Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

User Info Menu

Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

continued.....

Last edited by late8; 08-19-2013 at 12:53 AM.

User Info Menu

continued.....

Drum Mics:

Overheads- (2x) Rode NT5 (Matched Pair)

Snare Top- AKG 452
    Snare Bottom- Sennheiser MD 441
    High Tom- Shure Beta 56

Bass Drum- Yamaha SubKick and Sennheiser MD 421

Last edited by late8; 08-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.

User Info Menu

continued......

Hihat and Ride- (2x) Audio Technica Pro 37R:

Low Toms- (2x) Sennheiser MD 421:

User Info Menu

continued.....

Recording

Pro Tools HD9 w/ (2) HD2 cards
    Macintosh G5 - 4 gigs of RAM and 2TB of Storage Space
    Dell PC featuring WaveLab (used for stereo Mix-Downs and Mastering)
    (2)UAD2 Card's by Universal Audio
    Digidesign Sound Replacer
    Drumagog
    Waves Ultra Pack Plugins

Hardware

Mixing Console- Soundcraft Ghost LE 24:

Micpres
    Universal Audio 4110 Class A Analog Preamp
    Universal Audio solo 610
    Universal Audio 2-610 Analog Tube Mic Preamp
    Universal Audio LA/610 Mic Preamp/Compressor
    Focusrite ISA428 4-channel Neve-Style Mic Preamp
    Amek Neve 9098 mic pre and EQ
    Mindprint DTC two channel mics pre/compressor

Dynamics
    Universal Audio 2-1176
    Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor
    Chandler Limited Germanium compressor (2)
    DBX 160a
    Presonus ACP88

Monitors
    JBL LSR4328P 8" Monitors
    Yamaha HS50M 5" Monitors

Interfaces/converters
    (2) Digidesign HD 192
    Universal Audio 2192

User Info Menu

Jerry (aka) DamageDrummer laying down a drum track with scratch guitar track recorded for reference only:

Last edited by late8; 08-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Love the pics Rich! Jerry shoulda spent a few buck on new heads before the studio!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Love the pics Rich! Jerry shoulda spent a few buck on new heads before the studio!
    Like most of us...the dude is barely getting by. I donated my time, gas, truck, one night's stay in a motel room and a new snare batter and reso just to get this done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Like most of us...the dude is barely getting by. I donated my time, gas, truck, one night's stay in a motel room and a new snare batter and reso just to get this done.
    You're a good man, Rich!

User Info Menu

You're a good man, Rich!
    +1.................good stuff Rich

User Info Menu

You're a good man, Rich!
    Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1.................good stuff Rich
    Thanks Butch. You being a car buff would know this scenario: Brake pedal goes to floor with no pressure or resistance behind it. Cause: Jerry's right rear wheel cylinder blew out on the day before the studio session due to the rear brake shoes being worn down to rivets and have extended all of the way out; brake fluid gushing out of the right rear brake drum.

To fulfill his obligation for this session, Jerry shows up at my house after slapping on a new wheel cylinder and some new rear brake shoes. His pedal still goes to the floor. Cause: air in brake lines; lines needs to be bled. At this point I jump in and we take my rig down to Santa Cruz. After we get back, I helped him adjust his brakes but we still needed to bleed them. Inconsistent brake pedal. The saga of struggling musicians reared its ugly head last weekend.
    Last edited by late8; 08-19-2013 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark!

Thanks Butch. You being a car buff would know this scenario: Brake pedal goes to floor with no pressure or resistance behind it. Cause: Jerry's right rear wheel cylinder blew out on the day before the studio session due to the rear brake shoes being worn down to rivets and have extended all of the way out; brake fluid gushing out of the right rear brake drum.

To fulfill his obligation for this session, Jerry shows up at my house after slapping on a new wheel cylinder and some new rear brake shoes. His pedal still goes to the floor. Cause: air in brake lines; lines needs to be bled. At this point I jump in and we take my rig down to Santa Cruz. After we get back, I helped him adjust his brakes but we still needed to bleed them. Inconsistent brake pedal. The saga of struggling musicians reared its ugly head last weekend.

Murphy's Law Rich....................If he ran it along time with the rear pad "gone"..............the master cylinder may need to be replaced also.

He's lucky to have a friend like you to help out

User Info Menu

Man, I know that feeling of when the wheel cylinder goes kaputz.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Murphy's Law Rich....................If he ran it along time with the rear pad "gone"..............the master cylinder may need to be replaced also.

He's lucky to have a friend like you to help out
    Thanks Butch! I appreciate the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Man, I know that feeling of when the wheel cylinder goes kaputz.
    I had major car repair bills in the last two month. Both of my aging vehicles had repair bills over 1k.

User Info Menu

pics are awesome as always Rich. I guess we all look like expectant fathers when listening to our tracks in the studio
    Last edited by slinky; 08-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    pics are awesome as always Rich. I guess we all look like expectant fathers when listening to our tracks in the studio
    Thanks slinky!! Man what you said was too funny...I had to go back and look at that pic again...Bawhahahaha!! You're absolutely right....

User Info Menu

I had major car repair bills in the last two month. Both of my aging vehicles had repair bills over 1k.
    Me too.....................bad couple of months for vehicles.........................clutch went out in my camaro, nearly 1400 bucks in parts and labor and the wife's car had issues that ran about 600...................2K that could have been better spent............ murphy is a b**tard

User Info Menu

Me too.....................bad couple of months for vehicles.........................clutch went out in my camaro, nearly 1400 bucks in parts and labor and the wife's car had issues that ran about 600...................2K that could have been better spent............ murphy is a b**tard
    Wow...1400 for the Camaro's clutch?? Man...what the heck happened?? Burning out at stop lights with the young'ens??

User Info Menu

Rich is the man, he got us down there. This was probably the worst possible weekend to have studio time. I lost all brakes in my truck one day before we were supposed to leave for Santa Cruz. All is good now, it was only a slight adjustment and now the brakes work Excellent. The rear drums can be tricky when there are sensors involved.
    Also at the last minute, I wasn't able to put brand new heads on the drums, it worked out because, the owner of the studio liked that The heads were already broken in, and were not going to need tuning after every song. I also heard for myself that when recorded digitally, the drums can sound however you want them to. Good tuning is a must, but I personally will not put on brand new heads before entering the studio ever again, i guess unless i am recording in analog. I'm calling the new head thing a myth after what I heard come out of that studio.

It was a fun road trip overall, I am a jerk and I like to make fun of everyone and everything including myself. Rich is a nicer guy so it evens out. I tried to hold back a bit so he didn't crash from laughing so hard. Neither one of us wanted to stay down there at all but we made the best of it, one beer at a time.

I hope all is well with everyone here at DC
    I know My visits are few and far between, I moved into the mountains and have limited access now. But I'm closer to the good fishing spots

User Info Menu

Wow...1400 for the Camaro's clutch?? Man...what the heck happened?? Burning out at stop lights with the young'ens??
    Yep...........I tore it up pretty well..................but I do drive it easy....really

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    Rich is the man, he got us down there. This was probably the worst possible weekend to have studio time. I lost all brakes in my truck one day before we were supposed to leave for Santa Cruz. All is good now, it was only a slight adjustment and now the brakes work Excellent. The rear drums can be tricky when there are sensors involved.
    Also at the last minute, I wasn't able to put brand new heads on the drums, it worked out because, the owner of the studio liked that The heads were already broken in, and were not going to need tuning after every song. I also heard for myself that when recorded digitally, the drums can sound however you want them to. Good tuning is a must, but I personally will not put on brand new heads before entering the studio ever again, i guess unless i am recording in analog. I'm calling the new head thing a myth after what I heard come out of that studio.

It was a fun road trip overall, I am a jerk and I like to make fun of everyone and everything including myself. Rich is a nicer guy so it evens out. I tried to hold back a bit so he didn't crash from laughing so hard. Neither one of us wanted to stay down there at all but we made the best of it, one beer at a time.

I hope all is well with everyone here at DC
    I know My visits are few and far between, I moved into the mountains and have limited access now. But I'm closer to the good fishing spots
    Great to hear from you DD...............................sounds like you and Rich make a great team. Yin and Yang.

Let's see some pics of the fish!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

Good to hear from you, DD...been missin' ya round the place, but I understand why.

Good to hear that all the drum issues (truck and otherwise) are settling down...wouldn't wish any of the brake issues on anyone, believe me!

Just traded my Hyundai because a left-rear wheel cylinder was leaking fluid all over the brake drum...would have cost more to fix than a monthly payment on a new car. You can guess which choice I made...

+1 on longgun's suggestion: Let's see some fish heads (and of course the rest of your catches, too!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

You lucky dogs! I miss Santa Cruz
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    You lucky dogs! I miss Santa Cruz
    That's funny you say that slinky. I was thinking about you and the guys in your band when I heard about the free Friday night summer concerts in front of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Foghat was there last Friday and Eddie Money is supposed to be there tonight. I know you guys are a bit harder than those bands but the party atmosphere prolly suit you guys well??

Santa Cruz Boardwalk free Friday night summer concerts series:

User Info Menu

That's funny you say that slinky. I was thinking about you and the guys in your band when I heard about the free Friday night summer concerts in front of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Foghat was there last Friday and Eddie Money is supposed to be there tonight. I know you guys are a bit harder than those bands but the party atmosphere prolly suit you guys well??

Santa Cruz Boardwalk free Friday night summer concerts series:

THAT atmosphere suits ANYONE!

User Info Menu

man that's nice! I went to one of those once I can't remember who I saw now lol but I don't think it was a cool show like Foghat or Eddie Money. That was fun man right on the sand and all. Think I rode the Giant Dipper about five times that day.

Last edited by slinky; 08-24-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

post #500 in this thread, and as of right now, over 15,000 hits, hopefully admin see's that. I have love for you guys you without a doubt run the best and most friendly drummers forum on the internet, and I will always defend drumchat over any other forum....straight up.

I owe this honest explanation to everyone in the drum world. I acknowledge and appreciate the support of ALL my fellow drummers on this site, and people around the world that I have personally interacted with. Shortly after recording, I opted to discontinue my dedication to performing as pro/semi-pro. I could never imagine laying down my sticks or never playing music again, but this year I am 30 years old, and by no choice of my own, adult life has taken over. It was a difficult decision, but I can no longer continue to dedicate the time needed to produce such an awesome project.

Some of you may wonder why I decided to walk away after 15 years of being in the same band, and after 20+ years of drumming. This is the rock/metal scene, use motley crue, def leopard, guns n roses as an example, when they got signed they had everything! merch, tour buses, gear, you name it!
    when you get signed in this day and age, the one and only thing it means, is someone owns you, and they get rights to the music that came from your brain. When all is said and done, you buy and sell your own merchandise, you pay for your own tour bus, and you make just enough to put fuel in the tank to get to the next show. Of course this depends on the label, but I know all this for a fact because I was opening for bands who have done this for years. Having a heart for playing music and not caring about anything else is the only way to do it. My entire life and everything I have ever worked for was going down the drain, because I cared about nothing, but the band. My adult life took over. I encourage anyone to follow their dream, no matter how big.

My dream was to move back into the Sierra-Nevada mountains, where my family heritage has been for over 70 years. Well, I did it, it started with a dream, and became a personal goal. I now am living happily and stress free, hopefully things in the music industry will improve, and I can have the life of playing music for a living, like I have dreamed about since I was a young child.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 02-02-2014 at 09:47 PM.