Thread: drum mics

User Info Menu

Default drum mics

I saw something here about this but cant find it now after 2 days of searching so here goes.

I'm doing a home studio on a budget. Over the last year or so I've scooped up a piece here and there along the way. I'm almost ready, and am down to the mics.

Nucjd has been so generous with his room acoustics info so I know where and what i need to do for that.

I already have a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer, with 4 xlr inputs and 4 xlr/xlr cables. I plan to do an x-y overhead pattern, snare and kick.

I have a pair of CAD CM217 condenser mics to be used for my x-y overheads. Got these for $60 for the pair. I know a lot of people look down on CAD, but they were affordable.
    I have a Nady SP-5 Dynamic Cardioid Neodymium Mic for my snare. I actually have a few of those lying around. It was a flea-bay score. buy one get 3 free, from a clearance house.

I am down to my bass drum mic, and I don't know what to get. I know that the Shure Beta 52 and the AKG D112 are super popular but they are expensive at about $200 each.

What is it that makes a bass drum mic special from a regular dynamic mic?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum mics

I think what makes a kick drum mic different from other mics is the ability to take high sound pressure levels, and a frequency response that's aimed at the lower end. there's an awful large amount of energy in a kick drum, and that can make the diaphragm practically flap. I use a Heil PR 48 kick drum mic, but its price point is still around the same as the other mics you mentioned. I have used Sm 57's/ 58's on a kick drum before without bad results, so I would try your Nady and see what happens..
    By the numbers- Nady Sp5 will handle a maximum SPL of 130 db, frequency response is 50-12,000 Hz
    Heil PR 48- SPL of 148 db, frequency response is 30- 8500 Hz
    Hope this helps, and i hope its right!

User Info Menu

both the the shure B52 and the AKG D112 are both very clean, punchy and require minimal compression/equalising

i would even consider looking at the audix D6 and the sennheiser e 602-II both kick arse mics

User Info Menu

The Audix D6 is a kick drum mic and the it is EQ'd internally and has the ideal frequency range to pick up the attack on the batter head as the bass drum beater hits the head. Invest wisely in your kick drum mic and as you already know, the bass drum is the heartbeat of any groove.