Thread: Need recording advice

User Info Menu

Default Need recording advice

Hey guys,

I've decided to record my drum kit, i don't know everything (yet) so thats why i'm here. I think im going to get the cad pro 7 piece drum mic pack which i understand wont be the best but i believe it will get the job done. So now how should i link them with my computer, should i get a mixer and seperate mic pre amps, some sort of audio interface or what are the other options. so yeah any advice on how to connect them to my computer is very welcome!

Thanks
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need recording advice

Well thats a pretty big question. One thing I would do is a search in the recording section to help with the details. I'll bite though....

Overall pathway for recording....

Drums-------> mics---------> preamps---------> Analog/digital interface------->computer-----> digital/analog converter--------> monitors.

Mics---- Sounds like you have your mics and sounds like you will mic with two overheads, snare, bass, and three toms (8mics.
    preamps--- Can get exquisitely expensive with this area of gear. You will need one pre per mic. Separate pre's are wonderful and I have a serious collection habit with pre amps but for most the preamps that are built into the converters (see below) will work just fine.
    Mixers--- I let it out of the pathway because it is usually not needed for home recording as you can use the mixer in the software for EQ, compression, gating, bussing, and playback. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great mixers out there but the one you would really need would be the ones with firewire connection to run each separate channel into the computer. these usually run about 2000 dollars.
    Analog/digital to digital/analog converter. Here is the heart of your system and there are ton of them out there. For the price (around 300) presonus is the way to go if you want to save cash. I am thinking the fire studio or M audio's fast track ultra. This is where the rubber meets the road and the analog signal is converted to digital. The word clock reign's supreme here and again you can really drive up the price if inclined (There are converters that are just two channels that can cost 10000).
    computer--- check what ever interface and software with your computer for compatibility and horse power
    monitors---- obviously important for playback. try to go with monitors to get the closest reproduction of what was recorded.

good luck

User Info Menu

Oh yeah,
    The software. Will usually come with the interface. i.e. cubase, protools, logic, reaper... They will all pretty much work similarly with a few variations that are not very pertinent to this discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Well thats a pretty big question. One thing I would do is a search in the recording section to help with the details. I'll bite though....

Overall pathway for recording....

Drums-------> mics---------> preamps---------> Analog/digital interface------->computer-----> digital/analog converter--------> monitors.

Mics---- Sounds like you have your mics and sounds like you will mic with two overheads, snare, bass, and three toms (8mics.
    preamps--- Can get exquisitely expensive with this area of gear. You will need one pre per mic. Separate pre's are wonderful and I have a serious collection habit with pre amps but for most the preamps that are built into the converters (see below) will work just fine.
    Mixers--- I let it out of the pathway because it is usually not needed for home recording as you can use the mixer in the software for EQ, compression, gating, bussing, and playback. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great mixers out there but the one you would really need would be the ones with firewire connection to run each separate channel into the computer. these usually run about 2000 dollars.
    Analog/digital to digital/analog converter. Here is the heart of your system and there are ton of them out there. For the price (around 300) presonus is the way to go if you want to save cash. I am thinking the fire studio or M audio's fast track ultra. This is where the rubber meets the road and the analog signal is converted to digital. The word clock reign's supreme here and again you can really drive up the price if inclined (There are converters that are just two channels that can cost 10000).
    computer--- check what ever interface and software with your computer for compatibility and horse power
    monitors---- obviously important for playback. try to go with monitors to get the closest reproduction of what was recorded.

good luck
    What he said. Nucjd knows everything about recording xD
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Thanks guys thats absoulutely brilliant now i know what i need to research.

jordison i noticed you said the pathway would be ad interface then computer then through da. can you please explain this process more i understand the pre amps and everything but what exactly does the digital/analog convertor after the computer does and is it really nescecary. and seeing that i'm on a budget like 99.999% of people what would be the most cost effective converters and interfaces i would need.

Thanks, u guys are brilliant
    My Kit:
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

User Info Menu

here's my suggestion, get a matched pair of overheads with a simple audio interface and good monitor speakers then learn how to get the best sound out of that first

then buy a kick mic, snare, toms etc ...

imho just don't get the cads you will have to eq the honk out of them and having all those channels will just be a pain for learning. One step at a time mate

good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    here's my suggestion, get a matched pair of overheads with a simple audio interface and good monitor speakers then learn how to get the best sound out of that first

then buy a kick mic, snare, toms etc ...

imho just don't get the cads you will have to eq the honk out of them and having all those channels will just be a pain for learning. One step at a time mate

good luck
    cool thanks, what would be a good matched pair of overheads and simple interface that would get the job done but still get a decent sound and of course as affordable as possible
    My Kit:
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ausdrummer View Post
    cool thanks, what would be a good matched pair of overheads and simple interface that would get the job done but still get a decent sound and of course as affordable as possible
    I'd suggest Shure... SM57 will do just fine. Some stores carry the SM57's with a stand and a cable, which is good. I'd also suggest the Audix Fusion F15 condenser mic. I know musiciansfriend has them in a 2-pack for $200.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

i have a tascam us-122 which my dad must of used to use for guitar or something and it has 2 "XLR-based, phantom-powered mic inputs" will this be able to work well with 2 overheads. i did a bit of searching on the internet this morning about what cheaper mics work well for overheads and i came across a behringer c2 condensor mic pair which is only $100 here in australia. will these mics do alright seeing that im not looking for super high quality?
    My Kit:
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack

User Info Menu

i have behringer c2s (£45 for the pair) put them into a cheap alesis usb 2.0 mixer (comes with cubase) get the seperate channels and room for expansion aswell just to start off with then if its something you want to go into properly get more expensive and proper gear
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Great advice from the guys so far. I am a big fan of the 4 mic system for limited budgets and limited space. Two overheads, snare and bass. Some of the classics were recorded this way and came out great. Sage advice above as well about the overheads. They are the heart of the sound you are going to get from the kit. You will loose the bottom end frequencies unfortunately but if you are putting it on you tube or tracking for folks to listen on computer speakers it is not a big deal as most computer speakers can not push that low of frequencies anyway.

User Info Menu

the first setup i had was the behringer cs2's for overheads a jts kick mic and a sure pg56 on the snare ...

its good enough ruffys in a home studio fosure