Thread: Anyone know anything about LP Fuego series?

User Info Menu

Question Anyone know anything about LP Fuego series?

I've heard that LP Fuego is a discontinued line that is comparable to the Matador series. Can anyone confirm?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Anyone know anything about LP Fuego series?

I think Shabutie knows a lot or Bongo bro PM them if you dont get a answer

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Anyone know anything about LP Fuego series?

Hey, mate! Good to chat with another Australian drummer--especially another skin-slapper like me...

Traditionally, LP hand drums came in three basic levels: LP, CP (Cosmic Percussion), and Matador, going from most expensive to least expensive. About the time Kaman Music bought LP from Martin Cohen, they introduced several new lower-priced lines that pretty well eliminated the CP brand name. Their idea was to make the magic LP name more accessible to beginning, or "aspiring" hand drummers. The best-known of these new lines was (no surprise here!) LP Aspire. Some flashier-looking finishes were sold under the LP Fuego brand name.

To use a car analogy, it's like comparing the Australian Ford Falcon GT-HO with the everyday Falcon sedan; same basic product, a little more flash and, to some, a little higher performance.

Maybe not the best analogy, considering the GT-HO's perfornance record, but you get the idea!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Actually, Matador is the mid-range (second tier) LP line. It's workhorse stuff for $300ish USD per conga and full sized (11, 11.75, 12.5). The old CP and World Beat lines typically came in 10/11 sets that included stands. Even the lowest end LP stuff has always sounded surprisingly good, just a smaller sound per drum. I've lost track of the stuff released in the last 5 or 6 years.

User Info Menu

cheers for the info guys. @bongobro, I did get the ford analogy. . . . barely. .. . I'm a holden man myself.
    Last edited by JB007; 05-27-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayBrone007 View Post
    cheers for the info guys. @bongobro, I did get the ford analogy. . . . barely. .. . I'm a holden man myself.
    Well, you Aussies kept runnin' with the Falcon after we Yanks gave up on it in 1970! I know the Holden Commodore and Monaro from the late, great Pontiac G8 and GTO models of the recent past, but I must admit I couldn't find a comparable early Holden I could compare them to...

anyway, glad to help ya on the Fuegos, mate!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Fuegos? Wow, didn't know there was such a line....thought there were the CP line, World Beat, Aspire, Matador and the high end LP lines, and that was it. You learn something new every day I guess.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

So I bought a pair of second-hand Fuego bongos. They look a bit like matadors with easy play hoops. The skins will eventually need replacing, but in overall pretty good condition. The good thing about them is that they are full size 7-1/4" and 8-5/8 inch so well and truly a step up from the Aspire range. I think I got a bargain for $70 AUD considering matadors go for $260 in Australia.

User Info Menu

Sounds like ya got a good deal, mate...and thanks for puttin' up with my analogies...now go and rock dem Fuegos!

Charlie