Thread: Play along cds

User Info Menu

Default Play along cds

Hi folks.
    Would like to know which play along cds are good for my 10yr old son?
    He is currently working towards his grade 8 Rockschool,but other than playing along to the pieces for his grades he hasn't really done much playing along to cds.There are so many different ones out there it's hard to know which to buy.
    He says he wants some that he can make his own stuff up to.
    Any advice would be great.Cheers.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Play along cds

The Turn it Up Lay it Down cd are great learning cds, alsoTommy igoes book and cds are very good. Depending on how good he is AC/DC cds are very good to play along to. If you want a list of more just ask . Hope this helps

User Info Menu

i have always found that the 3 doors down CD "the better life" is a good cd to practice to for the rock beginners. it has alot of basic beats and fills as well as more technical stuff that go well with the songs and give a great example of how basic rock music goes together. also no bad language and great to learn from. just as larry said AC/DC is always good and other bands like the wallflowers and blue oyster cult are a bit more difficult but can still be learned.

best of luck

User Info Menu

Turn It Up, Lay It Down has amazing CDs in the rock, jazz, funk, and odd time signature genre stuff. I think he'd get a kick out of it. I've enjoyed jamming to them!

User Info Menu

I recommend the tracks included on the Rhythm Magazines always fun to play and it's always something different plus it's challenging

User Info Menu

I bought this CD and it's a great start. Although the book is written out in drum tab form, the advantage I found with this format is when the CD is played on a computer, the music is enhanced to where you can slow down the tempo without affecting the pitch of the music. The drum tabs may be a bit advanced for a 10 year old but nontheless, it's a great start to plant the seed of sight reading. You can make up your own "stuff" but it has to fit into each measure of the music.

User Info Menu

Michael Jackson!!! I dont care how good you are, anyone can jam to some good ol mj
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Various Turn It Up & Lay It Down play-along albums are available in iTunes. All tracks can be previewed and purchased individually.

If you check them out they will offer up related tunes other customers bought, which include other play-along for drums.

User Info Menu

Try and find some cd's from these artists. They have simplistic songs and should serve as a great first step to break a person into playalongs:

Tom Petty
    Aerosmith
    Rolling Stones
    AC-DC
    The White Stripes
    Kiss
    The Scorpions
    Cinderella
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post