Thread: Need advice on drumheads

User Info Menu

Default Need advice on drumheads

Ok my kit is a imperialstar and when I first got it the factory heads sounded great, I liked the rebound, the tone was good and they lasted a long time but they've worn out, now I'm on the quest to find what heads that have the sound I want. I bought evans g2 clears and was'nt really impressed, although they had a solid tone they sounded dead to me, not much sustain, I didn't like the rebound either (it's harder to do rolls on them). I ordered some remo emperor standard clears for my toms and I'm looking forward to seeing what they sound like. I'll try to describe the sound I'm after, I would like a batter head that has alot of tone and sustain, good rebound, and the wet sound and that would last a while. I put remo diplomats on my toms but they didn't last long but had the qualities I wanted. Is there a 2 ply with the characteristics of a 1 ply? Also for my snare I ordered evans genera hd dry batter and a remo medium ambassador for the snare side, now with a Tama 14 x 5.5 snare will this combo work? For a snare sound I want to get one with a good crack and a solid "thock" type sound. As for resonant heads what would you suggest, I want ones that last and can be tuned to whatever I would want multiple times without wearing out and really go good with the batters. My rack tom sizes are 12x9 and 13x10, the floor tom is 16x16, now with all the information I've listed what do you think? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice on drumheads

Quote Originally Posted by FIDDLEHEADSTEW View Post
    Ok my kit is a imperialstar and when I first got it the factory heads sounded great, I liked the rebound, the tone was good and they lasted a long time but they've worn out, now I'm on the quest to find what heads that have the sound I want. I bought evans g2 clears and was'nt really impressed, although they had a solid tone they sounded dead to me, not much sustain, I didn't like the rebound either (it's harder to do rolls on them). I ordered some remo emperor standard clears for my toms and I'm looking forward to seeing what they sound like. I'll try to describe the sound I'm after, I would like a batter head that has alot of tone and sustain, good rebound, and the wet sound and that would last a while. I put remo diplomats on my toms but they didn't last long but had the qualities I wanted. Is there a 2 ply with the characteristics of a 1 ply? Also for my snare I ordered evans genera hd dry batter and a remo medium ambassador for the snare side, now with a Tama 14 x 5.5 snare will this combo work? For a snare sound I want to get one with a good crack and a solid "thock" type sound. As for resonant heads what would you suggest, I want ones that last and can be tuned to whatever I would want multiple times without wearing out and really go good with the batters. My rack tom sizes are 12x9 and 13x10, the floor tom is 16x16, now with all the information I've listed what do you think? Thanks.
    Both the Evans G2 and the Remo Emperor's are two ply heads and will most likely sound similar.

For the tone and sustain you're looking for I'd try a single ply head like the Remo Ambassador , it's a medium weight single ply head and will give you more life then the thinner Diplomat's. Evans single ply head is the G Plus it is also a medium weight head that will give you good tone and sustain. On the bottoms I'd go with the thinest single ply.

I find the Evans G2 Coated head to have a bit more sustain to them then the clears.

Also you shouldn't use an Ambassador for your snare side head. You need the special very thin head made for that purpose only.

Check their web sites, both give very good descriptions of the type of sounds you get from the different heads.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input I got another question, the snare wires on my snare are buzzing when I hit my rack tom and my floor tom is humming when I hit the snare and bassdrum how can I fix this?

User Info Menu

FHS, the problem is that the tuning of the drums have created harmonics that are setting each other off. The one with the snare wires rattling is pretty common, and the conventional wisdom around here is to ignore it if it isn't to severe, because when you are playing with a band no one will even notice it. If it is too annoying to you, then it simply means that you are going to need to do a little more fine tuning on your drums to eliminate as much of the cross harmonics as you can. If you like the sound of the rack tom, then try changing the tuning of the snare's resonant head slightly. If you you like the sound of you snare, then go for the tom. There are other ways to deal with the snare rattle issue too, and I'll let others who do those comment on them.

Hope this helps some.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!