Thread: Wrist/arm issues

User Info Menu

Default Wrist/arm issues

Hey everyone-

I was drumming the other day and I was practicing the moeller technique and after 5 minutes of that my wrist started hurting and that quickly spread to my entire forearm. That was two days ago and it still bothers me a lot, and I haven't drummed since, but i'm definitely drumming later today to see how it goes. Should this be a cause for concern? It only hurts when I make a sudden movement back, like when I drum, etc.

-Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist/arm issues

possible strain, possible tendinitis. If it hurts, stop and see a doctor.

One of my guitar playing friends has chronic tendinitis because he played through the pain (and sadly he doesn't play guitar much anymore).

There's a certain kind of pain that's fine to play through, but you'd know it, it's like the working out kind of pain. Anyway. GL. Hope it goes well.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I crashed my bicycle and had trouble making a fist with my left hand a little over a year ago. I found squeezing a stress ball everyday with regular reps helped me a lot, and has strengthened my forearms and wrists.

If you don't already, thoroughly stretch before doing any drum activity and stay hydrated. I use the three day rule with any kind of medical question (that is, if any symptom lasts for more than three days straight, it's time to get checked out). You may also want to consider taking breaks more often during your playing sessions, and/or easing in and out of the sessions with slower, simpler parts.

What else have you been up to recently? Are you spending more time typing or playing video games by any chance?

You may also want to consider altering the layout of your kit if you're only experiencing pain after drumming. My right shoulder started to scream at me and the only thing that helped was to get rid of a tom and drop my ride to just above my kick. It was really hard for me to accept since I was only 25 at the time, but it's really helped.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Follow MrB's advice, especially the stretching part.
    I found that when starting or using a new sticking technique, you're using muscles, etc. in a new, different way that's puts a new stress on them. Usually my neck and shoulders ache after that, a sure sign to lighten up and shorten that session and resume slowly. Months later you'll be doing the same things that caused pain and not even realize it used to hurt!

User Info Menu

Good tips MrB!

I was wondering if you hurt your wrist by moving your kit. If it doesn't get better it would be good to get it checked out so you can take care of it right away. Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

I played a bit today and it wasn't too bad so I guess holding off from drums tomorrow will probably be in my best interest. I haven't really done anything MrB. Truth be told, I haven't played video games in weeks Typing? Nah, I don't think so. I think it just came from drumming. I was thinking about playing today instead of drums but, like always, drums won. Nechre, I was thinking it was a strain myself. Like I said it's probably best for me to hold off until monday when my band records. I don't want to play bad because of my wrist so I want to give it enough rest. Slinglander I do play semi-stiff normally and that feels fine to me and it hasn't given me any problems, but I think just the whipping motion from the moeller technique kinda screwed me up a bit because it's just not what i'm used to. LL I have no plans on moving my kit anytime soon, lol.

Thanks guys,

Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

See what your doctor has to say before you do any further drumming activity. Sure, it may be from only drumming, as you say, but you don't know whether is is a simple muscular strain, tendonitis, or could be the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). If you do use a technique that is new for you, you should go through it gently and slowly at first to warm up, then start to gain your speed and power in increments. Don't hammer at things, the power will come with time. Also, take breaks when you're working on things. The human body is not made to be kep in the one position for hours on end, whether you're standing, sitting upright and playing or whatever. Unfortunately sometimes we get so caught up doing what we do, whether playing a particular pattern, sitting for ages doing a report at our work desks or playing sports, that we sometimes don't notice that any poor movement, over a period of time, wears on a particular joint, muscle or soft tissue until it is too late and the damage is done. This is what you'd call an accumulative trauma, as opposed to an immediate injury, and all matter of RSI's seem to fall under this category.(RSI = repetitive strain injuries...really, an umbrella term for different traumas showing similar symptoms). Jordison, are you taking lessons at the moment? If so, your drum teacher should have pointed out any problems with technique quite a while back, especially if you were introduced to a new one. Stretching and warming up should be an essential part of any lesson, whether playing light or heavy.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It's okay now Drumbledore. I played today the way I usually play, and I had no problems. *phew*

User Info Menu

What I thought might happen with a little break...
    Good news!

User Info Menu

I guess it means stop using the moeller technicque cause it ain't for you or you are doing it wrong.

User Info Menu

Just a strain from the new technique I guess.Your muscles need to be trained into the new movements.I would try it for a while and give it a break then go back to it again back and forth gradually.I think you worked it too hard all at once.Glad to hear you are better again Jordi.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.