Thread: Tom problem

User Info Menu

Question Tom problem

when i hit my 12" tom, i get the ring. ITS NOT FROM MY SNARE. its the hardware going . idk if its the hoop, tom holder or what but it IS ANNOYING! what do you guys reccomend i do? btw its in tune.

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom problem

i had this problem once, it turned out that one lug on the bottom was slightly loose and just vibrated against the hoop. its just going to be one of those little things that you'll just have to take stuff apart untill u find it..
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

User Info Menu

I would take your tom off the mount, remove the heads, and then check every log bolt to make sure they are tight. If your heads are good, and they are in tune, then something might be loose tom. You're may have to go through one thing at a time until the problem is found.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with Pastor Bob look inside and check all the lug bolts for a lose one.

User Info Menu

I recently had a buzz coming from my 12" tom and it was a loose lug mount with only one screw in it! I tightened every nut and bolt on my kit and to my surprise only a few were totally tight on the lug mounts!

You say it is a "ring" tho and that sounds like a resonance problem to me.Maybe all you need is a little moon gel or a ring dampener.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Buzzing and ringing tend to be from loose parts. Like PB said, open up the drum, make sure nothing's loose. Don't over-tighten screws that hold the lugs on the drum or you can kill the sound of the drum.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

ThePloughman Guest

Be careful when tightening. OVER STRESSING fasteners will result in unpleasant language.

User Info Menu

Yep, I have found there can be several hardware causes to these annoying sounds. Here are a few I've come across that you might look for:

- As others said, a loose lug is the first thing to look for.
    - Make sure the rim of the tom isn't touching something else on the kit.
    - If you have RIMS mounts or any other fancy mounts, check if they are assembled correctly. I had a RIMS mount on my 16" tom that kept making a noise whenever I hit it. Turns out the two metal pieces for the mount were upside down! I turned it right side up and the sound disappeared. Took 1.5 years to find that one

The best thing to do is to isolate the drum from the mounting hardware away from the rest of the kit and see if it still makes the noise. Then, start stripping away more and more of the drum's hardware until you no longer hear the annoying sound. Then you will have found your culprit.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

I know what you mean Ethan....had that happening from one of my Ludwig toms last night. Pulling it apart tonight after the last lesson, 10-1 chance it might be the tom block working loose, that can happen.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

Larrysperf Guest

Just remember wood is only so strong when tightening stuff

User Info Menu

Hope any of the above suggestions fix your problem please let us know you outcome. Goodluck.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-23-2011 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I Find the easiest way to go about finding a buzz is to use yourself as a damper
    so as you hit the drum grab onto each lug with your hand, than parts of the tom mounts than the parts of the cymbal stands
    when your holding onto the part that buzzing the buzz will disappear or change sound due to being denser because your holding onto it
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats