Thread: Bongos. problem with Meinl, looking for another pair of bongos - suggestions

User Info Menu

Default Bongos. problem with Meinl, looking for another pair of bongos - suggestions

Dear All,

I have a new pair of Meinl FWBs 400. I noticed that I couldn't get the hembra tuned well, it always had a slight distortion in the pitch. I took a look at the bottom of the drum and the drum doesn't fit snugly in the bottom holding rim. There is a gap of about 3-4mm on one side. I will return the drums tomorrow. With this in mind I am looking for another good set of bongos. Any suggestions? I notice that LP use aluminium instead of steel for their hardware. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this?

Thanks for your help!!!

Tony

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongos. problem with Meinl, looking for another pair of bongos - suggestions

Depending on your wallet. If it is thin then you can buy a Matador Custom which have steel hardware for a little over a hundred. If it is fat then you can buy a Moperc. You can also achieve good sound by installing the correct skin thickness. At least 1/8" for the Hembra and 1/16" for the Macho. L&H percussion should be able to provide you with good skins.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bongos. problem with Meinl, looking for another pair of bongos - suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by antsjack View Post
    Dear All,

I have a new pair of Meinl FWBs 400. I noticed that I couldn't get the hembra tuned well, it always had a slight distortion in the pitch. I took a look at the bottom of the drum and the drum doesn't fit snugly in the bottom holding rim. There is a gap of about 3-4mm on one side. I will return the drums tomorrow. With this in mind I am looking for another good set of bongos. Any suggestions? I notice that LP use aluminium instead of steel for their hardware. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this?

Thanks for your help!!!

Tony
    To correct loose fitted bottom rings, I suggest metal bands ( like what is used to secure items to pallet for shipping or used to attach plumbing to hoses etc. Use it as a shim to be snug & this will also help keep the shells from cracking. Bad over tones are usual due to thin heads or improper mounting of the wet flat skins to the skin wire. ( I am careful to stretch the wet skins evenly / tuning them as I fit the skin to skin wire so as it drys, it will more likely be evenly tensioned w/o dead spots. Mass produced heads do not receive such careful consideration. I also never cared for Asian Bison heads on bongos...and seldom on congas. All Asian made bongos are more similar than they are different. I look for good fitting hard wares, great sounding natural heads & sizes that offer the use of plastic heads so you have options. For example ~I prefer matador to Lp pro level models since there is no chrome to peel of the aluminum bottom rings & they have a correct sound edge for bongo heads...not the sharper snare drum style edge that kills your hands & causes premature expiration / tearing of skins. I do like Meinl brand products over LP in lost cases. Lp is over hyped, tend to be designed for looks rather than tone & other practical concerns.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.