Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

User Info Menu

Default DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

I've been working with DamageDrummer for the last few weeks as a drum tech/roadie for his metal band Damage Over Time and want to share some pics of our first show together last night.

Damage's band was one of two local bands that opened for Mushroomhead and Hed PE and they did a fantasic job of setting the stage for was to come for the rest of the evening.

Last edited by late8; 04-18-2011 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

The Kit:

Due to time constraints, the entire show (6 bands) had to finish by 11:00pm so the first 3 bands shared some of the same gear which included the drum kit of the 4th band which was a black Crush kit.

Tom sizes on the Crush kit were 8, 10, 12 and a 16"x16" floor tom. Damage used my Rude cymbals, his snare, Alpha chinas and double pedals.

Mushroomheads drum kit was a double bass kit with four additional bass drums that were at the front of the stage.

The four bass drums were played by two additional drummers and were rigged with high pressure water hoses that were hidden from view and water surged upwards through colored lights as they were played in sync with the music.
    Last edited by late8; 04-19-2011 at 12:39 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can't say enough about how welcome I feel about being part of Damage Over Time and being able to be DamageDrummer's (Jerry's) drum tech is an honor. I'll always remember my first show with them and these images of Mushroomhead courtesy of DamageDrummer:

Last edited by late8; 04-18-2011 at 04:24 AM.

User Info Menu

cool Rich
    nice pic and congrad for the job

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    cool Rich
    nice pic and congrad for the job
    Thanks Ricky! Damage is an awesome drummer. Just to watch him play is something else and the rest of the band is just great.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

that looks awesome, do one of you guys want to pay for me to come over to the US to tech for you??
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Great photos and story guys. Damage, you must obviously be stoked having Late8 as your tech, that guy sure knows his gear, and nice that you got him introduced to (hed) P.E. and Mushroomhead. This is why we've got such a great fraternity amongst players. Seems like you two had a ball.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Dang, looks like that was a pretty awesome night. How did those Crush drums sound?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

That's a sweet gig! Sounds fun. Was it just one show or is this a tour?

User Info Menu

How cool that the 2 of you got to hook up Rich. Is this going to be a regular thing?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Awesome! DD is very lucky to have you as his drum tech!

User Info Menu

Thats awesome late 8 dude 2 of my favorite dcers teaming up
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

That is so cool!The only thing better would be for all of DC to get together for a jam!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IfSabianWasCheap View Post
    looks frikkin' epic dudee!!! :D
    It was an epic introduction to today's metal. At age 51, my "metal" bands were Led Zeppelin and the like. I'm open minded to every form of music and I respect each genre for what it has to offer. Honestly speaking, I couldn't recite a lyric from any of the music from the headliners but the performance level and the art behind the music was much appreciated by this newb. The hurdle that I faced as I try to learn fast double kick playing was to never have witnessed it in person. I have a clearer picture of the application and how and where the rapid bass drum stroke fit in the whole scheme of the music.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    that looks awesome, do one of you guys want to pay for me to come over to the US to tech for you??
    Cheers markthechuck! did you say pay? Nah, the start of this venture is purely for fun, fellowship, and an opportunity to watch and learn some awesome drumming from Damage. I have so much respect for DrumChat now that I've personally met my first member. The modesty of the pros and the help they provide is why this forum so popular in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Great photos and story guys. Damage, you must obviously be stoked having Late8 as your tech, that guy sure knows his gear, and nice that you got him introduced to (hed) P.E. and Mushroomhead. This is why we've got such a great fraternity amongst players. Seems like you two had a ball.
    Drumbledore, the introduction was a fantastic experience. I've spent the last two weekends at the bands studio in the beautiful foothills of Nevada City CA, where the treeline changes to pine trees. This is certainly a change from the flat agriculture land that I'm accustomed to seeing on a daily bases. After studying Damage's kit and the first hand knowledge gained by last night's show on how crucial it is to get on and off stage within a 10 minute window, we are going to set his kit up on a rack to move it in two swift moves. We plan to make the kit moveable with a help of at least two people. The bass drum is a modified virgin kick and the toms and cymbals will move on the rack as one unit. Last night was a true test on how tight the timeline is to get the warm-up act out of the way to make room for the headliners. It was a "blow and go" sound check for the first four bands and drummer for the opening acts were only allowed to use their snare, cymbals and pedals. No time given to modify anything on the kit between bands. Damage and I spent the entire day before this show piecing together a killer rack for his 5pc DW maple kit but it all stayed in the trailer due to the time limitation and the amount of gear Mushroomhead required to pull off their show. The band hierarchy was certainly in play as the "locals" had less that 20 minutes for their set.

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Dang, looks like that was a pretty awesome night. How did those Crush drums sound?
    It was certainly a fun night. The Crush drums sounded great! I was able to stand a few feet from the kit as the first band was doing a quick sound check and as you can tell by the pics, each tom was close mic'd but no overheads for the opening acts from what I could recall. The intense part of my evening was forgetting Damage's Alpha china's in the band's trailer prior to their time on stage for the opening number. I had to fight through a mob of people to get out to the street where the trailer was parked about one block from the club. I managed to hussle back into the club, passed sercurity and wade through about 500 people to reach the front of the stage. This club has no backstage entrance or side wings to stage drum kits off stage. Back lining each band was impossible and after each opening act, crew had to hand each piece of gear off of the front of the stage where the audience was already gathered. It was a logistical nightmare from a stagehand's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's a sweet gig! Sounds fun. Was it just one show or is this a tour?
    It was the kick off of "Head to Head Part II" tour with Mushroomhead and HED PE and it will continue on the west coast and make its way back east as the tour winds down.

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    How cool that the 2 of you got to hook up Rich. Is this going to be a regular thing?
    DrumChat has an amazing spirit and the membership is what makes this place so special. As you know from living here in the Sacramento Valley, Lodi isn't too far from Roseville (54 minute drive) where Damage lives so it was just a matter of time before we met in person. He mentioned needing a drum tech. in the shoutbox one day and after striking up a conversation, I convinced him that I could be the candidate. This gives me an unique opportunity to actually see and hear some of my gear used in a professional setting. I also have a chance to meet some national touring metal bands since Damage Over Time has now climbed up in popularity to a point where they are included as an opening act. This was something I couldn't pass up. Although Damage was a bit reluctant to use my cymbals due to fear of cracking or denting them, I convinced him that me being a novice drummer, my gear will never have the opportunity to share the same stage as the pros. In my opinion, from their bookings, Damage Over Time is a fast rising local metal band and to be a member of their support crew, specifically as the drum tech, has given me a realisic look at the business side of what it takes to become a professional musician. Last night's introduction to club and promoter politics and how it all fits together was an eye opener. I don't think I'll get another opportunity in my lifetime to experience the hard work and dedication it takes to try to make a break in this cut throat industry as a drummer and helping as a local drum tech is a challenge I look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Awesome! DD is very lucky to have you as his drum tech!
    Thanks nio! I feel very lucky to be asked to be part of the team!

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Thats awesome late 8 dude 2 of my favorite dcers teaming up
    That's right man! It won't be long until we see you here in our area for Mike Johnston's Drum Camp? I hope you'll be the second member I meet and hope this trend continues. I know there's a lot of DC'ers in Cali, especially Nor-Cal
    Last edited by late8; 04-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

That's really cool. Are teching any more shows on this tour?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    That is so cool!The only thing better would be for all of DC to get together for a jam!
    I'm all for that! Thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's really cool. Are teching any more shows on this tour?
    Nope. I'm teching for Damage and his band until i drop dead lol!!. The next show for Damage Over Time will be on May 7th at a local club called the "Fire Escape" Images of the Great White show by mere name of the club?? We are looking forward to using every piece of gear the band owns for this next one!
    Last edited by late8; 04-18-2011 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

You`re welcome.The larger this forum gets,the harder its going to be to read everything! I miss a couple of days and Im a day catching up!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

That's just awesome I love this forum. If anyone in the New England are needs a drum tech ill help out too! I'm glad we have such a tight knit group on this forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's just awesome I love this forum. If anyone in the New England are needs a drum tech ill help out too! I'm glad we have such a tight knit group on this forum.
    That's a generous offer Yoda! You'll make a great drum tech! The good ones seem to all play RUDES
    Last edited by late8; 04-18-2011 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Boom!

Larrysperf Guest

2 great guys I bet you are going to have some really great stories to tell

User Info Menu

Sounds like a cool gig late,you guy's coming through chicago land?
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu