Thread: Just Past Wrinkle

User Info Menu

Default Just Past Wrinkle

For certain things, I really like the sound you get out of toms when the batter and reso heads are just past wrinkle with the batter head slightly tighter than the reso. Any problems with that I should know about other than stick action is pretty much non-existant?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just Past Wrinkle

No expert but it's probably easier to split the head too..

User Info Menu

This is exactly how I tune my toms. The only problem I've had with the lugs relatively loose to accomplish this, is that they loosen up even more, pretty easily. So, I have one of those torque-lug-wrench thingies and I do a "quick tune" through-out my practice sessions. It's not perfect, but it keeps them sounding pretty good.

Randy

User Info Menu

As was stated above, the lugs will loosen themselves up easier. And you'll put dents in the heads too.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

a dab o' silly cone will keep them from loosening, or blue loctite
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

You'll burn through heads a lot quicker. And while your drums might sound good from the drivers seat, they will have no projection, and from 10 feet or with a band will have zero cut or tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You'll burn through heads a lot quicker. And while your drums might sound good from the drivers seat, they will have no projection, and from 10 feet or with a band will have zero cut or tone.
    +1 whith all NR say

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Absolutely agree.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great information! Marko138 and Northern Redneck, you guys are spot on. The projection is terrible and I'm sure if I kept them tuned like that I'd go thru heads like nobody's business. Texdrumr and tah821, yep...the lugs do loosen. I'm not goiing to keep them like this, I just thought that for some applications, the sound was right.

Anyway, since I have some of you guys' attention, I have another question. I'm trying to get a sound that is short in sustain and descends in tone. I don't want what I currently get which is a short sustain and a quick ascend in tone before it descends. Any suggestions? I've messed around with both the reso head and batter head till my head hurts. Thanks.

Larrysperf Guest

EC2 Nuff Said

User Info Menu

+ 1 on the EC2's also inthpktplayer if you give your heads a 1/2 turn over finger tight you will get the right tone and your heads will love it.

User Info Menu

I think Matt Halpern from Periphery does this. He likes his floor tom to sound like a kick so it adds to his double bass. But yea, they'd loosen up faster and would be more prone to denting and/or ripping. Maybe save that technique for when you get endorsed. Just expect a look like this every time you ask for new heads:

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

This works for the kick drum.I like a tight head to roll on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Yeah, stick rebound sucks on loose heads.

You'll get sighs of frustration from audio engineers when you record with your drums like this, and they'll sound thudy and dead through the overheads (and therefore, overall will sound thudy and dead). Like others have said, they just don't cut through the other instruments, and because they're so low tuned, they'll muddy up the mix really easily. And yes, you can utterly destroy heads by denting the crud out of them, especially if you lay into them.

But if you're only playing with yourself, or jamming out with friends, tune em how you like.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I think as you evolve as a drummer you move away from that super low tuning. I know I have.

User Info Menu

Truth. Sounds amazing mic'd up though, that's how my Pinnies all are.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the knowledge. Pearl MCX Man, I will give that a try but I don't think its that easy. Every once in a while I like experimenting with things to explore (tuning, drum placement, technique, etc), you never know what you may find. Again thanks.

User Info Menu

I've realised that mucking around is a really good thing because you learn more about your kit and the best thing about it - nobody else can really tell you anything because YOU are the one using it. Sure advice is lovely but it's all up to you. One gets this awesome sense of achievement after all the tuning and tweaking is done and when one hears the sound that is emitted from one's kit it is the most mindblowing thing! It is absolutely priceless and the family will love it because you are enjoying yourself and at one with your kit. There's really nothing like it!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

this is always a typical tuning technique for the kick. it does work on toms, but you can mess up your heads (as stated above).

kick technique: tune the resonant head just beyond wrinkle, then tune the batter head until the vibrations match. you will find the batter will be slightly higher that the resonant.

User Info Menu

This was a very helpful thread!
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I think as you evolve as a drummer you move away from that super low tuning. I know I have.
    as have i , seems the more i play drums, the more i like hearing actual "drums" the new guys gotta realize how ,altered , the drum sound on a new cd is
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    this is always a typical tuning technique for the kick. it does work on toms, but you can mess up your heads (as stated above).

kick technique: tune the resonant head just beyond wrinkle, then tune the batter head until the vibrations match. you will find the batter will be slightly higher that the resonant.
    mine are under wrinkle, lots of attack, and no weird pedal feel!
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    I've realised that mucking around is a really good thing because you learn more about your kit and the best thing about it - nobody else can really tell you anything because YOU are the one using it. Sure advice is lovely but it's all up to you. One gets this awesome sense of achievement after all the tuning and tweaking is done and when one hears the sound that is emitted from one's kit it is the most mindblowing thing! It is absolutely priceless and the family will love it because you are enjoying yourself and at one with your kit. There's really nothing like it!
    yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,the family enjoys it .lol
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    mine are under wrinkle, lots of attack, and no weird pedal feel!
    My kick is tuned higher than wrinking...with the batter being higher than the reso. The 20" kick with a single ply head has a much different feel to it than the 22" 2-ply I had been using for years and years.