Thread: Online Conga Classes? what is the best site.?

User Info Menu

Question Online Conga Classes? what is the best site.?

guys;
    I am trying to get started with the Congas. I play the Sax for years and had formal musical instruction but I always had this interest for percussion. Even when not new to music I know little about Congas and would love to have a teacher on one to one lessons. however, I live in a very remote location were a teacher is not available. (dont even ask where...)

I am just afraid of getting into bad habits but I have no choice. online classes. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what the best sites might be. on the other side, I was wondering what brand and model would you suggest to play... something I can play for a while without the need of upgrading...

comments.? suggestions.?

Top Drum Sites

User Info Menu

Default Re: Online Conga Classes? what is the best site.?

If you have a DVD player handy, I recommend this

I started with it a couple of weeks ago. It seems like a good place to start. I got mine at Amazon.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

thanks Jack, all the reviews are positive about it. I will order mine soon.

I still need to make my choice on which congas to buy. what are you playing.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eico View Post
    thanks Jack, all the reviews are positive about it. I will order mine soon.

I still need to make my choice on which congas to buy. what are you playing.?
    I bought a "vintage" pair of CP congas from a friend who hadn't played them in years. I don't know enouga.h about these things to recommend what to buy if you need to purchase new ones. I hope you have a friend with old ones that he/she isn't using.

Best to y
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

i am on the market checking what is available at a good price. let me know how are you doing with the dvd. I ordered mine already.

User Info Menu

Eico, for an out-and-out gringo like me, one of my fave instructors on YouTube that you check out, simply because he's got a great teaching style, is a guy called Rudy Quesada.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbv_moMyuo"]YouTube - Part 1 Conga Drum Open Tone for Beginners[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Online Conga Classes? what is the best site.?

I have received the DVD and need to say that is a great start. the guy takes the time to explain the technique and the basic salsa and guaguanco chapters get you hooked.

I think this is a great DVD that really helps beginners. I have already ordered his book for intermediate and advance players. ( not even close yet but worth to have around)

keep playing!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Online Conga Classes? what is the best site.?

Hey eico, it sounds like you're on your way already...

good to see another skin-slapper developing here!

I have five congas and two pairs of bongos; you'll see my church set (the ones I also use for band gigs) in the "birds-eye view" in SHOW US YOUR DRUMS! and BIRD'S EYE/DRIVER'S SEAT KIT VIEW, both in the DRUMSET thread. It consists of red-finished wood CP quinto and conga and a Remo Pancho Sanchez tumba, and LP Professional 2 series bongos, which have served me extremely well for years.

My "home" drums are a pair of black fiberglass CPs I've owned for nearly 25 years (and frankly, are full of little "character" scratches and dings)--and they still sound darn good for their age. I also have a used pair of Meinl bongos which sound awesome--and those I use for jams or takin' out just for fun.

I've said this so often I feel like a broken record, but before you decide on any bongos or congas, play as wide a selection of them as you can and hear how they sound for yourself. Then choose the ones that fit your budget... I don't know how remote your home is, but I hope you have at least access to a brother or sister hand drummer or drum store within reasonable distance.

Again, good luck and enjoy your learning journey, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanks for your feedback bongobro!

I decided to go for a pair of LP salsa model (Tumbadora and Conga) 100% wood and real skins.... ( I guess that puts me in the purist side) the sounds is nice and warm compared with some other congas I heard around... I hope sound gets even better as my technique improves.

I heard so many things about overtones and ringing in the fiberglass congas... so wood was my choice. ( it was love at first sight)

by the way I have been looking for some real good Jazz music with tons of Conga percussion I could hear..... any suggestions.?

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with Santana, always has great percussionists with him (as well as drumset players). The two guys who have been with him for quite a while now, Raul Rekow (congas) and Karl Perazzo (timbales and various percussion) are awesome to watch and hear. But even the earlier guys, Michael Carabello, Mingo Lewis, Armando Peraza, Jose "Chepito" Areas and others that he had on his albums are worth listening to. My listening and appreciation for Latin percussion came through listening to Santana, because he fuses it all....rock, Latin, jazz, blues, you name it. From there, I got to hear of many other Latin artists and bands that feature percussion, groups like Mana, Irakere, Loss Van Van....list goes on.

Or you could also check out Manolo Badrena, a percussionist who has worked with Zawinul Syndicate, Mezzoforte, Joni Mitchell, Spyro Gyra, Art Blakey, Bill Evans, Steve Khan, Carla Bley, Ahmad Jamal, and others, if you're looking at the jazz and fusion side of things. Just another suggestion.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 06-13-2011 at 05:01 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8