Thread: Tuning for a shallow bass drum?

User Info Menu

Default Tuning for a shallow bass drum?

I own a Pearl Rhythm Traveller kit to practice with. It's not a bad kit, but I've continuously had a problem with the bass drum. No matter how much I tune it, it only sounds empty, no thud, just a dead beat. Granted, I'm not an expert at tuning, it's not a deep drum, and I'm only using stock heads, but I've heard other stock heads (take a look on Youtube if you'd like) that sound much better than mine. One thought is that the dampening I'm using (a towel) may be touching the heads too much, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any advice on how to tune/dampen a shallow bass drum? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning for a shallow bass drum?

I know how shallow the rhythm traveler is, in general. How do you want it tuned? Deep? Clicky? Normal? <--lol
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Not sure how you would define "normal", but probably somewhere around there. For an actual definiton, deep over clicky, definitely. I want it to sound like something fuller than hitting a brick (which is what it sounds like right now) without being too ringy, if that makes any sense.

User Info Menu

The resonant head on that is mesh isn't it? The rhythm traveler has a pretty shallow bass drum, so, it won't really sound like a 18x24 kick or anything. Not without triggers at least.
    I would try getting the batter head in tune with itself. Start by backing out all the lugs, and then tighten them finger tight. For a kick drum, I would start going around the head using 1/2 turns, till the wrinkles are gone. Tap the drum about an inch in from each lug, and try to get the same pitch at all the lugs. Once you have the head in tune with itself, you might wanna try messing with different forms of muffling. I like just keeping some paper towel taped to the head on stock heads. Kills overtones, without the thud of a blanket. Or you could try a smaller lighter blanket. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 04-13-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I really doubt you can get a decent tone out of an 8" deep kick with muffling. I'd say take the towel out and try to get it to the sound you want with overtones. Once you've got the tone you want, then experiment with muffling. I'd suggest something smaller. Maybe a couple dish rags instead of a full blown towel. You don't really have a lot of real estate in there to experiment with much else.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

You should try what Kazaamski suggest and it may work. I was not aware of the bass drum being only 8 deep. So play around with it that is all I can say.

User Info Menu

I had a RT set for a number of years and finally got a decent sound out of the bass drum after many tries. I used a Remo Powerstorke batter head (any head with an extra outer ring should work) and a Fiberskin Ambassador front head (or any single-ply thick coated head). Do not put a port hole in the front head. Start totally open, then add duct tape to the batter head a little bit at a time until it's just a bit too ringy from the throne. That should sound good out front. This is one case where you may not be able to get a good sound from your POV, but settle with a good front of the kit sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think I'll try what Kazaamski said and also remove the muffling; I didn't even think that it would sound better without it.

@Kazaamski: Though it does come with a set of mesh heads, it also comes with a default Pearl resonant head. I'm using that.

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly from a review I read about 10 years ago, I think you might like to use a single ply head with some sort of muffling applied. The review in question was for a Ludwig Club Kit, which also had a 8" or 10" deep kick. The reviewer said the stock heads were just a bit to heavy/thick, and once he put on a PowerStroke 3, he absolutely loved the sounds out of the kick. Not super big, but nice and punchy.
    Also, the batter head will control most of the pitch of the drum, while the resonant will control a lot of the feel. I usually use a really loose tuning on the batter, and a medium tension on the resonant, with a patch of napkin on the inside of the resonant to kill overtones. With an Aquarian Super Kick II batter and a coated ambassador resonant, it sounds like this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPC_7OdmHo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPC_7OdmHo[/ame]
    Last edited by Kazaamski; 04-14-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi