Thread: FAT snare sound

User Info Menu

Default FAT snare sound

Right now my only snare is a pretty cheap steel shell with good heads on it which help a little, it's 5.5" x 14". I've tried a lot of things to make it sound deeper and fatter but it's really hard. So I'm going to get a new WOOD snare sometime soon and I'm looking for some advice as to what the best woods and sizes are for getting a fatter sound. I'm trying for a sound like on "Back in Black" and in Weezer especially the Blue Album and Maladroit. I realize a certain amount of that sound is done with effects when recording but yeah... any advice greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

You could buy a snare dampener to go on the inside and then ask your music store about heads to give you the tone. I'm not sure, I don't own a dampener myself.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

get a drum with a wider diameter
    that or dampen the sound with aquarian studio rings like i do
    although then again i have a real poppy snare.

User Info Menu

The 2 only differences between my Fat snare and my Pop snare is that my Fat is a Sonor and my Pop is a Ludwig.
    They are the same diameter, but have different heights. My Fat is like 5.5" while my Pop is only like 2.5".
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

when i think FAT snare sound the first thing i think of is the 6.5x14 ludwig supraphonic....the most recorded snare in history, and what gave john bonham his FAT sound. pretty sure it was used on back in black.

User Info Menu

Wow, funky, you must have read my mind!

I played that same snare a couple of days ago and I have to say it is probably the best sounding snare I have ever heard. 14" x 8" deep. That thing has a great "crack" to it.

The guy would'nt sell it to me no matter how much I offered....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I just looked up the ludwig supraphonic on musiciansfriend and "fat" is right in the description for the 6.5" one. any wood snares that might sound similar?

User Info Menu

There is a company called Allegra (http://www.allegradrums.com/) not far from me that makes custom drums. One of my friends had them make him a 13" x 8" lacquered birch snare that is, by far, the fattest sounding snare I have ever heard. They are a little expensive, but a hand crafted, one of a kind snare is worth it.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc777
    I just looked up the ludwig supraphonic on musiciansfriend and "fat" is right in the description for the 6.5" one. any wood snares that might sound similar?
    it might look absolutly retarded but the pearl vinnie paul sig snare is pretty badass it is a 6 ply maple 14x8. it will def give you that big arena rock sound.
    if you dont mind waiting a little longer, pearl is going to start offering the same drum without the snakeskin wrap and spike lugs as part of the masters line. also the 14x8 tama 13 ply G-maple would get the job done too.

User Info Menu

Okay thanks guys. Yeah I'm not in a hurry to get one maybe I'll check out the new Pearls when the come out.