Thread: Notes On The Hi-Hat?

User Info Menu

Default Notes On The Hi-Hat?

Question about notes/tempo on the hi-hat, I've noticed some songs have a "quarter note" feel on the hi-hat with the snare on the 2 & 4 and the bass on the 1 and 3. Is this typical? I was under the assumption that the notes played on the hi-hat were usually an 8th or 16th note feel?

User Info Menu

Yes that is like the most common beat, quarter notes and the hats, like typical primary rock beat
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I thought the typical rock beat was 8th notes on the hi-hat with 1 & 3 on the bass and 2 & 4 on the snare. However, what I have been noticing lately is that there are a lot of songs with quarter notes on the hi-hat with 1 & 3 on the bass and 2 & 4 on the snare.

User Info Menu

well i always thought the 4 on the high hat was typical

could be wrong of course tho
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Do you mean in each bar or across two bars?

|1234| |1-2-|3-4-|
    h |xxxx| |xxxx|xxxx|
    s |-x-x| |--x-|--x-|
    b |x-x-| |x---|x---|
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Do you mean in each bar or across two bars?

|1234| |1-2-|3-4-|
    h |xxxx| |xxxx|xxxx|
    s |-x-x| |--x-|--x-|
    b |x-x-| |x---|x---|
    I don't know I'm not totally sure I know what I'm talking about

User Info Menu

DC, the quater note beat on the high hat with 1 & 3 on the bass and 2 & 4 on the snare is a very basic rock beat, and yes, I hear it a lot too. It's certainly not the only rock beat though. just check the way it's being played by that little icon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    I don't know I'm not totally sure I know what I'm talking about
    LOL!

I'm not laughin' at ya, DC, that just seemed funny.

Your are somewhat right. It really depends on the song and the type of music. A lot of country has 1/4's on the hats where classic rock is a good mix of 1/4 and 1/8. You will also find that a lot of modern rock is 1/8, 1/16, and even 1/32. Oh, and I have heard a lot of disco (ow, my ears hurt) played with 1/16.

There is no rule that says you have to play a certain speed for certain music. Be creative and mix it up a little.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

sometimes what you are hearing as quarter notes is actually being played as eighth notes but the 1 2 3 4 are accented. dave weckl has a great example of that in "back to basics" instructional dvd. the 1 2 3 4 is hit with the shoulder of the stick on the side of the hats (accented) and the and's are played with the tip of the stick on the top side of the hat. the accents make it sound like quarter notes. that exercise is really good for coordination and similar to playing the ride eighth notes from bell with the shoulder of the stick to the ride with the tip of the stick just below the bell.

i like to play eighth notes for a nice anchor and i think that they also fill it up and give the song alot more body than just quarter notes on their own. quarter notes are probably ok for a couple of bars in a bridge of the song and taking away from the intensity to build up to a huge finish.
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-23-2007 at 03:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, this helps me understand much better. Grassyass

User Info Menu

what i meant by hitting the side of the hihats was not actually the side but more of an angle to get the rough accented note and then the clean note of the top of the hat while its closed.

User Info Menu

I think i know what you mean now, like this?

|1-2-|3-4-|
    |x-x-|x-x-|
    |--x-|--x-|
    |x---|x---|

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    I think i know what you mean now, like this?

|1-2-|3-4-|
    |x-x-|x-x-|
    |--x-|--x-|
    |x---|x---|
    Yes, that's what I mean, is that typical?.........

User Info Menu

On slower songs, yes. Otherwise no.

User Info Menu

I thought slower songs used the "half time feel", 8th notes on the hi-hat with the bass on 1 and the snare on 2?

User Info Menu

it all depends. you can play a slow song with 16ths on the hi-hat at say 55bpm. it all depends on what feel you want out of the song.

User Info Menu

You will find if you practice with your hand going as fast as you can possibly keep it stable and in time. When that becomes easy. Push it a little bit more.... And that will become easy

My teacher also taught me the wrist grip technique. Anyone use that. Its ment to be dead easy. But i do without it. OR im using it and dont realise :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum chick
    Yes, that's what I mean, is that typical?.........
    Actually I think that way is common for pop songs, like say, stuff comming from Pink and those types of singers and genres's. I mean, it really has more to do with the feel of the song than the tempo, plus livewire is right, sometimes it is 8ths but with accented quarters. So it sounds like that, until you listen closely. The thing with that though is if you go to play it as just straight quarters, it won't sound right.

It's a fairly loose rythm anyway, and can allow allot of playing around, so it can be goodin cenrtain circumstances

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    On slower songs, yes. Otherwise no.

Actually, that is not true my friend

Any beat can just about be used anywhere, taht beat, is like the swiss army knife of beats

Its can be the driving force of metal songs (such as 5 minutes alone by pantera)

Or it can be a slower song beat, cant think of one right now, dont listen to much slow stuff