Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

User Info Menu

Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    this is no joke, rich's back is really messed up. he couldn't go fishing last weekend when i know for a fact that he wanted to go badly. back problems can crumble you very quickly. the worst back pain i have had only lasted for 3 days, rich has been talking to me about this for almost 2 weeks.

in my own experiances with back pain, whenever i tried to move my arms, legs, or even clench my jaw, it sent a stabbing sensation through my whole body. my best bet was to just stay still and let it heal.

the entire band and crew (your brothers) send their highest regards into your well being.
    Thanks brother! Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread to share pics of the latest show. Damage Over Time opened for Wayne Static of Static X at the Ace of Spades in Sacramento last night:

There were 6 bands total. Opening bands had a 15 minute setup time and a 20 minute set but as the pecking order climbed higher so did the playing time on stage. For DOT, this resulted in only playing 4 songs. That's just the way it goes.

This is the call sheet from last night's show. Take note on how tight the time schedule is laid out. It's critical to start and end on time. In this case, DOT was allowed to use their equipment and DamageDrummer (Jerry) used his own kit along with my Rudes but there were other bands that decided to share equipment in order to have more playing time.

This was how each band was setup prior to the stage call for backline. Kits were fully set up and guitar amps and effect racks were staged on the floor:

We set up Jerry's kit backstage in a corner. Amps and keyboard and effect racks were already backlined on stage at this point:

Last edited by late8; 09-28-2011 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Load in was through the front door with a loading zone just a few feet from the entrance of the club and load out was through a backstage side street exit.

There was a security guard posted by the side door to keep a watchful eye out for gear that exits the club:

Wayne Static's sound check:

Getting ready to start the DOT set:

User Info Menu

The 20 minute set begins:

User Info Menu

And as quickly as it starts...it ends:

User Info Menu

Good stuff guys! Love to follow this journey with you two.

For me...I hate those 20 minute set shows. We won't play them. It's just not much fun for us. Glad you got to do a show with one of your favs though, Jerry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    For me...I hate those 20 minute set shows. We won't play them.
    There are cirumstances beyond the control of the promoter, club and the bands. Within the Sacramento city business districts downtown, there is a 11:00pm curfew for clubs and drinking establishments specific to the location of this particular area. Due to the increase in crime and gang violence at night, the city's only weapon to fight this crime is to shut things down at 11:00pm. After hours gang turf wars claims yet another victim; a thriving night life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    There are cirumstances beyond the control of the promoter, club and the bands. Within the Sacramento city business districts downtown, there is a 11:00pm curfew for clubs and drinking establishments specific to the location of this particular area. Due to the increase in crime and gang violence at night, the city's only weapon to fight this crime is to shut things down at 11:00pm. After hours gang turf wars claims yet another victim; a thriving night life.

Oh I understand that man. Around here it's just clubs being jerk offs. So we don't play those place(s) anymore. It's too bad really, for you guys out there and for bands around here. But there are no shortage of bands here who will step in and play those shows.

User Info Menu

Oh I understand that man. Around here it's just clubs being jerk offs. So we don't play those place(s) anymore. It's too bad really, for you guys out there and for bands around here. But there are no shortage of bands here who will step in and play those shows.
    As you know when a known act rolls into town, local bands like DOT who open for them must have solid local ticket sale averages per show to be able to be considered on the bill. This puts tremendous pressure on any band. A block of tickets could cost a local band thousands and the tickets are scanned at the door to track true attendance at each show. This in my opinion, levels the playing field so you can't buy your band in. A 20 minute shot with a known act? You never know who's out there in the crowd watching...

User Info Menu

sure looks like fun .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

As you know when a known act rolls into town, local bands like DOT who open for them must have solid local ticket sale averages per show to be able to be considered on the bill. This puts tremendous pressure on any band. A block of tickets could cost a local band thousands and the tickets are scanned at the door to track true attendance at each show. This in my opinion, levels the playing field so you can't buy your band in. A 20 minute shot with a known act? You never know who's out there in the crowd watching...

Absolutely. I'm glad Jerry and you were able to make it a great night!

User Info Menu

nice posting rich! you are the picture king dude, i diddnt even know you took half of those. what else do you have pictures of?

this was a pretty good show. being as it was in the middle of the week, the club wasn't as packed as it gets on Friday, and weekend nights. i was also pretty winded on stage because i had been at work earlier that day. i was able to watch wayne static do a couple of songs during soundcheck, and i must say i was up most impressed. his stuff sounded great!

yes, for all those who are wondering, Wayne static DID have his hair spiked up. his hair soared over everything when he walked off stage. it was an awesome experience to see that for myself.

the shorter sets dont bother me too much as long as we dont play first, especially when playing for someone big. much like our past mushroomhead show, i was asked to share another kit at this show also, which was a DDrum, which i declined.

always a huge thanks to rich, he covers alot for our band and knows how to handle things. my drums were already in a holding area and out of the cases before i even arrived at the club. i had a 1 hour window of time to get off of work and be at the club, so i really wouldn't have been able to do this show without him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    nice posting rich! you are the picture king dude, i diddnt even know you took half of those. what else do you have pictures of?

this was a pretty good show. being as it was in the middle of the week, the club wasn't as packed as it gets on Friday, and weekend nights. i was also pretty winded on stage because i had been at work earlier that day. i was able to watch wayne static do a couple of songs during soundcheck, and i must say i was up most impressed. his stuff sounded great!

yes, for all those who are wondering, Wayne static DID have his hair spiked up. his hair soared over everything when he walked off stage. it was an awesome experience to see that for myself.

the shorter sets dont bother me too much as long as we dont play first, especially when playing for someone big. much like our past mushroomhead show, i was asked to share another kit at this show also, which was a DDrum, which i declined.

always a huge thanks to rich, he covers alot for our band and knows how to handle things. my drums were already in a holding area and out of the cases before i even arrived at the club. i had a 1 hour window of time to get off of work and be at the club, so i really wouldn't have been able to do this show without him.
    Thats great man. Weekday shows can be tough. I know how awesome it is to share the stage with a band you look up to. I played with the Misfits almost 10 years ago. It was a blast.

Now...obviously not the "real" Misfits with Danzig...but it was awesome none the less.

User Info Menu

did I miss it somewhere?? is there word on the video?
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    did I miss it somewhere?? is there word on the video?
    Good question! What' the hold up?

User Info Menu

Good question! What' the hold up?
    Waiting for the CD to be printed. Video can't be released until the CD is ready. Both will be released together as a package. Thanks for the question! I saw the preview.....looks killer!!!!

Gearing up for the next show in Sacramento. DOT is opening up for Cavalera Conspiracy (Max Cavalera from Soulfly) and OTEP.

Last edited by late8; 11-03-2011 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Waiting for the CD to be printed. Video can't be released until the CD is ready. Both will be released together as a package. Thanks for the question! I saw the preview.....looks killer!!!!

Gearing up for the next show in Sacramento. DOT is opening up for Cavalera Conspiracy (Max Cavalera from Soulfly) and OTEP.

NICE! That's a big show. Big things happening for these guys!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread to share some pics of last night's show. The national "package" as they were refered as included the headliner Cavalera Conspiracy, OTEP and Earth Crisis. Damage Over Time was one of two local bands on the bill and had the 2nd spot on the line-up with a 30 minute set.

Igor Cavalera's kit was a Pearl MasterWorks with some amazing artwork on the reso heads of both bass drums.

I was blown away by the size of the rack tom.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Pedals were Pearl Eliminators with the black cam.

Main hats were on a remote pedal.

Backline before doors opened.

User Info Menu

Solid turnout for the show. DOT had a good showing of fans and sold out their block of tickets (100) @ $20.00 each and needed more to satisfy the demand but were unable to get anymore to sell. This gave the band the covetted second spot on the bill following the first local band.

Jerry (DamageDrummer) brought it "on" and blew the doors off and the entire road crew of 3 including myself handled the tear down while the entire band had an imprompto "meet and greet" next to their mechant table after their set was done.

DOT had a great show and it was a blast to be part of it! The thing I enjoy the most is each member of the band is so nice and thankful for what we do as the crew. They treat us with respect and know the job is a challenge. It's a great feeling to see the bands smiling faces as they leave each show knowing that we made it a bit easier for them to concentrate on their music and performance. That's what roadies do best!!

User Info Menu

Awesome stuff.
    Thanks Mark. I didn't realize it at the time but after I studied the pics a bit closer, I noticed that both rack toms are supported by two Optimounts. I also noticed the white tape that was used to number each piece of gear was obvious and looked "tacky" up close but not noticeable from the front of the stage. This little tip will save time. The last labeling I did was in vain since each label was too small to read.

User Info Menu

Rich, I love this thread. It's really awesome to follow along on the journey. Great insight to the behind the scene stuff from you, brother. You and Jerry make a great team by the looks of things. And they are playing with some great (huge!) bands too!

User Info Menu

Rich, I love this thread. It's really awesome to follow along on the journey. Great insight to the behind the scene stuff from you, brother. You and Jerry make a great team by the looks of things. And they are playing with some great (huge!) bands too!
    Thanks again Mark. You probably already know this but I learned a valuable lesson on band merch I'd like to pass along to those bands just starting out:

• Introduce yourself to the person in charge of band merch for the national touring bands if your band has merch to sell. Helps to break the "ice". Business is "Dog Eat Dog" and it's shows class to not threaten their "game"
    • The national touring bands set up merch first. They get first dibs on the best spot.
    • For this show, locals were allowed 2 items. One t-shirt and one CD.

I ran into some heat from the merch guy from Cavalera Conspiracy. Although he was very polite, I can tell he wasn't too keen on the idea of sharing any space with the local bands and he made it quite clear that we were the last thing on his mind to help out. The promoter had to step in and allowed us space on the floor despite the large crowd.

User Info Menu

You never know what new bit of interesting info. will pop up on this thread. I really appreciate you and Jerry chronicling this experience.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!