Thread: Foot on the bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Foot on the bass drum

When hitting the the bass drum with your right foot, is it really really important to release the pedal after each hit? It is a lot easier to keep the leg down after the hit!

This probably belongs to lesson number one, but I probably missed it.

User Info Menu

i think the proper way is to keep the pedal on the bass drum until your next hit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    i think the proper way is to keep the pedal on the bass drum until your next hit.
    That's how I do it and we all know that I am the resident pro here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    When hitting the the bass drum with your right foot, is it really really important to release the pedal after each hit? It is a lot easier to keep the leg down after the hit!

This probably belongs to lesson number one, but I probably missed it.

According to what I've read, and learned from others, although it's easier to keep the pedal down, you should allow it to come back up after the stroke. This allows the batter head to resonate fully and prevents a dead thud sound. After I had read that in an article, I realized that I needed to adjust the spring on my pedal to allow for the action. The pedal automatically helps on the release now, and I became faster with the pedal as a secondary result, so all was good. Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

I keep the pedal down after a kick. Alot of old pros say it isnt good for the sound and especially for recording. My drum teacher said that he has never noticed a difference in his recordings or when he's playing live. I have tried both and i dont notice a difference so i keep it down.

User Info Menu

i go way faster when i keep the pedal down and sometimes it sounds sloppy when the pedal is allowed to come back up. also i think dave lombardo said something about this all i know is that he plays like that.

User Info Menu

lets put it this way, you wouldnt smack a snare drum then continue pushing your snare stick in the head now would you? If you mean taking your foot off as in like, completely dismounting the pedal, you should try and keep it close if anything, but try and keep your foot on, but let the beater come back

User Info Menu

i have never realised this and i just had a play for a few minutes to see what i do and i keep my foot down in between beats. i noticed that the mallet was at times about 5mm away from the bass after the last hit and sometimes i noticed the mallet was touching the bass drum but only really lightly.

during double kicks on any other beats, the beater usually comes back to a 35degree angle approx.

User Info Menu

lightly touching is ok at best, but you guys are making it sound like you stomp, then keep it there until your next hit, thats not a good thing

User Info Menu

With single bass that does good but when your using double you should keep one mallet off the drum at a time.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

it sorta sounds good if you've got a good tone on your bass.

User Info Menu

Well, even though there does not seem to be a general agreement on this, my conclussion is that it is not as important as for making a really hard effort to release (at least lightly) the pedal.

Thank you very much for your help (once again). I don't know what I would do without your help.

User Info Menu

Hey, Alaman, now that you've heard the differing opinions, enjoy figuring things out as you play.

BTW, how's the weather in Spain? Sure wish I could see your country sometime.

User Info Menu

I've been trying to lift my foot (not completely, just letting it touch the pedal) and it's pretty difficult fot me. But since I play on a digital set (sorry, but it's my only option) there is no sound difference. So I guess I will keep on playing like that.

As long as the wether in Spain, Pastor Bob, it has been raining like crazy for the last few days, but still warm. You would be more than welcome here in Spain, make sure to call me if you ever come. Some people have a whole lot of wrong stereotypes and ideas about Spain, and when you get to know it you just fall in love with it.

http://www.myspace.com/alvarogalaman

User Info Menu

It just takes the resonance out of the skin.... leaves just attack.... There is nothing good or bad about it. Its all about how you want it to sound... I find you need good foot control or a good pedal to play it open. I keep my heel up so i tend to leave it shut. We record heaps. Gives the same tone just more attack and barely much resonance because we dampen the bass kick as much as we can
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

if i were you alaman i would look up bass techniques specifically those of one certain god drummer: Dave Lombardo
    all hail the godfather of db
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

But remember though. There also techniques.... Mix up between different techniques and use what is comfortable and you think sounds like you want it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I play with the head mashed in, although i watched a video and Dave Weckle himself had said its bad to mash your heads, but i dont hear a resonation difference. But i did find, if your trying to do fast doubles on your beater, its easier if you keep your beat up at all times.

User Info Menu

playing with pedal down between is easy, but kills the sound
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Alaman]I've been trying to lift my foot (not completely, just letting it touch the pedal) and it's pretty difficult fot me. But since I play on a digital set (sorry, but it's my only option) there is no sound difference. So I guess I will keep on playing like that.

As long as the wether in Spain, Pastor Bob, it has been raining like crazy for the last few days, but still warm. You would be more than welcome here in Spain, make sure to call me if you ever come. Some people have a whole lot of wrong stereotypes and ideas about Spain, and when you get to know it you just fall in love with it.

You know, I never thought about asking what kind of kit you played. It jus might make a difference whether you're playing an acoustic, or an electronic set.

As for the weather in Spain sounds like not too differnt from Tennessee. Rainy and warm = humid. BTW, thanks for the invite if I ever get to go to Spain I'll definately let you know. Thanks.

grasslander Guest

I think we all need to find our own way and be comfortable. I'm a heavy hitter/kicker, and my foot generally rocks back and forth, sometimes coming completely off(I guess I'm "winding up"); often, I notice that I'm moving my foot just naturally keeping time, small movements in between kicks; during these times, just the ball of my foot is on the pedal - this is really common and is my foot position 99% of the time. I always say FEEL, DON'T THINK. Again, find your own way, be comfortable, and feel it out. I'm sure many disagree with me here, but that's my two cents.