Thread: Which songs to learn.

User Info Menu

Default Which songs to learn.

Hey guys, me again with another stupid question

First of all the scenario I guess, I started practising paradiddles, double and single stroke rolls a while back - maybe 4 months. And for my birthday last week I received a drum kit. I want to learn some songs but I am just so impatient, and the songs I have found to be easy I just find make my 4 months of practise on anything I could find completely void.

I tried playing 'Yellow - Coldplay' and couldn't do the bit on the hi-hat (sorry for the lack of terminology) where you hit when open and then close the hats. My limb independence isn't good enough for that just yet.

I guess what I'm saying is are there any songs that are challenging, but with a basic beat that I could learn?

No limb independence, no fancy fills just something solid - preferably rock.

Anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which songs to learn.

My first songs were:
    1. Warning - Green Day, not very challenging but it got me playing along with the music
    2. Reptilia - The Strokes, a lil better and more fun to play
    3. Song 2 - Blur, still remains one of my favourite songs to play

Hope this helps although it's all personal preference in the end, go on youtube and check out covers of people playing your favourite music untill you come across one that you think you'll be able to play, good luck

User Info Menu

I put together a playlist for the two guys I teach, see if any of these float you boat...

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
    Bad Moon Rising - CCR
    Hotel Yorba - White Stripes
    Spitting Games - Snow Patrol
    Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
    Here COmes Your Man - Pixies
    Ballrooms of Mars - T-REX
    Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
    Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
    White Wedding - Billie Idol
    Billie Jean - MJ

Also...

Kashmir - Led Zepp

~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaaidn View Post
    Hey guys, me again with another stupid question

First of all the scenario I guess, I started practising paradiddles, double and single stroke rolls a while back - maybe 4 months. And for my birthday last week I received a drum kit. I want to learn some songs but I am just so impatient, and the songs I have found to be easy I just find make my 4 months of practise on anything I could find completely void.

I tried playing 'Yellow - Coldplay' and couldn't do the bit on the hi-hat (sorry for the lack of terminology) where you hit when open and then close the hats. My limb independence isn't good enough for that just yet.

I guess what I'm saying is are there any songs that are challenging, but with a basic beat that I could learn?

No limb independence, no fancy fills just something solid - preferably rock.

Anyone?
    Classic rock. Some of the easiest beats.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I just recently started using songs as practice and I've found that pretty much any song can have a basic drum beat attached to it and doesn't necessarily have to be played "spot on". I have two songs that I know how to play as they were recorded and several others I just mess around with. To me, the important part of practicing with a song isn't to necessarily do what the original drummer did, but to add your own flavor up to your current skill level and then to try things out that are out of your comfort zone. For me, my fills are weak so if I don't know the song I just play a basic beat with it and really try to focus on counting and adding fills. So that's my opinion - try to play whatever you feel like playing and add your own beat if it's too challenging. You'll find that things that are hard right now won't be in a month just from messing around with the songs.

User Info Menu

Ok, I didn't have time to list some songs in my last post, but I got alittle time now.

Dokken has some real easy bass patterns. The fills and accents are also pretty easy. What I like about playing their songs is that they are up tempo and just fun to play. Heres a couple I play regularly.

Dream Warriors
    Breaken the Chains

Another group I like to play is Rainbow. Again pretty simple all around.

Stone Cold
    Street of Dreams

If you like snare work and nifty fills, Deeply Purple is fun to play with.

Knockin At Your Backdoor
    Perfect Strangers

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Almost- Bowling for soup.

Its a pretty simple song, but there are a few parts that will trip you up, which is important for learning.

Also. ACDC.....anything by them pretty much. Thunderstruck was the first song I ever learned.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
    PDP FS 5-piece (Tobacco Burst) | Paiste PST 5 Cymbals

User Info Menu

All I can say is: CCR and AC/DC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    classic rock. Some of the easiest beats.
    +1
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

start with basic songs then go to harder songs
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

One of my favorite songs to play along to is "Vultures" by the John Mayer Trio with Steve Jordan behind the kit. This song isn't particularly difficult to play but when listening to Steve you just strive harder and harder to groove like him and stay in the pocket. Lot of fun.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

If you're into heavy stuff, Psychosocial by Slipknot. Very straightforward and it's the first song I ever learned how to play. I'd also suggest Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold, along with just plain classic rock. I'd really stress playing to rap/hip-hop too, because it has a built in click, which will develop your sense of time. And you can always add a fill or two of your own into rap songs, which makes it fun.

-Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

jam out to MJ man. Easy easy drumming, and u can throw in anything u like, its gonna fit! when i have nothing to do when im practicing, i throw on like an hours worth of MJ and just groove on it. best hour of my day. also, paradiddles arent just for the Snare line or the practice pad. Fitting paradiddles in around the kit can make some awwwwesome fills. just experiment with em! you'll be suprised!
    Last edited by drmn4life; 04-13-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    If you're into heavy stuff, Psychosocial by Slipknot. Very straightforward and it's the first song I ever learned how to play. I'd also suggest Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold, along with just plain classic rock. I'd really stress playing to rap/hip-hop too, because it has a built in click, which will develop your sense of time. And you can always add a fill or two of your own into rap songs, which makes it fun.

-Jordison
    I learnt up until the tom roll on psychosocial, but my roll just wasn't consistent enough at that speed to keep up. I have however though just started learning 'Through the glass' which has a couple of bits that will throw me off but I guess its harder bits that strengthen your playing. Thanks alot for all the comments and I will try to learn some of them and very much appreciate your input.

User Info Menu

Hey man, don't expect to be good overnight, it comes with time.

I remember when I thought "Whiskey in the Jar" was the hardest song in the world. So DO NOT worry about your hands xD

Check it.

User Info Menu

Also, the tom roll is mostly double pedal- it's two hits on the 1st rack, 2 hits on the 2nd rack over 16ths on the bass. The only trouble I might see you really running into is on the breakdown.

Check it.

User Info Menu

AH! Some basic good stuff? How about:
    Hendrix-
    Red House(slow blues),
    Fire(up-tempo rock),
    Can you see me?(medium tempo rock with lots of fills)

Jack Bruce-The Clearout(medium tempo/jazzy rock)

Procol Harum-
    Whiter Shade of Pale(slow),
    Whiskey Train(up-tempo/cowbell),
    Hey Joe(slow/heavy with cymbal play pauses)

Each one features something different, uses a different approach to the ol' 4/4Uh-oh, showing my age again!
    Last edited by slinglander; 04-13-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Beer Barrel Polka.
    Once you mastered it (don't take long) you can play all polkas.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

try toxicity by soad its not the greatest song but it was the first song i learnt and when i gotta better i added in all the ghost notes that i couldnt do when i was a noob.
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.