Thread: Suggestions for snare heads?

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions for snare heads?

I just put a evans hd dry on my snare and I don't like it, when they said dry they meant it, I like a very bright sounding snare, what do you guys recommend.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suggestions for snare heads?

Sounds like you may wish to try a Remo Ambassador (single ply 10 mil) or Emporer (double ply) or Evans G2...you'll hear the full open sound of your snare drum (but some don't like that). But before you go and buy and try another head, give the HD Dry a chance for awhile....maybe with different reso and batter tunings? Its a very good snare head IMO.

User Info Menu

What's the snare you are using?

User Info Menu

@ itchie its a 14x5.5 snare that came with my imperialstar kit

User Info Menu

FHS, you should still be able to get a bright sound out of the HD Dry head if you tune it higher. What it will do is shorten the sustain of the snare and eliminate the overtones. Now if you like more sustain and some of the overtones, then it is the wrong head for you. I agree with dropdtune. I would live with it a bit and get used to it a little before making a judgment. I changed from clear heads on my kit to coated heads, and at first I was sure I had made a bad mistake. After living with them a bit, I began to appreciate the sound more, and I realized how the clear and coated heads both have their place.

BTW, I am a big fan of the HD Dry head, but then it doesn't mean that you have to be. Just give it time to make sure that it is, or isn't right for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I was gonna suggest the head you just got, I agree with PB try a few tunings and maybe some time playing it. Might just grow on ya!

User Info Menu

I think you would be way happier with a coated Ambo.

User Info Menu

Try changing the reso head and snare wires. puresound has these new custom pro wires made with brass (available in 20 and 24 strand) that'll give you that nice bright attack you're looking for. if that doesn't work, then get a new batter head. evans ec reverse dot or remo coated ambass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    i think you would be way happier with a coated ambo.
    +1

User Info Menu

I've always had very good luck with single ply heads for my snares, and one of my favorites is the Aquarian Texture Coated. You can tone down the ring with a piece of Moon Gel. Another head I've used quite a bit that gives a bit more focused sound is the Evans G1 reverse dot. I don't really care for the Ambassador, which is weird because I tend to like a plain coated G1 - you'd think they would be the same but they don't really act that way, or at least that's the way it seems to me.

User Info Menu

My snare batter head of choice is the Aquarian Jack Dejohnette coated. The coating, as far as I can see so far, just doesnt wear off. And it sounds great whether you tune it low - medium or high in pitch. Full bodied with just the right amount of sustain without the annoying harmonic overtones that drive us all nuts. Ive got one on both of my snares...my main snare is a Pearl Free Floating 6 1/2 x 14 Copper shell...my road kit snare is a Pearl Free Floating 6 1/2 x 14 Maple shell. Both sound marvelous with that head.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    My snare batter head of choice is the Aquarian Jack Dejohnette coated. The coating, as far as I can see so far, just doesnt wear off. And it sounds great whether you tune it low - medium or high in pitch. Full bodied with just the right amount of sustain without the annoying harmonic overtones that drive us all nuts. Ive got one on both of my snares...my main snare is a Pearl Free Floating 6 1/2 x 14 Copper shell...my road kit snare is a Pearl Free Floating 6 1/2 x 14 Maple shell. Both sound marvelous with that head.
    Hmmmm - since I'm a fan of Aquarian heads anyway, I think that might be a head I'd like a lot. I'll have to give it a try.

User Info Menu

+2 coated ambo