Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

User Info Menu

Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

Thats an awesome write up! Congrats to DOT!!!!!

User Info Menu

Sheer hard work and effort from you guys. Proud of you Late8 and DD. Hey, weren't Death Angel that thrash band that have (or had) a few Filos (Pilipinos) in their lineup, DD? Or am I mistaken?

From the other DD.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Sheer hard work and effort from you guys. Proud of you Late8 and DD. Hey, weren't Death Angel that thrash band that have (or had) a few Filos (Pilipinos) in their lineup, DD? Or am I mistaken?

From the other DD.
    im not sure exactly bro, i know that their lineup right now consists of members from the original group that started in the san fransisco bay area, right when the metal era was taking off.

thanks for your complements.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread to share some pics from last night's show at The Ace of Spades in Sacramento. DOT opened again for SoulFly and here's how it was layed out for us. DOT was one of two local bands on this national tour with SoulFly. The two bands that played after DOT were made up of Max Cavalera's (SoulFly's founder and lead singer) sons. Both sons are on tour with their dad so they get the main support role for this tour.

DOT and the other local band had to fight it out with most ticket sales to see which band opens. The rule of thumb is the local band with the least tickets sales always opens and it wasn't any different last night as DOT out sold the other local band with 75 tickets @ $22.00 a piece which gave them total sales of $1,650.00. DOT's playing time was limited to 25 minutes. So goes the 'rat race' promoters love to play!. If you want to exposure, you pay to play. Unfair as it seems, that's just the way it goes so all of you up and coming metal bands better be prepared to face this scenrio. All of the supporting bands had to stage their drumkits and gear in front of the stage as SoulFly did their sound check

All of the drummers kept their kits on stands and the only drummer who had his kit on a rack was the opener.

The backstage area was crammed full of gear and their was no room to walk around the gear without tripping over something. If you have a big drum kit and your band is an opener, keep this picture in the back of your mind because the simplier you keep your kit, the easier it is to move on stage when there's only a 10 minute window for both set and tear down.

Last edited by late8; 02-19-2013 at 12:27 AM.

User Info Menu

One of the perks I get for working as a drum tech for DOT when they play with a natioanl touring band is getting a close up look at the drum kit for the headliner. Last night was no different, as I had a chance to study Igor Cavalera's Pearl Master double bass kit for the second time in two years. His kit didn't look any different from the last time I had a chance to study his set up when DOT opened for Cavalera Conspiracy, which Igor played drums again for his brother Max Cavalera. I like the fact that Igor still plays with the Pearl Eliminator P2000C bass drum pedals rather than switching to the Demon Drive pedal which one would think is the logical upgrade?

White masking tape outlines the bass drum pedals and the rack. Each horizontal leg is marked with a piece of tape with a numbering scheme.

Last edited by late8; 02-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

DOT pics:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"Thanks Jerry for taking me along for the ride!!"

Last edited by late8; 02-19-2013 at 01:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Awesome pics, late. Looks like a great time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Thats an awesome write up! Congrats to DOT!!!!!
    Thanks for stopping by Yoda!!

From the other DD.
    Thanks mate, and yes Michael you are correct sir:

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman_disaster View Post
    Awesome pics, late. Looks like a great time.
    Thanks GD! It was alot of hard work but it paid off...
    Last edited by late8; 02-19-2013 at 01:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Always enjoy reading your wrap up of the shows, Rich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Always enjoy reading your wrap up of the shows, Rich.
    Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Rich, I really appreciate you and DD sharing the realities of what it's like to gig in the current club environment. Or maybe I should say, what it's like to pay your dues in the current club environment. Our young drummers can really benefit from the info that you guys provide.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Rich, I really appreciate you and DD sharing the realities of what it's like to gig in the current club environment. Or maybe I should say, what it's like to pay your dues in the current club environment. Our young drummers can really benefit from the info that you guys provide.
    Thanks Bob! After nearly two years of my introduction to DD (aka Jerry) after "meeting" him on the DrumChat Shoutbox, I owe this place big time for hooking us up together so it's only fitting that we "pay it forward". That's what you and Tom have always prided yourselves for; to help the drumming community with some valid information. Thanks so much for recognizing the effort!!

User Info Menu

A rare pic of me making my rounds on stage before bailing out to take pics of the DOT show with SoulFly, February 17th at The Ace of Spades in Sacramento. As a habit I picked up as a TV floor director, I walk up to each member of the band and flash a thumbs up to see if things are good before the start of each show.

On this particular night, we worked with a different sound engineer for the stage monitor mix. I was asking the SE for guitar and samples be put into the side fill stage monitor so the guitar player could hear audio cues from the sample playback machine when this pic was taken. This is a very critical role that I play before the band starts to play. Also an opportunity to hand out bottles of water to the guys, especially to Jerry (aka DamageDrummer).

Throwing drunks off the stage:

Last edited by late8; 02-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyone would be lucky to have you tech-ing their gigs like this! Super jealous right here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman_disaster View Post
    Anyone would be lucky to have you tech-ing their gigs like this! Super jealous right here
    Thanks GD...very kind of you to say!

User Info Menu

Good stuff man. Great to see Jer and DOT getting some good gigs. Super cool guy who has given me some solid advice in the past. Well done.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Jeez! Look at Igor Cavalera's rack tom.....that's a bleedin' floor tom there if you ask me!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Jeez! Look at Igor Cavalera's rack tom.....that's a bleedin' floor tom there if you ask me!
    And that would be correct. Igor's Rack toms are an 18 in the center, and a 16 on the right side of the 18. A 10 inch to the left of the 18. In the past, he's used a 22 kick drum as a floor tom on the left hand side of his kit, but it looks like a conventional floor tom on the right hand side from Rich's pictures. Maybe another 18, maybe a 20. Rich, maybe you can shed some light on that? I do know he uses 20 inch kicks however.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    And that would be correct. Igor's Rack toms are an 18 in the center, and a 16 on the right side of the 18. A 10 inch to the left of the 18. In the past, he's used a 22 kick drum as a floor tom on the left hand side of his kit, but it looks like a conventional floor tom on the right hand side from Rich's pictures. Maybe another 18, maybe a 20. Rich, maybe you can shed some light on that? I do know he uses 20 inch kicks however.
    Igor's bird's eye view:

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up for an update. Spent the first of two weekend days in Ben Lomond California with Damage Over Time (DOT) as they set to record their second CD at The Compound Recording Studio. Ben Lomond is located on State Highway 9, about 12 miles from Santa Cruz, and 34 miles from San Jose. The population was 6,234 at the 2010 census. The studio is nestled in a deeply wooded area and the tall redwoods and lush greenery provided an nice vibe.