Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Weckle Clinic

User Info Menu

Default Dave Weckle Clinic

Got to go to a free, that's right, free clinic by Dave Weckle last night. It was great. Dave covered everything from equipment to tuning to grooving to meter and beyond. I'd say it was well worth the money, but since it was free that doesn't really work. It was definately worth the time. He's doing this as a kind of tour, so check it out to see if he's coming to your area.

http://www.daveweckl.com/touring.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Got to go to a free, that's right, free clinic by Dave Weckle last night. It was great. Dave covered everything from equipment to tuning to grooving to meter and beyond. I'd say it was well worth the money, but since it was free that doesn't really work. It was definately worth the time. He's doing this as a kind of tour, so check it out to see if he's coming to your area.

http://www.daveweckl.com/touring.htm
    Wow, lucky you!!!!! The fantasy camp (http://www.drumfantasycamp.com/) is going to be real close to me.... I wonder if that's the same type of thing?

User Info Menu

RD your lucky man. DC your just as lucky. Fly me out there so i can go with ya? hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Wow, lucky you!!!!! The fantasy camp (http://www.drumfantasycamp.com/) is going to be real close to me.... I wonder if that's the same type of thing?
    Under $500 to be taught by Steve Smith? That's a killer deal! I'm paying $500 to send Jam'n Jimmy to summer camp at University of the Pacific, so they aren't gouging you to learn from the pro's. I'd be all over that if it were in my area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    RD your lucky man. DC your just as lucky. Fly me out there so i can go with ya? hahaha
    me too, fly me too. hopefully he comes to Oz soon.

User Info Menu

Under $500 to be taught by Steve Smith? That's a killer deal! I'm paying $500 to send Jam'n Jimmy to summer camp at University of the Pacific, so they aren't gouging you to learn from the pro's. I'd be all over that if it were in my area.
    RD, I'm sooo envious! Any tips you could pass along on the chat?

BTW - I did my undergrad work at the University of the Pacific. Thanks for the reference. Brought back many good memories.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    RD, I'm sooo envious! Any tips you could pass along on the chat?

BTW - I did my undergrad work at the University of the Pacific. Thanks for the reference. Brought back many good memories.
    Really, UOP? Small world. My boy takes lessons from Prof. Brown there.

Ok, tips. He spent a lot of time on fundamentals. This is the second drum clinic by a pro musician and both of them were long on fundamentals. One piece of sage advice he gave was don't be a "rock drummer" or any other kind of drummer if you want to be a pro. He said most of the "rock drummers" from the eighties were washing cars now. He said if you want to be a pro, then you're not in the drumming business. You're in the music business. There are few jobs for drum acts, but there are lots of jobs for musicians who drum.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 05-23-2007 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

That is an excellent point! If you limit yourself to what you can play, your also limiting your opportunities.

RD, you are one lucky dog. Weckle is one of my absolute favorites and he is'nt coming anywhere near the northwest. I think I might have to move down south to Cali so I can get a chance to see musicians like him.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Really, UOP? Small world. My boy takes lessons from Prof. Brown there.

Ok, tips. He spent a lot of time on fundamentals. This is the second drum clinic by a pro musician and both of them were long on fundamentals. One piece of sage advice he gave was don't be a "rock drummer" or any other kind of drummer if you want to be a pro. He said most of the "rock drummers" from the eighties were washing cars now. He said if you want to be a pro, then you're not in the drumming business. You're in the music business. There are few jobs for drum acts, but there are lots of jobs for musicians who drum.
    Rats! I just knew he'd said something about practicing the fundamentals!

I sure like the sage advice. Makes perfect sense. Music scenes come and go,and those who can't adapt are left behind no matter what instrument you choose to play. Thanks for passing it along, RD!

User Info Menu

when we talk the "fundamentals of drumming" what exactly does that mean?
    I am assuming its referring to rudiments?? or is it referring to all styles of drumming?

i could look this up but why not just ask my drum chat buddies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    when we talk the "fundamentals of drumming" what exactly does that mean?
    I am assuming its referring to rudiments?? or is it referring to all styles of drumming?

i could look this up but why not just ask my drum chat buddies
    One thing he spent a lot of time with was how to hold a stick, how he holds his sticks. He showed how using the back of the hand, along with having the stick ballanced for proper rebound, made playing easyer.

Not the back of the hand, as in opposite your palm, back as in ring & pinkie fingers. In other words, don't choke the sticks with your thumb & index.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 05-24-2007 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for passing it along, RD. I've been thinking about how I hold the stick recently (self-taught so far), so I really appreciate the tip.

BTW, I'm starting some lessons with a guy from the church. Master's degree in drumming, and a retired teacher. I know he's not permanent, and he's not charging me, so I don't want to take advantage of him. He's starting me on limb independence exercises. Says it should help me very quickly.

Pretty cool, though, I was sitting on the couch last night, listening to some music and just air drumming. All of a sudden, I had all four limbs working independently. Cool break through moment for me!

User Info Menu

Thanks RD, i used to have a real bad habit in having my pinkie finger and ring finger not on the stick while playing. my teacher always used to pull me up on it and made me really conscious of it so i am always aware now. as soon as i realise that pinkie is going stray, i pull it straight back in lol.

pastor bob, that feeling your talking about is a great feeling, like a feeling of freedom so to speak.

User Info Menu

hey pb, just thought i'd TRY to return the favour.......

go check this out:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/be...RODUCTION.html

some of its pretty basic, but it gets pretty good. i'm still on intro..........

i found it useful for the........ fundamentals! gripping, like you said, and getting the rebound stroke done properly. i'm buying the book too, hoping the book gives more insight into the whole thing, as the video lesson series refers to the book a lot. go have a look, will definitely supplement your lessons!!

there's also a section in the education section where they have the 40 rudiments, with a video of all of them as well. thats awesome. that kinda demoralised me when i saw the dude doing some of those rudiments at those kinda speeds........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    BTW, I'm starting some lessons with a guy from the church. Master's degree in drumming, and a retired teacher.
    Can you give me some insight on this teacher? What schools did he go to? How were the music programs there? Are those programs still at the level they were when he was there? What colleges does he recommend to aspiring music majors? Was the extra time (and money) it took to get a post-graduate degree worth it?

User Info Menu

Can you give me some insight on this teacher? What schools did he go to? How were the music programs there? Are those programs still at the level they were when he was there? What colleges does he recommend to aspiring music majors? Was the extra time (and money) it took to get a post-graduate degree worth it?
    RD, when I get together with him, I'll make sure and ask for you. I am assuming that this is about your son, unless you're thinking about going back to school.

I'm sure he went to Middle Tennessee State University here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Don't know a whole lot about the program, but I can say that their marching band wins numerous awards, and they sound awesome during halftime shows.

User Info Menu

Lol. No, I'm not going back to school. It's for my son. Ask him if they have a Jazz Studdies program.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I'm on it, RD. Least I can do for the man that passes along Dave Weckle wisdom (say Dave Weckle wisdom three times real fast ).

User Info Menu

What exactly do you learn from these professionals that give drum lessons? Because I understand learning technique may help and you can learn things. But they can only teach you how to be like them. I wanna be myself with my own technique that helps with my sound :s Maybe i have different goals to everyone else?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    What exactly do you learn from these professionals that give drum lessons? Because I understand learning technique may help and you can learn things. But they can only teach you how to be like them. I wanna be myself with my own technique that helps with my sound :s Maybe i have different goals to everyone else?
    Hhmm...well I'd say I learn the same kind of things that I would learn from any competent teacher, but they can often demonstrate it at a much higher level than your avarage teacher. Also, professional musicians, unlike 99.9% of the rest of us, have made it in the music business. They know what it takes to be successful and can pass that knowledge to their students. They also have contacts in the industry and if you are blessed to be some kind of prodigy, they can hook you up with all kinds of people who can be helpful in pursuit of a music career.

Am I sensing sour grapes here?

User Info Menu

Nope that makes sence :> Its just not what im interested in :>

There are many many many successful bands so far underground people aint heard of them before. Some dotn even play live. Thats what i want :> I love my quiet little country town. Its beautiful out here to just write and record :> But i get your point. I shall goto one one day if there is a local one. And get some of these tips :>

If anyone wants some tips for the industry in australia, I strongly sujest cert III in music industry. I know the western australian music manager nigele bird if he is still there .Really helpful guy and will help any starting band off the ground :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Nope that makes sence :> Its just not what im interested in :>

There are many many many successful bands so far underground people aint heard of them before. Some dotn even play live. Thats what i want :> I love my quiet little country town. Its beautiful out here to just write and record :> But i get your point. I shall goto one one day if there is a local one. And get some of these tips :>

If anyone wants some tips for the industry in australia, I strongly sujest cert III in music industry. I know the western australian music manager nigele bird if he is still there .Really helpful guy and will help any starting band off the ground :>
    BTW, Stevo, if you know Nigele Bird, and he has helped you understand the music scene in Australia, then he is a teacher, because you learned something. Teacher can come in many forms, and some of them are the least likely characters. Think about all the teachers that are in here at DrumChat. They won't call themselves "teachers," but I have learned a lot from my new friends already, including you.

User Info Menu

Hm didnt think about that ey.... For that kinda teaching though. We call them contacts... More help than teach i guess.Tells you where to go not how to do it
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Oh man Sue if you can go.............DO IT, seriously all the greats are going to be there from all different genres, there will be clinics, master classes the whole works, I would give just about anything to go to that, I strongly suggest you go Sue, you would love it.

User Info Menu

I would love to see Dave Weckl and Steve smith they are two of my all time favorite drummers, what a treat for you RD.