Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

User Info Menu

Default What's the point?

Here is probably a silly question....I've been away from playing for like 30 years...just started again last fall and am now playing with three other guys in a small country gig....I use one pedal (like the old days LOL ). What's up with this double pedal stuff?? What for? How? I play a hat and a single kick with my feet...what's up with the double kick pedal and how would and old guy even use it ????

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    Here is probably a silly question....I've been away from playing for like 30 years...just started again last fall and am now playing with three other guys in a small country gig....I use one pedal (like the old days LOL ). What's up with this double pedal stuff?? What for? How? I play a hat and a single kick with my feet...what's up with the double kick pedal and how would and old guy even use it ????
    One foot can only go so fast and also Music genre. You can expand your bass beat patterns beyond the normal. You can expand your fill patterns also. Plus there are just some songs if your going to cover almost require a double pedal.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

polygonguy, I suppose it comes down to simply learning another technique that can expand you drumming horizons. There is nothing that says that double pedals are required equipment, so it just depends on what you have as a vision for your own drumming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

pg, I used to think like you...until I actually tried it. Like you, I use a lot of hats when I play, but I'm convinced that this will add another flavor to my playing. I'm not interested in the speed craze that these young guns like....my goal is just to incorporate it into my playing and be able to inject dbl bass fills at will.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post

I play a hat and a single kick with my feet...what's up with the double kick pedal and how would and old guy even use it ????

Hahaha.............you can use that 2nd pedal as a paper weight or something to prop open the garage door.

All the young bucks like using them to play 200 bpm on the bass for that heavy metal stuff. Old duffers like you and me are usually just as fast with that single pedal.

Actually, I have thought about getting one just to mess around with for some fill type stuff. Im not into any heavy music. Im a country boy like some blues, classic rock etc.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Same reason that you would add another tom or another cymbal. It adds potential sound to your setup. You don't have to play super fast, but you can do rudiments like flams and add effective sounds.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I used to think the same way. Who needs a double pedal? I am no young buck @ 40, but I really started to use a double pedal about a year ago. After 28 years of drumming, I FINALLY purchased a nice Mapex Falcon double pedal. I believe you can add so much to your drumming with a double pedal. Yes, I am mostly in to heavy music, but I enjoy listening to all types of music. Double pedals are not all about speed. They can add so much to a simple fill. Also, I STRONGLY believe using a double pedal helps with all of your drumming coordination.

User Info Menu

I took on the double pedal to 'unlock' my left foot, it was just too used to lifting on off beats and on for the down beats.

User Info Menu

I understand the point of double bass pedals and have a double bass myself but as a newbie to drumming, I find that it just adds a level of complexity that I'm not ready for (nor do I play any songs that require the use of a double pedal). That being said, I disconnected by 2nd pedal last week and am using the single only. My instructor and I discussed the use of a double pedal too, he owns a couple. He's been playing for about 40 years now and said that he's only used one a handful of times. It was at this point that I put a song on for him called "Overkill" by Motorhead (which has some serious double bass) and after about 30 seconds of listening he was able to play it damn near spot-on using a single. So all-in-all, while I understand the "need for speed" I think that there are plenty of drummers out there who can get the necessary speed for metal with only a single. Flams, on the other hand, are beast in and of themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon2000 View Post
    I understand the point of double bass pedals and have a double bass myself but as a newbie to drumming, I find that it just adds a level of complexity that I'm not ready for (nor do I play any songs that require the use of a double pedal). That being said, I disconnected by 2nd pedal last week and am using the single only. My instructor and I discussed the use of a double pedal too, he owns a couple. He's been playing for about 40 years now and said that he's only used one a handful of times. It was at this point that I put a song on for him called "Overkill" by Motorhead (which has some serious double bass) and after about 30 seconds of listening he was able to play it damn near spot-on using a single. So all-in-all, while I understand the "need for speed" I think that there are plenty of drummers out there who can get the necessary speed for metal with only a single. Flams, on the other hand, are beast in and of themselves.
    Not to be argumentative, but there is a big difference between being on the beat and slightly off. While I can't put this Motorhead song in my head right now, keeping up with 160 bpm or more for an entire set of metal songs with one leg would be, at least for me almost unthinkable at this point. Thats where I think the double pedal or a double bass setup would save your legs not to mention overal energy. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I have'nt heard of any metal drummers out there that play with a single bass pedal. Is there any on here? Am I way off base with this thinking?

I'm not a metal drummer, but utilise a double bass mainly for what I said before, fills and alternate bass patterns. I'm not a speed demopn by any means, but like the possability of alternate sounds.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I don't disagree with you that having a double bass has it's perks but my example is simply stating that it's possible to do without double bass. Will it be harder for someone to keep pace throughout using a single? Of course; but the point is that experienced drummers who have used singles for their entire career can often pull off with a single pedal what less experienced drummers need a double pedal in order to accomplish. Simply put, it isn't impossible to get a double bass type roll with a single pedal, and more importantly, it isn't impossible to do patterned rolls with a single pedal. One simply needs the experience and talent do so.

Per Buddy Rich, "You can do anything with one foot that you can do with two, if you're a *****. And I'm a *****!" (eh, more than anything I just think the quote is hilarious)
    Last edited by Dagon2000; 04-15-2011 at 10:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but I have'nt heard of any metal drummers out there that play with a single bass pedal. Is there any on here? Am I way off base with this thinking?
    Nicko Mcbrain ????
    listen to his triplets on where eagles dare . most people would play that with DB
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

shabutie plays some pretty quick triplets on a single kick
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Hard work, one bass drum pedal..this guys a madman
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS06pQJrZdo"]YouTube - Y&T Forever[/ame]

User Info Menu

I believe this is the the reason why they invented the dual pedal for a single bass drum....: 1st song, 1st Led Zeppelin Album!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm2-K6ttHYs"]YouTube - Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times (lyrics)[/ame]

User Info Menu

spandex for the win

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh_0flD9-8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh_0flD9-8[/ame]
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

here is nicko in his clinic about bass drum speed with 1 foot
    warning people that love paiste signatures may cry LOL
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTzmGuBs6Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJTzmGuBs6Y&feature=related[/ame]
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

its nice to have it there but totally unnecessary in most situations

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    Nicko Mcbrain ????
    listen to his triplets on where eagles dare . most people would play that with DB
    Yep, gotta agree there, Nicko has always been phenomenal with a single kick. I think what you have to remember is that long before he was in Iron Maiden, he had also worked playing a whole heap of shuffles and blues-orientated rock with people like The Streetwalkers and Pat Travers, way back in the early 70's. Even guys like Tommy Lee are in awe of his single kick prowess.

Polygonguy, I would say don't worry about whether you should be playing a single kick, a double pedal, two bass drums or be an octopus with more pedals than a guitarist's effects board (lol....unless you are that inclined to do so)....the thing is, you have to master one pedal to start with. If what you want to play only requires 'boom bap, boom boom bap' and you're happy with that (after all, you mentioned that you're just coming back into playing again), then do that, have a simple set-up. If on the other hand you are curious to explore the world of double-pedalling, then no one's stopping you either. As much as I like playing double-pedal, adding percussion, etc etc, I also know the great feeling you get with playing train beats with brushes or rods on a snare and simple four piece kit with a single pedal. Yep, did four years playing nothing but shuffles, old blues-rock and Stones style songs, country and Celtic stuff in an original band after I had been with a group where they wanted me to play crazy odd-metered dissonant stuff with a ton of double kick where I had to think with polyrhythms. That's right, I'm just a bit schizoid when it comes to musical choices...hehe... so long as I'm happy doing it, I'll do it, no matter how much or how little gear I need to use. Create the music, then put the kit together that you need to serve the music with, that's my lil' saying.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    As much as I like playing double-pedal, adding percussion, etc etc, I also know the great feeling you get with playing train beats with brushes or rods on a snare and simple four piece kit with a single pedal.
    Oh yeah. Last year I was playing a lot of more complex stuff (Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold, Sound of Muzak by Porcupine Tree, Oblivion by Mastodon, Bleeder by OdESSA (one of those songs that are impossible to play unless you're bouncing up and down!) Ruin by Lamb of God, to name a few) for my classmates performance assessments, but my favourite songs to play from last year were definitely the more simple funk tunes... Brick House, Jungle Boogie and Cold Sweat. They just felt soooooooo good to play!
    Last edited by xweasel; 04-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    shabutie plays some pretty quick triplets on a single kick
    +1

He's really quick with the single pedal.

I never thought about getting a double until I felt I needed it for some songs. I love it. I still try to get quicker with one pedal too. It's all good to me.
    Last edited by LL70; 04-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

I love single pedal but if I had any gig, in any genre, I'd use a double. It gives me so many more options but a lot of drummers (namely, Joey Jordison) rely on their feet way too much. Drummers who utilze the double pedal to its full potential (Matt Greiner-August Burns Red, and the Rev-Avenged Sevenfold) are able to produce drums that sound good and that you want to play and replicate day in and day out.

For example, joey adds a lot of his own style to the song, but it's mostly double pedal.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPQNraQwFuI"]YouTube - Joey Jordison -Creeping Death[/ame]

Chris Adler. One of the best creative drummers in metal today.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEz7XM8BzI"]YouTube - Chris Adler [Modern Drummer Festival Weekend 2005] - Now That You've Got Something To Die For[/ame]

Lastly, Matt Greiner. Notice the different patterns he plays on the bass drums? It gives the song a whole new vibe and a whole wealth of opportunities to explore.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB1NQohtCGc"]YouTube - *** new matt playin new song white washed live!!![/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVkk4CWq8k"]YouTube - ***matt greiner playin composure live!!![/ame]
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Oh yeah. Last year I was playing a lot of more complex stuff (Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold, Sound of Muzak by Porcupine Tree, Oblivion by Mastodon, Bleeder by OdESSA (one of those songs that are impossible to play unless you're bouncing up and down!) Ruin by Lamb of God, to name a few) for my classmates performance assessments, but my favourite songs to play from last year were definitely the more simple funk tunes... Brick House, Jungle Boogie and Cold Sweat. They just felt soooooooo good to play!
    Ooo, good stuff, especially "Brick House". Quite a while back I read an exposé on various funk drummers from the late 70's/early 80's, guys like Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey, Jonathan Moffet ("Sugarfoot"), Garry "Jellybean" Johnson from The Time (he's the guy who co-wrote "Black Cat" with Janet Jackson), and Larry Blackmon from Cameo. Yeah, those guys that wrote "Word Up". And how's this? When he was their lead singer and drummer at the height of 70's funk, Larry was carting around a double bass kit with about four or five rack toms, unlike a lot of other players, jeez! They say his drumming is still as sharp as anything, and that when you were drumming in Cameo with Larry Blackmon looking at you, you'd better be on time, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

There are a lot of drummers that don't play metal that use the double bass too. Benny Greb and Steve Smith to name a couple. It just adds another layer I think.
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash