Thread: drum wrap

User Info Menu

Default drum wrap

hi
    i'm recovering my kit just a few questions, is there a tool to cut out for the hardware or just be carefull with the stanley knife? and how do you ghet the air vents out, mine is not a pull apart or screw one, is that just a pliers job and a carefull hand?
    thanks Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum wrap

Not that I am a pro at recovering but if I understand your question I will say this. You don't cut the covering around the hardware. The hardware mounts to the shell through the covering. I would suggest a Unibit for drilling the mounting holes through the wrap when you are done. As for the vents, I would just buy new ones. I use the screw type and I love them. If you search YouTube for videos on wrapping drums you will find some good ones. I think Drum Foundry has a really good one.

Good luck to you.

User Info Menu

If you use the ez-wrap stuff you see on ebay you can push a phillips head screw drive thru the lug holes and trim the tom mount on the bass drum with a sharp razor or any other larger holes. If you use the hard plastic wrap you'll have to use a drill and holesaw. As far as the vents go gently fold over the flare from the inside and don't damage your badges !!! You can get replacement vents on line and yes the screw on ones are much easier.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress...don't forget pics.

User Info Menu

I second the suggestion of getting a screw type vent. They aren't very expensive, just a couple of bucks per vent, and they are easy to use. I've done a couple of snare drum projects where I used them - one where I put 4 vents in the snare (not sure what I was thinking when I did that, but it turned out well and looks cool) and one where I refinished an old Ludwig Acrolite shell. I've never had issues with the vents coming loose in the maple snare, but the vent would loosen here and there on the Ludwig, so I just employed a bit of superglue as a thread locking agent, and it hasn't come loose since.

Now getting a crimped vent off of the drum - that's another matter. I ended up using a cone shaped grinder bit to grind off enough of the crimped flange so that it would come out of the hole, but I'd have probably had better luck with a uni-bit - I only used the grinder because it was what I had on hand at the time.

User Info Menu

I use a dremmel tool that has a round head file attachment. Works great.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

Larrysperf Guest

Jamisons .com great stuff there and videos on drum wraps