Thread: Bass Drum Triggers??

User Info Menu

Default Bass Drum Triggers??

i'm lookin to get a trigger for my bass drum. i play in a hardcore/metal band so i need something increadibly durable yet responsive. i've been looking at the "ddrum Pro Acoustic Bass Drum Trigger", which one of my friends uses but just wanted some other opinions. also how much does it matter what brain/sampler u use? as long as the quality of the sample is good.

User Info Menu

There the ones where the down stroke of the peddal is a hit and the release stroke is a hit to ey?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tst
    i'm lookin to get a trigger for my bass drum. i play in a hardcore/metal band so i need something increadibly durable yet responsive. i've been looking at the "ddrum Pro Acoustic Bass Drum Trigger", which one of my friends uses but just wanted some other opinions. also how much does it matter what brain/sampler u use? as long as the quality of the sample is good.
    Can't say I've really used them, however the ddrum triggers do seem to be top end setups, and also Roland make some really good quality ones aswell. Just be careful as I know another member on here had problems at times with it being unable to keep up with his feet, because he used a double kick pedal on a single kick drum.

As far as the "brain/sampler" goes, it should be decent quality, only if to ensure durability and reliability. Also the better the unit, the more capabilities it has. It also needs to be able to differentiate between the vibration from your hit, as opposed to vibration from resonant noise from the other instruments etc... The trigger will notice everything, that's it's job, but it is up to he unit to decide if it was an actualy stroke, or if it was just because you hit your snare really hard, or the bass guitar is sending vibrations through the floor. Do you know what I mean? Also, the better units are the ones with the better quality samples.

Hope that helps
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Ahh i know what you mean now. Hold up ill see if i can find the ones u definatly want to get.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

ok im gonna send a email to undercity records who record a bunch of big name metal bands (seeing as metal is what uses triggers) Im just gonna ask what kinda triggers they use and hopefully i can pass on the info :> www.myspace.com/undercity i think thats the link
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters