Thread: Tom Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Tom Tuning

Hey guys, i am having serious problems with tom over tones and the toms sounding too "King Kong" , i dont like the big sound and long sustaing, In some vids i see toms and they sound like min bass drums, short and sweet thud sound, how can i get that with my toms?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Tuning

this is a very popular thread here, usually it has to do with the heads that you are using. a 2 ply head such as Evans EC2 and Remo pinstripe will give you an adequate punch, much like a bass drum. also various dampening techniques can be used to muffle the drum head from overtones. some dampeners are highly adjustable, and can be used on the resonant, batter, or both heads.

User Info Menu

These will do...

Theyre just plastic rings that you lay on top of the drumheads.

They will take away pretty much all of the ring and sustain.

Evans and Aquarian also make versions.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 04-24-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    These will do...

Theyre just plastic rings that you lay on top of the drumheads.

They will take away pretty much all of the ring and sustain.

Evans and Aquarian also make versions.
    yeah those are dampeners, they work great- easy to make out of old drumheads. another popular dampener is a little thing called a moongel. which they will also sell at your local drum store. this is probably more than likely your problem if already using nice heads.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 04-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

You can still get planty of sustain and overtones with Pinstripes. I use Pinstripes on top and Emperors bellow. I get more sustain on the big floor tomes than my up toms. Idealy, you would want alittle sustain and tone. If not they just sound dead. I try to adjust the batter head by checking the tone of the head next to each rim lug. They should be equal in tone. I they are not, then you will get an unbalanced sound. After adjusting each head, then I work on the sustain. I like my reso head slightly tighter than my batters. But thats my preferance. The tighter the reso head the more sustain, at least with my setup.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

gaffa tape on the res head

enough said :biggregrin:

the trick is to have tasteful amount of overtones and not kill the decay....experiment!
    Last edited by itchie; 04-24-2011 at 11:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with damagedrummer with the EC2's but over EC1 reso to me. This is the setup I have on all my toms and they are loud and deep with no overtones etc. Same with the snare EC frosted with reverse dot/Hazy 300. All these are great combinations but the cheapest way would be the O rings or moongel.

In this pic I have moongel till I got my EC resos then the moongel came off.

User Info Menu

also when you're tuning, try to tune each tom in fourths (think 'here comes the bride') you'd be amazed at how much of a difference it makes

User Info Menu

nice drum , how much did it cost? Pearl mcx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I agree with damagedrummer with the EC2's but over EC1 reso to me. This is the setup I have on all my toms and they are loud and deep with no overtones etc. Same with the snare EC frosted with reverse dot/Hazy 300. All these are great combinations but the cheapest way would be the O rings or moongel.

In this pic I have moongel till I got my EC resos then the moongel came off.

Hi , can i ask , Do u use 3 snares all at a time?

User Info Menu

No I do not play all my snares at the same time LOL. I use mostly my MCX maple 14x6.5 with my MCX kit. I will switch to my steel snares ( Pearl Sensitone Elite 14x5.5 and Vintage Slingerland 14 x5) for more hard rock snap and pop. Which drum are you talking about my MCX matching snare cost me 300 CDN ( 275 USD) my Slingerland 140 and my Sensitone 200. My MCX shells 12-13-16-18x22 cost 2300. I am very happy with this maple kit just sounds and looks great.