Thread: new set?? CONFUSED!!!

User Info Menu

Default new set?? CONFUSED!!!

hi all.

i'm a newbie. to the forum, and pretty much to the drum scene as well. used to play a longgggg time ago, and never took formal lessons, got by, just about. rekindled the 'passion' and have recently bought me a new snare drum, pearl steel shell, 10 lugs, and am now considering getting a full set.

these are the options i am considering, due to availability (i'm in Malaysia.. don't quite get the full range of brands and models), price and wateva else:

sonor force 1005{4}, mapex vx series {1}, yamaha stage custom (either used{3}, or new{2}, and i don't think its the nouveau line that's available here now) yamaha rydeen/gig maker{5}, maybe even pacific fs{?} or mx{?} series, if they have it here. some of the names of models might be different this part of the world, though. is that too many options? that's cos i'm totally confused already!!! numberes in { } denote pricing, 1 being expensive and 2 being less expensive n so on....

what about cymbals. meinl headliner pack vs mebbe the sabian b8 or something equivalent?

i'm leaning towards the used yamaha stage custom if in good condition, haven't viewed it. next is probably the yamaha rydeen or the sonor 1005.

HELP!!!!

rc

User Info Menu

I feel your pain, brother, as I have am going through the same process right now. I started with a ddrum beginner kit, and I am ready to move up. My choice came down to Sonor Force 3005 and the Gretsch Catalina maple sets. After taking the time to research things pretty thoroughly online, I went to several music stores and got a feel for the sound of various sets, and woods. I found that my ears fell in love with the sound of the maple sets. I know that not everyone would agree, so I would suggest that, if you can, you check out the sound of different sets at the music stores. You've got a wide spectrum of woods on the drums that you are considering, so I would try to narrow it down based on what sounds good to you. There is a good article in Prof. Sound's Drum Tuning Bible http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

There is a section in there that talks about how he would go about buying drums. It made real good sense to me, and I followed it fairly closely. The other thing I did is exactly what you are doing. Getting advice from others who have gone there before you.

There are some very nice people in here, and I'm sure you'll get the guidance you need. Hang in there, and good luck making your choice.

User Info Menu

thanks PB. where u from? and where do u pastor??

update on the prices, the pacific fs series is probably at closer to the yamaha stage custom new i.e. {2}.

User Info Menu

Yamaha stage custom would be a good choise to get back into it. Its reasonably good quality. I have gigged on one before. It was government property so it wasnt flash but i was happy with it for practicing on. Definatly a good start i would vouch for.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randy chitty
    thanks PB. where u from? and where do u pastor??

update on the prices, the pacific fs series is probably at closer to the yamaha stage custom new i.e. {2}.
    First of all, you're welcome. I'm fairly new to drumming, but I have learned some very valuable things in the process of learning this craft, and through the guidance of much wiser folks than myself here at DrumChat. Many of them are most certainly younger than me, and yet very talented and willing to share their knowledge.

I was a chiropractor in Southern California until 9 years ago. I am now the pastor at Bethel United Methodist Church in Murfreesboro, TN. And yes, I have been known to use the word "dude" from the pulpit on occasion.

Your turn to tell me something about yourself now.

User Info Menu

Yamaha or Sonor or Gretsch if you can swing it, I gigged on a yamaha stage custome when they were first introduced and I loved it, never had a problem, sounded awesome, recorded great, and was tough as could be, I actually still miss that kit, anyway there is my 2 cents, welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

well...... i'm in Malaysia, almost forty, and used to play drums in church!! long time ago. the church i go to now has a rather interesting looking sonor set, though i haven't gotten near it to see what model it is.

i've narrowed it down (up??) to a mapex m birch, pacific fs, yamaha rydeen, or stage custom advantage. will try and check too if we have the kit that you've just bought.........but am doubtful.... but will definitely have to do the rounds of the shops and some testing before i decide. thanks for the link on the DTB, found it very useful and interesting, and overwhelming too??!!

User Info Menu

RC,

I sure understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. While you're narrowing it down it can get kind of weird, but stay with it and remember that it's a journey, not a destination. I found that half the fun was in taking the time to hear the various sets and let my ears decide what sound I really liked. Everyone will find their own sound, so just enjoy listening to the sounds, rather than trying to find the "right" sound. You'll know when you hear "your sound."

Since you are a church goer, might I also suggest that you say a prayer for some extra guidance? I just couldn't seem to make up my mind between the Gretsch Catalina maple in deep amber finish, and the Sonor Force 3005 in a natural maple finish. Loved the natural maple, but could only see it online. Got to play the Gretsch Catalina and loved the sound. I knew the Sonor kit would be awesome too, so kept going back and forth. I even sought advice from fellow drummers here, just as you are doing. Finally, I sat down and prayed (as if God didn't have anything better to do than help me with a drum choice). All of a sudden, I felt certain that I should get the Gretsch Catalina kit. I called the supplier, and just to find out, I asked about the availability of the Sonor kit. I found out that just that day, it had become unavailable. Decision made. God was right! (this probably would belong in the Christian section - forgive me if this is offensive to any of my non-believing drummer friends)
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 05-23-2007 at 01:06 PM.

User Info Menu

so you are saying god would buy the gretsch? thats a pretty big endorsement. they should market that for sure. and pearl thought they had a big star when they signed joey jordison. just imagin the gretsch GOD series snare drum. that would sound....well, heavenly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    so you are saying god would buy the gretsch? thats a pretty big endorsement. they should market that for sure. and pearl thought they had a big star when they signed joey jordison. just imagin the gretsch GOD series snare drum. that would sound....well, heavenly.
    LOL!
    *scoots away from funky to give God plenty of room for the impending lightning bolt*

User Info Menu

Yeah, Funky, I knew that would sound a little out there, but it was absolutely true. Call it coincidence if you want, but I have to admit that when you commented on it, it DID sound funny. But I'll bet if God did play the drums, it would be a don't miss concert event!

You're a good man, Funky. Just thought I'd say, I appreciate you.

User Info Menu

thnx bob. and RD, i dont think i have to worry bout a lighning bolt. while not a religious man, i believe that if there is a creator then he has to have a sense of humor. just look at the platypuss.

User Info Menu

lol i like how you think......... or turkeys..... I guess the devil made those thought. They will attack you after you take off their heads :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

BTW, Funky, I think God has a sense of humor, too. Just take a peek inside churches sometime. What an odd collection of folks, all learning to get along. Not to mention my own life. I'm sure God gets a good laugh at my expense from time to time! The platypuss has nothing on my weird life!

User Info Menu

Lol how about the simpsons episode where that comedian is with god and god said he was glade he let him into heaven :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters