Thread: Beginning drummer would like advice

User Info Menu

Default Beginning drummer would like advice

I've only been playing on and off for a year and a half now but I've grown to really like it and what's more I think I've got a knack for it. I try to practice as much as I can but since I have'nt found a teacher yet nor have the money for one I'm growing frustrated because my playing has become very stagnant, just the same old thing over and over. So I've got some questions and would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.

1. Like I said I don't have a teacher so I've been trying to learn as much as I can on my own. I've been practicing triplets and drum rolls etc on the kit to gain precision and speed. I keep at a certain thing until I've got it then try to add in other things I've practiced is this a good approach?

2. I'm now trying to learn all 40 rudiments, is this nessacary?

3. I've been checking out the percussive arts societies website, is this group one that I should follow to help me learn? i.e. know what the hell they're talking about.

4. What are the best FREE websites for learning drums.

5. I intend to take lessons hopefully soon, what should I look for in a teacher.

6. Where are the best places to get all things drums. I've found musicians friend and I like them, are they good and what others would you recommend.

7. The kit I bought was a used Tama Imperialstar in outstanding condition, from the reading I've done this kit seems to be a beginners kit, is the Imperialstar a good kit as far as quality goes i.e. will it last and will it suit me to the intermediate level.

Like I said I got a used Tama Imperialstar, 5 piece. It sounded great when I first got it now it sounds terrible. I've been reading up and the importance of the heads is great. I've been trying different makes and lines of heads to see what I like and what will work best for the kit. I have'nt changed the resonants yet though, they are still the factory resonants, I'm guessing this might be the culprit, am I correct? There will be many more questions to come but this is all I want to ask for now, thanks for reading.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beginning drummer would like advice

Welcome FH!

1. Sure, why not. Make sure you're practicing all basic drum styles as well... blues beats, 6/8, shuffles, slow/fast rock, latin feel, four on the floor, etc.

2. Definitely not. Just learn the basic ones (singles, doubles, paradiddle combinations, flams, drags, etc.) "real" well and it will get you very far.

3. I already answered this in your first thread but to recap, that one and drumrudiments.com are great. You can't go wrong with either one.

4. "Best" is subjective but I would say drumbum.com, youtube, and a great forum like this one (drum lessons videos)... chock full of valuable info. Check out the "Drum Links" drop-down bar top right.

5. Get recommendations from trusted sources. Make sure they're a drummer first and foremost, not a guitar player that also teaches drum lessons. Make sure they've either been playing awhile or have college training. Take a few lessons from them and see if they "fit" you. If not, find someone else.

6. Certainly MF or any other large shop that specializes in drum gear. Check out this thread for drumchat member recommendations

7. In my opinion this set is just fine and should take you into an intermediate level. When you learn all about the drums and have been playing awhile, you'll know when it's time to upgrade.

Top Drum Sites
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 for what drummer said plus Practise Practise Practise ….and then some

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard Fiddlehead! Drummer pretty much summed it all up. I'd just add that really any Tama drumkit if tuned right with some good quality heads can be made to sound decent....best thing really is to find someone or some store that can help you with that, then later on, bit by bit you'll pick it up and experiment, I guess. But the important thing is that while you can tune drums, cymbals you can't. Try to find the best cymbals that you can get and sound good to you....trust me, sometimes it will take a while to get your sound, not someone else's. But that will come with time, I'm sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

^^^what they said^^^
    My 2 cents,
    Get some headphones and practice along with your fave tunes.
    I don't think all the rudiments are necessary, but it wouldn't hurt. (there's 40?)..lol.
    YouTube has some great vids on learning..I sure didn't have the world at my fingertips learning 40yrs. ago! I'd put the record player at 16 speed to try and figure out how they did some of their fills, etc.
    As far as teachers, someone who has a good personality and works well with kids would be a good indicator. I've learned alot from teachers, probably much faster than if I relied on myself.
    There are several places to get all things drums. I would never go to one place. A good shopper looks everywhere. I've got some of my best deals on C/List or eBay or used items/garage sales.
    The Tama kit is fine. Get some good heads, which would be a matter of opinion. I like evans EC2's or Remo Ambassadors. EMAD2 bass drum heads. Evans genera clear resos. This is something with experimenting you'd find you may like something else on your own. You may experiment on how you'd like your kit configuration also, 4pc., 5pc., 1 tom up and 2 down or 2 toms up and one down etc.
    I've been playing 40 years and felt stagnant many many times along the way. If you compare it to bowling, you can't always bowl a 300 game but with practice you can keep a great high average.
    I'm still always trying to get my limbs to do what my brain would like them to.
    Good luck and happy drummimg.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-11-2011 at 05:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I've been playing 40 years and felt stagnant many many times along the way. If you compare it to bowling, you can't always bowl a 300 game but with practice you can keep a great high average.
    Now that's a good analogy.....I usually think of a few rounds at the golf or cricket nets whenever I can, but I never thought of bowling, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8