as well, and going to have to search out a teacher. I feel like such a moron at times trying to learn an instrument at 30+ yrs old. LOL.

Anyway, thanks for any insight. I'm sure there are 10K other posts just like mine. I know this was long, and I appreciate the time taken to read.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I in the right place?....a little long.

Welcome to Drum Chat txczshooter!

The thing you are going to have to deal with, on the cost of your first kit, is that there will be the cost of the drums + cymbals + hardware. Some kits will come with hardware, and some will even come with cymbals too, but be careful about setting your sights to low, because the cymbals that come bundled with the beginner kits are pretty terrible.

Also, keep in mind that most of the beginner kits are made in China and the various manufacturers just put their own name on it, so in the beginner line the differences between the kits is mainly about what else they offer with the drums.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

pastor_bob - As with anything, the bottom of the barrel is the same with just about anything. However, fortunately I was planing on having to purchase a decent cymbal kit. So basically just looking for the best kit plus hardware. A friend of mine is already giving me one Sabian B8 crash and a Gibralter (I believe) bass pedal (apologize for generic terms). Perhaps that will be enough? Not sure if hi-hat is a necessary piece from day one? Not going to buy anything until after I figure out the lesson thing. At least being able to trade or sell my guitar gear will help offset the costs.

I was just wondering if any of those kits would be a "mistake"? I mean I would have no idea if they put out "good" sound or even what tonal qualities to look for. But I'm guessing for the most part at this level that's really not going to matter, and I'm more looking for the best bang for buck as far as what's included (minus junk cymbals), right?

User Info Menu

The best advice I think anyone here could give you on this site, with a price range as low as that. Look on Craigslist. you'll get more for your money.
    You'll still be in the entry kit range, but you won't be stuck with brass cymbals.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat txczshooter!

The thing you are going to have to deal with, on the cost of your first kit, is that there will be the cost of the drums + cymbals + hardware. Some kits will come with hardware, and some will even come with cymbals too, but be careful about setting your sights to low, because the cymbals that come bundled with the beginner kits are pretty terrible.

Also, keep in mind that most of the beginner kits are made in China and the various manufacturers just put their own name on it, so in the beginner line the differences between the kits is mainly about what else they offer with the drums.
    X100

I didn't listen on the cymbal aspect. The drums that came with my "complete" kit are great. With new heads, they are better than great.

The cymbals are horrible. I've only been playing for 3 months and even I already know this.

-Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    X100

I didn't listen on the cymbal aspect. The drums that came with my "complete" kit are great. With new heads, they are better than great.

The cymbals are horrible. I've only been playing for 3 months and even I already know this.

-Randy
    I've read this many times over, at various places. So, I'm taking the hint! Cymbal sound, just like drums (or guitars), are so subjective. I don't want arbitrarily get a set without listening. So I'll take this free Sabian crash and maybe pick the rest up individually as I progress. Might cost more, but less on the wallet all at one time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by txczshooter View Post
    I've read this many times over, at various places. So, I'm taking the hint! Cymbal sound, just like drums (or guitars), are so subjective. I don't want arbitrarily get a set without listening. So I'll take this free Sabian crash and maybe pick the rest up individually as I progress. Might cost more, but less on the wallet all at one time.
    The Hi Hat's will actually be more important than a crash (but don't turn down free gear lol), actually some would say that the hi hat is more important that even the toms (especially for a beginer)... As long as you get yourself some hats that are not brass you'll be alot happier.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Okay, I can hang with that. A place to start.

Soo.....pretending that hardware and cymbals are not in the equation....

Are any of the kits I mentioned above going carry me to intermediate play?

User Info Menu

Hey thought I'd try help out, the kits you have chosen (should you look after them) should easily suit you up to and possibly past intermediary levels. The forum and Mapex in particular I know are popular, and I have a Mapex and have played a forum and am very happy with my Mapex and would recommend it any day of the week. Also with cymbals it's very subjective I have a set of Pearl CX200 starter cymbals, and I love my hats and the bell of my ride but my crash and the rest of my ride sounds awful bit washy - others will say your cymbals don't sound right but until you've played long enough to know the difference you shouldnt be too fussed about upgrades, they sound awful but they hold up until you know what your doing. Also when choosing a kit, new or off CL you'll want a snare, a hi hat, bass drum, crash/ride(the combo ones or separate if funds are adequate) Floor Tom and atleast 1 rack Tom. Plus hardware and sticks. Welcome to DC!

User Info Menu

Ok, my .00002 cents.

Hi-hats are a must. They as said before don't have to be the best sounding hats on the market, niether does a ride. So yes hi hats are critical in the beginning. Basically, all you need is a set of hats, a ride and one crash. You can pick up good used ones if you don't like the sound of entry level cymbals. Thing is, if you've never heard high quality cymbals, I don't think entry level cymbals will sound that bad to you. It's only when you get into upgrading cymbals you'll hear the difference and wonder why you put up with entry level cymbals for so long. Been there done that!

As far as kits go, do not rush into anything. Take your time and don't settle for something. I almost did, and looking back now, I would have regreted that move. I chose an intermediate kit (Gretsch Catalina Maple) and really like the kit. I gtot it from a seller on ebay brand new and the harware was included with the deal and it was good hardware. The whole thing was around $800, new stuff. But there is nothing wrong with used. Drum shells unless they have holes in them or have been stickered to death by a kid or re-wrapped a 100 times are not going to sound any different than new. It's the condition of the harware and heads you have to look out for and also you don't want a scrached up set. I've seen alot of used kits that were in the $800 range new sell for half and they were hardly touched. Alot of kids set off on the drummers journey only to fizzle out after a few months. So some of those "used" kits could be actually basically new still. So don't be affraid of the word "used". You can generally look at a used kit and tell if it was abused or taken care of, and then you can make a judgement call. Guitars are alittle different, being some have electronic components that can be a pain when you buy them used. So Guitars and drums used, to me are entirely two different worlds.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Hey thought I'd try help out, the kits you have chosen (should you look after them) should easily suit you up to and possibly past intermediary levels. The forum and Mapex in particular I know are popular, and I have a Mapex and have played a forum and am very happy with my Mapex and would recommend it any day of the week. Also with cymbals it's very subjective I have a set of Pearl CX200 starter cymbals, and I love my hats and the bell of my ride but my crash and the rest of my ride sounds awful bit washy - others will say your cymbals don't sound right but until you've played long enough to know the difference you shouldnt be too fussed about upgrades, they sound awful but they hold up until you know what your doing. Also when choosing a kit, new or off CL you'll want a snare, a hi hat, bass drum, crash/ride(the combo ones or separate if funds are adequate) Floor Tom and atleast 1 rack Tom. Plus hardware and sticks. Welcome to DC!
    Thanks Aaaidn for the tips and the welcome. I guess I'll just pick one that I think "looks" the best. It speaks volumes that no one would recommend a single one of those kits. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Ok, my .00002 cents.

Hi-hats are a must. They as said before don't have to be the best sounding hats on the market, niether does a ride. So yes hi hats are critical in the beginning. Basically, all you need is a set of hats, a ride and one crash. You can pick up good used ones if you don't like the sound of entry level cymbals. Thing is, if you've never heard high quality cymbals, I don't think entry level cymbals will sound that bad to you. It's only when you get into upgrading cymbals you'll hear the difference and wonder why you put up with entry level cymbals for so long. Been there done that!

As far as kits go, do not rush into anything. Take your time and don't settle for something. I almost did, and looking back now, I would have regreted that move. I chose an intermediate kit (Gretsch Catalina Maple) and really like the kit. I gtot it from a seller on ebay brand new and the harware was included with the deal and it was good hardware. The whole thing was around $800, new stuff. But there is nothing wrong with used. Drum shells unless they have holes in them or have been stickered to death by a kid or re-wrapped a 100 times are not going to sound any different than new. It's the condition of the harware and heads you have to look out for and also you don't want a scrached up set. I've seen alot of used kits that were in the $800 range new sell for half and they were hardly touched. Alot of kids set off on the drummers journey only to fizzle out after a few months. So some of those "used" kits could be actually basically new still. So don't be affraid of the word "used". You can generally look at a used kit and tell if it was abused or taken care of, and then you can make a judgement call. Guitars are alittle different, being some have electronic components that can be a pain when you buy them used. So Guitars and drums used, to me are entirely two different worlds.
    Trust me, I know that I know you're right....WHEN you know about drums. I shoot IDPA pistol competitions. I know pistols inside and out. Can go into a pawn shop or gun store and get deals on used guns all day long.
    Last edited by txczshooter; 04-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I would not be afraid to buy used, buying an acoustic set is not like buying electronics. You can find some very good deals and drumsets and cymbals when taken care of can last forever or close to it. Craigslist is a great place to start because you can actually look and play before you buy and this is very important. I found almost every part of my kit on craigslist and I got great deals. I have seen good stuff in your area too. I am in Baton Rouge and sometimes look over on the Houston craigslist for some good deals. I actually picked up a used cymbal in Lake Charles for a steal. Hi-hats are essential starting out if you are going to be playing on a kit. Good luck!
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Sorry I couldn't follow up txczshooter. We had a bad storm roll through town and it knocked out a power pole. Got the power back up that night, but the cable (and my internet) has been intermittant for a few days.

I started with the ddrum D2 kit, and it was OK for a beginner kit. To make it better, be prepared to get new heads. The stock heads are passable, but better heads improve the sound. It comes with cymbals, but they will hurt your ears, so as you already know, better cymbals will be needed as soon as you can afford it. I would probably put the Mapex kit above the others though, because I have seen their budget lines, and they are better than most, although I don't have any first hand experience with the Voyager series.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Ok, my .00002 cents.

Hi-hats are a must. They as said before don't have to be the best sounding hats on the market, niether does a ride. So yes hi hats are critical in the beginning. Basically, all you need is a set of hats, a ride and one crash. You can pick up good used ones if you don't like the sound of entry level cymbals. Thing is, if you've never heard high quality cymbals, I don't think entry level cymbals will sound that bad to you.
    TRUTH. Frankly, while it depends on how hard you hit, I had a set of Zildjian ZBT 14" hats and a 22" ZBT ride that lasted me 5 years (the 16" crash that came with that set lasted maybe 20 months, haha) - and honestly, they sounded just fine. Did I notice a difference once I upgraded? Oh, sure, but truthfully, I'm not sure I would have upgraded if I hadn't finally cracked both the hats and ride within 3 months of each other :-)

About the only other thing I'd advise, if you can help it, is to avoid cheap/flimsy hardware (having to constantly adjust cymbal stands is ANNOYING) - so like other posters have said, look on Craigslist or (in my lucky experience) if you've got a Guitar Center nearby, they sometimes have ridiculous deals on used kits (my Gretsch kit originally retailed for $700 for the shells, I got it and some decent hardware, "used," for $200. No joke.)
    Current Setup:
    Kit: Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Cymbals: 14" Meinl Soundcaster Custom Powerful Hi-Hats
    16" Meinl Byzance Medium Dark Crash
    18" Zildjian Classic Orchestral Medium Heavy Crash
    24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride

"I mean, don't get me wrong - I respect the whole 6 toms and 31 flavors of cymbals thing - but you manage to get it done with hats, a ride, crashes, and two toms that you never use anyway. Also, you're less of a [jerk] than the last guy."
    - my esteemed frontman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rekrdskratcher View Post
    TRUTH. Frankly, while it depends on how hard you hit, I had a set of Zildjian ZBT 14" hats and a 22" ZBT ride that lasted me 5 years (the 16" crash that came with that set lasted maybe 20 months, haha) - and honestly, they sounded just fine. Did I notice a difference once I upgraded? Oh, sure, but truthfully, I'm not sure I would have upgraded if I hadn't finally cracked both the hats and ride within 3 months of each other :-)

About the only other thing I'd advise, if you can help it, is to avoid cheap/flimsy hardware (having to constantly adjust cymbal stands is ANNOYING) - so like other posters have said, look on Craigslist or (in my lucky experience) if you've got a Guitar Center nearby, they sometimes have ridiculous deals on used kits (my Gretsch kit originally retailed for $700 for the shells, I got it and some decent hardware, "used," for $200. No joke.)
    I stopped by Guitar Center on the way home. They have a lightly used Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage shell kit (no snare) for $499.99. I'm not 100% in love with the natural finish, but It's not ugly by any means.

User Info Menu

I stopped by Guitar Center on the way home. They have a lightly used Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage shell kit (no snare) for $499.99. I'm not 100% in love with the natural finish, but It's not ugly by any means.
    Now you're talkin'! That kit will sound sooooo much better than a beginner kit, and it will hold it's tuning so much better too, because of the better hoops. Does it come with any hardware, or is that just the shell pack?

User Info Menu

The Yamaha is just the shell kit.

But, They also have a PDP CX series (maple) w/snare for $500 also. Still no hardware or cymbals, but the the set looks clean.

User Info Menu

But, They also have a PDP CX series (maple) w/snare for $500 also. Still no hardware or cymbals, but the the set looks clean.
    That is also a good kit for the money.

User Info Menu

B
    That would be a nice kit to get hold of. It's a good start. You can still pick up good hardware used either there or on CG. You can pick up a set of used Sabian B8's cheap too. You'll need a bass pedal, hi hat stand and a couple cymbal stands. Oh and a throne.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Everyone has been a lot of help. I now know a better starting place and have a bit more confidence in buying a used kit. It will cost a little bit more than I had hoped but I will ultimately have better components. Should I not succeed at the drums as I hope, I can sell the stuff straight up or at much less of a loss than buying a crappy set new.

Will update when I decide.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Picture of PDPs

User Info Menu

Nice! Feels like you're leaning toward the CX kit. Is that the Yamaha kit right behind the PDP's?

User Info Menu

Guy at Guitar Center was trying to convince me that the Sound Percussion complete set with "medium" hardware, cymbals and all was a better bet for a beginner. Could get their warranty and everything for under $750. Something tells me his commission is better on the new stuff with warranty. I dunno, he just wasn't convincing me because he wasn't exactly tell me why.

User Info Menu

Guy at Guitar Center was trying to convince me that the Sound Percussion complete set with "medium" hardware, cymbals and all was a better bet for a beginner. Could get their warranty and everything for under $750. Something tells me his commission is better on the new stuff with warranty. I dunno, he just wasn't convincing me because he wasn't exactly tell me why.
    You are wise.