Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording advice - Interfaces

User Info Menu

Default Recording advice - Interfaces

hey guys,

i've decided to venture into the world of recording drums im going 2 get a pair of 2 overhead condensors and then i will get a snare mic and kick mic. What is the difference between an AD/DA converter and a audio interface-my understand at this minute is that the do the same thing.

So now how do i go about connecting the mics i will obviously need mic preamps minimum 4 this will need to be able to connect to my computer. what is the best way to do this? 1 interface with pre amps, seperate pre amps then a interace, or a ad/da?

thanks guys your always heaps of help
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording advice - Interfaces

AD/DA= interface. And right now Digi 003 on ebay are going pretty cheap. They come with 4 preamps built in and 4 TRS inputs. Light pipe in four an additional 8 inputs and SPDF input for an additional two inputs for a grand total 18 inputs. Runs with pro tools. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I would not mess with separate preamps unless you are willing to spend about 500-1000 dollars per channel as the ones built into the interface will do just fine and to hear the difference you are going to need an acoustically treated room you are recording in.

User Info Menu

thanks, but thats to expensive for me, stuff in aus is like 3 times the price and im only starting out with this stuff. have any recomendations or cheaper?
    My Kit:
    Sabian AAX-Treme China 17", Paiste PST3 14" Hats-16" Crash-20" Ride.
    Heads- Pinstripes on toms, Emad on Kick, Ec2 on top of snare, Ambassador on bottom of snare.
    Pearl Dr-80 Rack
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal-Chain Drive
    Cheap Hi Hat Stand With Drop Clutch
    Actual Drums-10,12,14 toms, 22 kick ,14 snare- its a cheap kit rebranded by the store i bought it from.

Larrysperf Guest

You can get a pretty good recording from a digital camera also. set up about 5 ft from drums

User Info Menu

you could go for alesis firewire or usb. but make sure its USB 2.0 or you will only get a stereo mix when recording

the alesis come with cubase LE so you get a decent audio editing programme
    Last edited by sheoth; 04-18-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

work out how many mics you are willing to buy then get a interface to suit
    Last edited by itchie; 04-18-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: lesser the rant

User Info Menu

I posted a similar thread here also.

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...55&postcount=5

I think I need my own private engineer...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

I think I need my own private engineer...

User Info Menu

One of the cheapest interfaces with multiple inputs is an M-Audio Delta 1010LT . You can find them used for about 100 bucks or 200 new. It does have 2 built in preamps but you will need a mixer to record up to 10 channels.

User Info Menu

spending a bit more and buying a mixing desk with usb or fire wire out might be better option for learning sound on

User Info Menu

I just bought a Behringer Xenix 1202FX at by local big box store, plus 4 cables. Look for a new video from me after I learn how to use this stuff... LOL!

Honestly, I wanted more than just 4 XLR inputs. This will get me kick, snare and overhead x/y, which should sound great, but I'm not recording a Bon Jovi album. I'm goofing off in my basement for youtube vids and recording music for enjoyment. I really dont need more than that.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I just bought a Behringer Xenix 1202FX at by local big box store, plus 4 cables. Look for a new video from me after I learn how to use this stuff... LOL!

Honestly, I wanted more than just 4 XLR inputs. This will get me kick, snare and overhead x/y, which should sound great, but I'm not recording a Bon Jovi album. I'm goofing off in my basement for youtube vids and recording music for enjoyment. I really dont need more than that.
    Hey I have the 1204FX usb small world. Great mixer. Ok when your done with the engineer send him over lol

User Info Menu

The M-Audio profire 2626 is a great unit. It has 8 preamps, 2 headphone controls and a master control. You get more for you buck than the 003

I would recommend RME or Apogee if its in you budget.

Firewire is the way to go for interfaces.

User Info Menu

if your not using ada converters for the extra channels ....then your crazy in the coconut

User Info Menu

itchie....what you mean ??........if your not using ada converters for the extra channels ....then your crazy in the coconut
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Your going to want a USB 2.0 or firewire. There is no real difference between the two, other than the firewire sending data a bit faster than USB 2.0.
    Not a real big deal.

For starting out, what you need is a US800 if you can find one used or on eBay. Discontinued, but very nice and works great. Has everything you need too.

I can't believe I'm posting this... I mean, hopefully he's found an interface by now lol
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Phonic 808 is my choice. Has all kinds of connections including usb 2.0 AND firewire. Full size interface, 8 xlrs among other inputs. Worth the money, just make sure you got the appropriate and current drivers for it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    itchie....what you mean ??........if your not using ada converters for the extra channels ....then your crazy in the coconut
    its by far the cheapest option for home studios to have a main interface of 8 channels and then a ADA converter for the extra channels via firewire or light pipe

a good cheap one is the behringer ada8000

User Info Menu

I'm using a presonus firestudio 26 x 26.....just started the recording bit, and am by no means an expert, but it seems to work well.

User Info Menu

^ that's one of the best ones out there! I think you made a great choice, i've heard great things about them. They were one of my top considerations before I pulled the trigger on my interface. Can't lose with firewire(low latency), as long as your computer has a port for it which some older ones do not.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    ^ that's one of the best ones out there! I think you made a great choice, i've heard great things about them. They were one of my top considerations before I pulled the trigger on my interface. Can't lose with firewire(low latency), as long as your computer has a port for it which some older ones do not.
    ....just got a new macbook pro...it has the firewire 800....just been tinkering so far....hard to find enough time
    Last edited by longgun; 03-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I'm using a presonus firestudio 26 x 26.....just started the recording bit, and am by no means an expert, but it seems to work well.
    I was looking pretty hard at the Presonus interfaces, but I wound up going with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on the recommendation of a friend. Potato/potahto - probably very similiar in capability. They are both firewire with tons of signal routing capability and solid preamps - I probably would have been good to go with either one, and I haven't really even touched on the full capability of my interface.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I was looking pretty hard at the Presonus interfaces, but I wound up going with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on the recommendation of a friend. Potato/potahto - probably very similiar in capability. They are both firewire with tons of signal routing capability and solid preamps - I probably would have been good to go with either one, and I haven't really even touched on the full capability of my interface.
    ...looked at the Saffire also....just got the firestudio at a great price.....I think either has way more capabilities than I can use right now.....what I liked about the presonus, it can be linked with other presonus to add tracks if necessary.......even though I don't think I'll ever use more than 26....not sure if you can do that with the Saffire, I assume you can, but don't know.

User Info Menu

It sticks in my mind that the original version of the Saffire pro 40 didn't allow for daisy chaining to allow for more tracks, but I think that it has since been built in, and I believe the one I have allows that. I won't ever need it though - if I get to a place where I really need the extra tracks, I'll probably be at a level of production where I'll invest in something else, like the Presonus Studio Live. (Yeah - not likely to happen.)
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    It sticks in my mind that the original version of the Saffire pro 40 didn't allow for daisy chaining to allow for more tracks, but I think that it has since been built in, and I believe the one I have allows that. I won't ever need it though - if I get to a place where I really need the extra tracks, I'll probably be at a level of production where I'll invest in something else, like the Presonus Studio Live. (Yeah - not likely to happen.)
    ....+1, don't think I'll ever need it either.........a studio live mixer looks like it would be a lot of fun.....but man they are pricey.