Thread: Custom MIDI drum tracks online - any business?

User Info Menu

Default Custom MIDI drum tracks online - any business?

That's right.

I've been drumming for twenty years or so. Now in a funk/fusion/jazz/metal outfit...among others. Now 32 years old, based in Sweden. Have thought about putting up an online service for recording/providing custom drum tracks for other productions - for anyone willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Now - 99% of these sites offer acoustic recordings - for good reasons.
    The customer wants to know it's "real" drums, and buying studio time expertise, mics and so on would be expensive. But how about offering custom made midi tracks? I know some already do that, but is there any money in it?

The general consensus seems to be that people think that "why should I pay this guy money for providing me with a bunch of MIDI-files?
    when I just can get Superior Drummer, BFD or any other great drum software on the market and import MIDI-files myself - or lay down the tracks via a controller.

That would be fine - IF you are a drummer. The stuff NEEDS to be played, unless you are willing to count the days and weeks go by still trying to understandif you should try to put a ghost note at 13.06.923 with a Midivelocity of 27 to make that programmed track groove properly.
    Forget about the bundled MIDI-files - they never groove, and you don't want to spend your life programming drums that sounds ****.

SO - bottom line - would there be a market for such services (I know there are for acoustics) - or is it still too early to win people over?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Custom MIDI drum tracks online - any business?

Greetings JohnRick,

As far as I know there's this guy in Panama who does these things. However - I'm not sure about the number of clients this service has attracted and/or if it's growing.