Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What drummer instantly inspired you?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What drummer instantly inspired you?

There were a few for me...

Jeff Porcaro from Toto. At the time, I was young and you couldn't go for long listening to the radio and not hear their song "Africa."

Steve Gadd - Yoda of drumming from my home town. The Paul Simon song "50 ways to Leave Your Lover" is forever engraved into my memory, since I was only 3-4 years old when it was getting constant airplay.

After that, it was a steady dose of Rush for my junior high thru early high school years. I don't know of any drummer from that time who WASN'T immediately influenced by Neil Peart.

Oh, and Phil Collins. Who in the early 80's didn't play air drums to "In the Air Tonight" regardless of whether or not they were a drummer??? Arguably one of the most popular drum fills EVER.

And then, Sheila E. I was mesmerized with her hotness as well as her percussion skills. She's what made timbales and latin percussion instruments cool to me. If not for her, I would likely have never been willing to venture outside of the drumset and WANT to learn other stuff.

Some of her drumset skills on display...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LAyskAyNU&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube - Sheila E. Drum Solo!!!![/ame]
    Last edited by bennice; 04-22-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: forgot one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    For me it was Leanard Haze of Yesterday & Today aka (Y&T).
    When I first heard this song from 1978 I was blown away that he played single bass and it sounded like a double. Also I wasn't used to hearing anyone using a china cymbal back then so that was a cool element then.
    If you've never heard this, you should!
    YouTube - Y&T - Dreams Of Egypt
    Saw Leonard and Y&T open for Motley Crue in the mid 80's. I had never heard of them before that night, but the next day I went out and picked up Open Fire!

User Info Menu

Looks very similar to an old thread, but always nice to revisit a topic like this one.

Old timer here, and Buddy Rich was my idol as a young drummer, but I quickly gravitated to people that I might actually be able to emulate, like Danny Seraphine of Chicago.

Today there are many, but I do have a particular fondness for Vinnie Coliauta.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Michael Shrieve. Seeing his Woodstock performance with Santana at just 19 blew me away. Simply amazing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1ASj7Yh4I"]YouTube - Michael Shrieve: The Woodstock Solo[/ame]
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Loved it! That song is from Santana's very first album. Yes, OK, I said it. Album...vinyl...grooved plastic disk...

I have it. It's a white album with the picture of a lions head in gray scale. But if you look closer there are a lot of other faces painting into the image. It's very cool and so are the songs.

But, I have 3 drummers to speak of. First one is my high school drum major that opened my eyes to many aspects of tasteful drumming. Rob Green, drum corp awesomeness. After that it would have to be Jeff Porcaro from TOTO.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Jimmy Chamberlin made practice a fun challenge and not a chore anymore. Matt Cameron also deserves credit.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee. The showmanship of his drumming more than anything inspired me to pick up a set of sticks. I started taking drumming more seriously when i saw guys like Neil Peart, Gavin Harrison, and Cobus.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Oh well this is easy, although I can not say one particular drummer inspired me.

1) Karen Carpenter. I was maybe 8 or 9 when I watched a movie based on her life. It was inspiring yet tragic because of what transpired in her later years before she died. I remembered feeling enthralled at watching her play the drums (haha the actress but you know what I mean). So wow - seeing a lady at the drums. I knew men played the drums but it was the first time I saw a lady do it. I was like - this is it - it speaks to me, I love it so this is what I want to be when I grow up. Sadly nobody thought much of it so I shut up and left it. Lo and behold I effectively showed everyone a "screw you" when I took up drumming. See, I can make a success of it. Drumming is not dead in this country. They like to tell us that we can't follow our dreams.
    But they are idiots lol. I know better

2) Neil Peart. Since getting into rock and metal I remember Rush being an integral part of my life. I recalled being absolutely stunned that such beautiful music could exist. Neil's drumming is so unique and it spoke volumes. Such masterful work.... I often wondered how much time he practices every day. Surely lots because his professional playing is rarely surpassed. I check his page now and again to see what he's up to but never get the opportunity to listen to any Rush I keep listening to Dio, you see.

3) Nicko McBrain. Since getting into metal at 15 I've been airdrumming to this wonder of a drummer. His energy is magnetic! Iron Maiden instantly became my favourite next to Pantera I infected my brother who was into punk at the time. I played him some Maiden and he was like "wtf??? jeez those old timers are making fun of themselves!" or some such. I was incensed but kept a cool head, knowing he'd soon realise different. True enough, in a few days he was only listening to Maiden. Pretty soon he stopped listening to punk altogether. I was proud Ok he still listens to some punk now and again, going to start a punk band soon (if he can find members fast enough) but his heart belongs to metal
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: What drummer instantly inspired you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Smith View Post
    Oh well this is easy, although I can not say one particular drummer inspired me.

1) Karen Carpenter. I was maybe 8 or 9 when I watched a movie based on her life. It was inspiring yet tragic because of what transpired in her later years before she died. I remembered feeling enthralled at watching her play the drums (haha the actress but you know what I mean). So wow - seeing a lady at the drums. I knew men played the drums but it was the first time I saw a lady do it. I was like - this is it - it speaks to me, I love it so this is what I want to be when I grow up. Sadly nobody thought much of it so I shut up and left it. Lo and behold I effectively showed everyone a "screw you" when I took up drumming. See, I can make a success of it. Drumming is not dead in this country. They like to tell us that we can't follow our dreams.
    But they are idiots lol. I know better

2) Neil Peart. Since getting into rock and metal I remember Rush being an integral part of my life. I recalled being absolutely stunned that such beautiful music could exist. Neil's drumming is so unique and it spoke volumes. Such masterful work.... I often wondered how much time he practices every day. Surely lots because his professional playing is rarely surpassed. I check his page now and again to see what he's up to but never get the opportunity to listen to any Rush I keep listening to Dio, you see.

3) Nicko McBrain. Since getting into metal at 15 I've been airdrumming to this wonder of a drummer. His energy is magnetic! Iron Maiden instantly became my favourite next to Pantera I infected my brother who was into punk at the time. I played him some Maiden and he was like "wtf??? jeez those old timers are making fun of themselves!" or some such. I was incensed but kept a cool head, knowing he'd soon realise different. True enough, in a few days he was only listening to Maiden. Pretty soon he stopped listening to punk altogether. I was proud Ok he still listens to some punk now and again, going to start a punk band soon (if he can find members fast enough) but his heart belongs to metal
    Yes follow your dream if drumming is what you want. Do not let anyone put you down or tell you that it is a man thing. There are alot of woman drummers all over the world. Yes Karen was a great lady and her death was a surprise to the world who love her and her music. Good luck and keep on drumming Mrs Smith

User Info Menu

I can't believe I'm actually going to admit to this in public, but my first inspiration was Lars Ulrich. I was a huge Metallica fan in the mid 80s, and Master of Puppets was just out (still the best metal album of all times). My best buddy was learning the guitar, and I had just quit playing the trumpet in band because my braces made it too painful. I figured, how hard can the drums actually be? I transcribed several of the tunes note-for-note and was hooked. After I started taking lessons, my teacher turned me onto Dave Weckl and it was like I woke up to a huge new world. I had to secretly listen to Chick Corea's Electric Band, because my metalhead friends would have crucified me if they new I got into fusion.

Along the way, there were a few others that immediately caught my attention - Walfredo Reyes Sr. got me into hand drumming and Giovanni Hidalgo put me on another path. Porcaro, Erskine, Colaiuta, Gadd, and most recently Benny Greb have all turned my head. Being into metal early, there was no way I was going to take Journey seriously, so Steve Smith escaped my attention until a few years ago. He is incredible.

Strangely enough, 3 heavy hitters escaped my attention early on - I heard recordings of Buddy Rich, but was too young to have seen him play, so I wrote it off as hype until I got a hold of a DVD. I immediately felt foolish. I felt the same way about Bonham until I forced myself to really listen just recently. I could never stomach Geddy Lee's voice, so I was never a Peart fan. It didn't help that I won a free instructional video of his in a raffle and honestly, it's terrible. He just does not communicate very well at all. Either that, or he was loaded when they recorded the video. The man has mad skills, but to me it always seems like he's playing something prearranged and it feels stiff.

User Info Menu

I'm not even going to lie, Travis Barker had got me playing drums even more, but before I had a drumkit, I'd always read about drums and I read in a book about Buddy Rich, thereafter I'd spend my time playing air drums to his impossible solos, then I found Neil Peart, and now I'm a huge Bonham Fan.

In short, Buddy Rich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I can't believe I'm actually going to admit to this in public, but my first inspiration was Lars Ulrich. I was a huge Metallica fan in the mid 80s, and Master of Puppets was just out (still the best metal album of all times). My best buddy was learning the guitar, and I had just quit playing the trumpet in band because my braces made it too painful. I figured, how hard can the drums actually be? I transcribed several of the tunes note-for-note and was hooked. After I started taking lessons, my teacher turned me onto Dave Weckl and it was like I woke up to a huge new world. I had to secretly listen to Chick Corea's Electric Band, because my metalhead friends would have crucified me if they new I got into fusion.

Along the way, there were a few others that immediately caught my attention - Walfredo Reyes Sr. got me into hand drumming and Giovanni Hidalgo put me on another path. Porcaro, Erskine, Colaiuta, Gadd, and most recently Benny Greb have all turned my head. Being into metal early, there was no way I was going to take Journey seriously, so Steve Smith escaped my attention until a few years ago. He is incredible.

Strangely enough, 3 heavy hitters escaped my attention early on - I heard recordings of Buddy Rich, but was too young to have seen him play, so I wrote it off as hype until I got a hold of a DVD. I immediately felt foolish. I felt the same way about Bonham until I forced myself to really listen just recently. I could never stomach Geddy Lee's voice, so I was never a Peart fan. It didn't help that I won a free instructional video of his in a raffle and honestly, it's terrible. He just does not communicate very well at all. Either that, or he was loaded when they recorded the video. The man has mad skills, but to me it always seems like he's playing something prearranged and it feels stiff.

Dude totally agree on the Peart.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I had quite a few when I first started drumming, the most influential were:
    Ringo Starr - The Beatles
    Don Brewer - Grand Funk Railroad
    Tommy Aldridge -Black Oak Arkansas
    John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
    Ian Paice - Deep Purple
    Bill Bruford / Alan White - Yes
    Neil Peart - Rush

These are the key players that I listened to in developing my style at an early age.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I had quite a few when I first started drumming, the most influential were:
    Ringo Starr - The Beatles
    Don Brewer - Grand Funk Railroad
    Tommy Aldridge -Black Oak Arkansas
    John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
    Ian Paice - Deep Purple
    Bill Bruford / Alan White - Yes
    Neil Peart - Rush

These are the key players that I listened to in developing my style at an early age.
    Some good choices there. All great players, every one.

Who "turned the light on" for me though, when it came to an African influence in drumming and taste, were Manu Katché with Peter Gabriel, Sting and Youssou N'dour; Vusi Khumalo and Isaac Mtshali on Paul Simon's Graceland album, and Bryce Wouassy with Malian singer Salif Keita. They're the guys that I'd sit and listen to, wondering whether I'm getting the kick or snare on the right offbeats, and then amaze me with all the slick hi-hat rolls counter-balancing all that. Definitely made 4/4 sound and feel different!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I saw Buddy live, shortly before he passed. What a tyrant. He would yell "86!", reffering to the chart number and before anyone had a chance to turn to the page, it was `123 go!!!!!`

And who can forget, "no beards in my band, you want a beard, get off my bus! You don`t think I can pull into the next town, go to the university and find a player to replace you?"
    He could afford to be a tyrant. He demanded excellence from his band, just like he demanded excellence for himself.

My inspiration, probably Tommy Lee and Travis Barker. I know, not the best drummers in the world. However, their power and the fact that they just own it makes the case for me.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Zigaboo, from The Meters. When I first heard them/him, I was so into bop, I held backbeats in high contempt. 2 and 4 was something to be played by my left foot...maybe. But Zigaboo brought my back to the light of the Backbeat and made me realize how important a solid groove was to any song/style.
    +1

Some say chambers is one the funkiest guys around but I still feel like zigaboo has some of the best feel out there

I remember first watching jojo on that modern drummer (late 90's) video growing up and we were BLOW away. thomas lang foot orchestration is still with me. tito puente of course. David gomez playing three bata drums is impressive. Illy b (billy martin) is so impressive on his in depth life long study of rhythm.

So many more...

oh yeah akiro, stewart copeland, staton moore, billy cobham, carter beuford, the drummer for santan on the woodstock video that did the solo, tony williams, steve smith, d. chambers....must stop now
    Last edited by eskrimaaddiction; 04-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

For me it was Budgie aka Peter Clarke of Siouxsie & The Banshees - amazing drummer who first turned me on to Poly-rhythms and unusual drum patterns. Later I discovered Jaki Liebezeit of CAN and I really got my head into Poly-rhythms! Chris Sharrock of Icicle Works was also a big influence, he is now drummer for Beady Eye.

Other favourite drummers were Martin Atkins of PIL and Killing Joke, Ian Paice goes without saying. There are others who are well known and really not worth mentioning as their names are already on the tip of everybody else's tongues.

Budgie was a very incentive drummer and his choice of patterns in a contemporary rock context were unlike others of his era ... this clip of Melt was always one of my faves.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAAGioWlsl4"]YouTube - Siouxsie and the Banshees - Melt[/ame]

TR.
    Last edited by Tikirocker; 04-29-2011 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimaaddiction View Post
    +1
    the drummer for santan on the woodstock video that did the solo...
    That my friend, is the superb drummer, Michael Shrieve. Still doing stuff out there as a drummer, percussionist, producer and composer.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-11-2012 at 06:24 AM.

User Info Menu

While Ringo Starr (the Beatles) was the first drummer to inspire me, I've also been inspired by Keith Moon (the Who) and Zak Starkey (the Who, Oasis).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tikirocker View Post
    For me it was Budgie aka Peter Clarke of Siouxsie & The Banshees - amazing drummer who first turned me on to Poly-rhythms and unusual drum patterns. Later I discovered Jaki Liebezeit of CAN and I really got my head into Poly-rhythms! Chris Sharrock of Icicle Works was also a big influence, he is now drummer for Beady Eye.

Other favourite drummers were Martin Atkins of PIL and Killing Joke, Ian Paice goes without saying. There are others who are well known and really not worth mentioning as their names are already on the tip of everybody else's tongues.

Budgie was a very incentive drummer and his choice of patterns in a contemporary rock context were unlike others of his era ... this clip of Melt was always one of my faves.

YouTube - Siouxsie and the Banshees - Melt

TR.
    Big thumbs up for mentioning Martin Atkins, Budgie and Jaki Liebezeit! ( Can't say I've heard much Icicle Works, though I've a couple of guitarist mates that know their stuff). Hey, I've put a thread up on here (might have to search for it...."Under-rated drummers of the new wave era")...love to have your input on that mate!

User Info Menu

The very first drummer to really inspire me even though I picked up sticks much later is The Police, Stewart Copeland. His mix of straight rock beat with reggae feel, his touch & energy, his hi-hat groove and distinguishable ride (bell) pattern make an obvious choice for me.

Then came Bonzo and next came Alex Van Halen and finally Lars Ulrich & Dave Lombardo.

In the next wave of drummers that inspired me instantly came Will Calhoun with Living Color and Matt Cameron with Soundgarden.

The drummers that now inspire me are Gavin Harrison, Stanton Moore, all Steve (Gadd, Smith, Jordan), Todd Sucherman and all those I forget. I even found inspiration in Mike Johnston.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Although I endured a long run as a bass player, Ginger Baker has to be the seed that was planted when I was a baby.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrX-aoFivc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrX-aoFivc[/ame]

User Info Menu

I would have to say that the biggest inspiration to me when I started playing would have to have been my father....who was a drummer. Watching him play was what first inspired me to begin playing...though much to his early dismay I often did the opposite of what he told me to do behind the kit. (imagine that!)

After I ad been playing for a while, I would have to say that the single most inspirational drummer for me during my early years had to have been John Bonham...I tried very hard to emulate his style. (and am still trying after 25 years)

There have been many other influences....but I'd have to say these are the primary two...
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Joey Jordison for me. Drummer of my favorite band, voted best drummer in the last 25 years, and is crazy good. Here's a video of his "warm-up".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JopQMbr1lYU"]YouTube - Joey Jordison drum solo[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had the pleasure of going to see Buddy Rich and his Orchestra back in the mid '80s. He was incrediable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgaD54YcXpA

I live about a 25 minute drive from where his clubs were. If we were playing local, I would be at the clubs 3-4 nights a week.

The greatest ever, everyone else is a distant 3rd.