Thread: Sticks?

User Info Menu

Default Sticks?

I take drum lessons, and the instructor has me using Vic Firth Ralphie Jr. sticks, which are big, fat, and heavy - - and are really marching band sticks.

But when we work on ostinatos and whatnot on the instructors' analog drumset, he makes me use 5A's, cause he says the Ralphie Jr.s will tear up the drumset.

Thing is, I actually like the big diameter, the weight and the rebound of the Ralphie Jr's. Are the Ralphie Jr. sticks too extreme to use on my Yamaha electronic heads, or are they OK?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticks?

It wouldnt bother my Simmons set but they have the old thick rubber heads.I know the new mesh heads are a better feel and response but I dont know how they hold up since I have never owned any.If yours are rubber covered,they would be OK.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I personally wouldn't do it. Although electronic drum pads (even the mesh ones) will hold up to a significant amount of torture, there's no doubt that the heavier sticks will cause additional wear and the pads might give out on you sooner than they would've. Replacing e-kit pads isn't cheap, so that alone would keep me using 5A. So the sticks won't break your kit outright - you can use them if you want to and you'll be fine - just realize that you are likely shortening the lifespan of your pads by using such large sticks.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I personally wouldn't do it. Although electronic drum pads (even the mesh ones) will hold up to a significant amount of torture, there's no doubt that the heavier sticks will cause additional wear and the pads might give out on you sooner than they would've. Replacing e-kit pads isn't cheap, so that alone would keep me using 5A. So the sticks won't break your kit outright - you can use them if you want to and you'll be fine - just realize that you are likely shortening the lifespan of your pads by using such large sticks.
    This.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Can anyone remember the "Whamrods"? They were really cool looking sticks made of acrylic, I think. They were made for the old Simmons pads, which were like hitting concrete! Lol. The stick was flexible to compensate for the pad which was not. They were the same as a 2B. Anyone know ehere I might find some? The internets don't seem to know!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mdupre07 View Post
    Can anyone remember the "Whamrods"? They were really cool looking sticks made of acrylic, I think. They were made for the old Simmons pads, which were like hitting concrete! Lol. The stick was flexible to compensate for the pad which was not. They were the same as a 2B. Anyone know ehere I might find some? The internets don't seem to know!

Check pm's.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments