Thread: What sticks should be used as a beginner

User Info Menu

Default What sticks should be used as a beginner

Just like the title says; what type of sticks should a beginner use, I've been using vic firth AJ2's because I like the feel (weight, lenght). As a beginner should I use different sticks? Also I've been alternating between the AJ2's and vic firth american classic 5A's which is a heavier stick, is this a good thing to do? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What sticks should be used as a beginner

Everyone, regardless of skill level, should use the sticks they are most comfortable with.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    everyone, regardless of skill level, should use the sticks they are most comfortable with.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Everyone, regardless of skill level, should use the sticks they are most comfortable with.
    I like to warm up with heavy sticks and then play with the weight I like the best(5b).I use a light stick when playing soft.

Welcome Fiddleheadstew.I love fiddleheads but I never had them in a stew,sounds good!You must be from New England somewhere.
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 04-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Considering sticks are not that expensive, pick the ones that feel best to you. I play with Pro-Mark Oak Nylon 7A's. I've been using them for about a year now, I've only broken one stick :P
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

everyone, regardless of skill level, should use the sticks they are most comfortable with.
    + 2
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

5a or 5b sticks are a good starting point for a new drummer. From there, you can determine if you want a little heavier or lighter of a stick, a little longer or shorter, and those qualities. Later on, you may discover that you like certain tips or tapers on your sticks, but all of this will come with time and experience.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpenguin45 View Post
    Later on, you may discover that you like certain tips or tapers on your sticks, but all of this will come with time and experience.
    I dont use wooden tips anymore because I dont like the denting the chipped tips do to my heads.Nylon tips wear better in my opinion.

As far as a beginner stick goes,I dont really think there are any,try em all.There are no set rules,experiment and pick the ones you are most comfortable with.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludwiglifer View Post
    i like to warm up with heavy sticks and then play with the weight i like the best(5b).i use a light stick when playing soft.

Welcome fiddleheadstew.i love fiddleheads but i never had them in a stew,sounds good!you must be from new england somewhere.
    +1

User Info Menu

if your after lighter sticks then go the 7a's if you want middle road then get the 5a's if you have fairly large arms then i would suggest a 5b or 2b

a balance or power speed and rebound will depend on the amount of force and weight behind the sticks ...
    less weight will give less stick force and rebound but to much weight will counteract this
    pritty sure i got that right

in the end of the day you just have to experiment! ...gota get'm all
    Last edited by itchie; 04-12-2011 at 03:06 AM.

User Info Menu

damit lag double post

gah

User Info Menu

what i recommend is to start with a pair of 5a's as a basis point. next time you go to the music store pick up a pair of 7a's for example and during your weekly practice use them as well as the 5a's. if you decide there not comfortable for you go towards the other end of the spectrum and get 5b's or 2b's and again use them along with your normal sticks. Once you find what end of the "stick spectrum" you are on then you could start looking at specifics. Where i first started i used 5a's and every week i would try a different stick 1 week it was 5b's then it was 7a's or 2b's for example. after maybe 6 pairs of sticks i decided to stick with vic firth 5b's as they were the ones "I" liked the most and thought that i played the best with. i still sometimes use 7a's or 5a's if im in the "mood" for something lighter.
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

User Info Menu

As everyone has said, you are going to have to experiment

I have been playing about 2 years, bought LOADS of pairs of sticks, and still haven't found my perfect pair, some great pairs, but not one I will want to use forever. The key is experimentation Also, I would have to agree that the 5a is a brilliant starting point!

best of luck! AG

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Vic Firth SD1s are what I learned on. They're great for rudimental stuff on snare drum. Check em out.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    Just like the title says; what type of sticks should a beginner use, I've been using vic firth AJ2's because I like the feel (weight, lenght). As a beginner should I use different sticks? Also I've been alternating between the AJ2's and vic firth american classic 5A's which is a heavier stick, is this a good thing to do? Thanks.
    What type of beginner? Brand spankin new out of the box never had lessons? or had some lessons and now moving onto playing complete set?

My response.......brand spankin new, try usins a heavy marching stick about size 2B. They are easier to hold and the weeight is good exercise in the very beginning.

New to set playing.........I agree with weasel, use what is most comfoortable to you. Its a personal preference thing.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I tend to agree with a bigger stick for those new to drumming - not that I did it. I did the search for the most comfortable stick when I started, but when I found the right teacher, she gave me a couple of pairs of her signature ProMark sticks. They are slightly bigger than 5B's, and I have come to realize that until I develop the fine motor skills of stick control, the larger size it better. IMHO, once the fine motor skills are developed, then you can experiment with other sticks.

Just my own 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I always use Promark JJ's just because the feel on these babies is amazing. I originally bought it because of Joey but these sticks are really durable and just feel and sound amazing. I suggest 5B's because that's what I started on, but i'd also be quick to suggest 2b's or the Vic Firth Metal because the VF is like 17" long and very very heavy.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I did lessons with heavy sticks to warm up then went to a lighter stick. I used to do my regular playing with Regal Rock (7a's?) but now I think they are no longer made. So now I use different brands based on the kind of music I'm playing. Now I like Vater and Zildjians got a few Vic's to. Guess your going to have to buy different ones until you find the one you like best. Get a playing set and a heavy practice/warmup pair too. OK? My .02

User Info Menu

You can spend a long time looking for the perfect stick. I went through 4 brands, 3 different types of wood, and countless models before arriving at my preferred stick. I started with a 2Bsize and I think that is a good place to start, assuming you are primarily interested in rock. If you start with a larger, heavier stick, the skills you develop should translate well if you move to a lighter stick later. Go to the store and hold several models. In the end, you have to pick what is most comfortable in your hands. If there were a universal stick that was good for everyone, the manufacturers wouldn't be making the 100s of models that exist!

User Info Menu

Good point Mano! But I wood add to stay away from the new fangled ones! Once when I was in my first year, I bought a pair of aluminum sticks! It had a REAL THIN tapper and I broke one of them doing some Zepllin! I also killed my head! I only had a cymbal and a snare! STICK WITH HICKORY WOOD! Good articulation and won't hurt your hands. Any size you want, just make it hickory. .02cents here!