Thread: Cajon

User Info Menu

Default Cajon

anybody play cajon's? I am in the market to get one soon. We jam a lot of acoustic sessions unplugged outside workin on our songs acoustically and stuff and researching around found a cajon might work well. If any one has any experience and input would be great. I am looking for one with deep base tone, the one I am looking at Toca Bordeaux Cajon drum. I only use meinl cymbals and wanted to stick with them as far as cajons but looking around this toca seems to fit my style well. It is 189$ then a case is 80$ as well, it has a nice finish on it too...Thx

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon

You don't need experience. If you can bang on a box, you can play a Cajon. I would prefer that the drummer just use the rhythms he would learn to play drumset to play the cajon. Be creative. Make up your own stuff. Be original. Practice rudiments. Be a tasteful drummer. Be musical. Leave no stone unturned. - Good luck!

DRUMMER T-SHIRTS

User Info Menu

cool, thx for the input... I have used djembe's but never cajon's. watching some videos got me motivated to lay down some beats with them, I guess you can produce pretty deep bass tone out of some of em. Should work well with me since I hit stuff all the time make beats on anything, household products etc..lol should be fun...

User Info Menu

Derbis, like you I am fascinated with this drum, all I can add is there are cajons with a snare wire too! this may be helpful dependant on type of music you will be playing..check it out.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I built my own Cajon. I can honestly say that it sounds at least as good as any other I have played at a music story.. actually I think it sounds better. I used 1/2" and 1/8" baltic birch ply from a Johnson's Workbench and found plans on the 'net. Nothing too magic about the size but mine is 19"tall, by 11.75 square. I have a snare on the inside. Cost me a fraction if a store-bought one.
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cajon

Relax, Derbis! If you can play any kind of drum, you can play the cajon. In fact, as drummer said earlier, it's a matter of transferring your beats from one drum to another. (The fact you're already playin' a djembe helps.)

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have seen some killer videos of great sounding cajons and convinced myself I really wanted to get one. After heading into a mega-store that carried some top of the line stuff and hearing them in person, I was always underwhelmed by the sound. It's entirely possible that I didn't find any good drums, but I've tried 3 times to like them in person. If anyone finds a good sound, please make an unprocessed home recording to share with us.

User Info Menu

Hi!
    This's my new home-made "Free-style" Cajon! It's 16" x 6".I attached a snare-wire on the "top head" on the cajon,which I find it 90% sound close to a tight snare sound.The bass tone is tight/round(when play with DIY soft mallet).I had been pratice this cajon for the past few weeks.And it cause my finger's jonit pain/un comfortable.So I decided to use stick(with a soft rubber attched)for the snare,and the soft mallet stick for the bass. I also add a DIY Pedal Low-Hat & Tambourine.
    Regards,
    Wonder1

User Info Menu

How did you make it.. what materials?
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    How did you make it.. what materials?
    Hi! I'm using recycle item(1)30 yrs old (cut) 16 " floor-tom shell.Remove the old wrap and replace it with this wood design covering.Nail & glue 2 pcs of very thin ply as "drum head".Same as the Pedal(collect those left over plywood from my friend's workshop)

User Info Menu

It would be great if you could post some pics that were more clear. Thanks for your information and sharing your unique design.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

It would be great if you could post some pics that were more clear. Thanks for your information and sharing your unique design.
    Yes!! I will take another pic with my camera!!!

User Info Menu

I currently use a standard LP Cajon. However, if I had to go back and do it again I would definitely purchase 1 of the following 3: 1) LP Mario Cortez Cajon; ;2) LP Mario Cortez Soul Cajon; or 3) LP Kevin Ricard cajon.

The Ricard and the Soul cajon have such crisp snare sounds and deep bass sounds it makes my cajon, which is a decent drum, sound inferior.

There are some really good drums out there. I'd say play on a few first to see the difference first hand

User Info Menu

I don't disagree that there are cajons that sound better than the LP. My home built cajon sounds better in my opinion. Matter of fact.. just got back from a small venue gig and used it there.
    Remo 14" djembe
    Cajon
    TreeWorks chimes

User Info Menu

I don't disagree that there are cajons that sound better than the LP. My home built cajon sounds better in my opinion. Matter of fact.. just got back from a small venue gig and used it there.
    I agree 100%. All you need is a speaker from a resale shop and some 1/8" - 3/16" paneling or better yet "Baltic Birch".

Remove the speakers and fabric. On the speaker hole side, install replacement panel for Cajon playing surface. Cut a 2" - 4" hole on the opposite side of the playing surface.

Presto! You made a Cajon for less than $50 and will equal or surpass most new Cajons.

I built my first Cajon the hard way over 14 years ago. I framed it and all. I will share pics soon. I wish I did it the easy way like the recycled speaker method. (Live and learn. I have so much to learn.)

Peace and Drum.

User Info Menu

Fat congas make some of the best Cajons in the USA.

2c

User Info Menu

I have a Meinl cajon and have been gigging with it for about 4 months now. For one project I'm in I bring my congas, bongos and complete percussion setup. I place the Cajon in front of the Congas and I come out from behind the big setup and do a few songs on just cajon. We are an acoustic duo playing acoustic covers of mostly classic rock with some modern thown in.

My other project is playing just cajon or brushes on a snare with a blues rag band. We are covering ragtime and blues tunes.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Cajons are now popular & anybody w/ cabinet making skill could make them or manufacture them but SOUND is the difference. I prefer Cajons made in PERU by cajoneros not factory workers. ATEMPO cajons are also marketed by Gon Bops. The Alex Acuna model is larger than traditional sizes but finding a case for them is a big problem. I prefer the Atempo brand & the P.R. brand ( Percussion Real * / Pedro Rodriguez cajons. The Afro models are very drum like w/o snare wire and traditionally do not have loosened corners for the snappy corner effect. The Flamenco models have snare like cords ( not wires ) placed so they only buzz when playing the top corners so the rest of the sound is w/o snare buzzing so you have distinct drum tone range w/o snare until you play the snare area. The CRIOLLA models, most common to Peruvian Vals rhythms & most commonly used by traditional Peruvian Cajoneros, is a standard size cajon w/ the corners loosend to allow a dry slap / not a snare buzz, when playing the top corners. many Cajons made by drum & perc. companies are adding gizmos like snare throw offs & tambourine jingles etc but they usualy have a lame drum tone & built from woods that are not of good quality. Fat Congas brand...make great Cajons for Peruvian / Flamenco & Cuban music styles. Made from laminated ply woods similar to high grade cabinets & furnishings. Cajons made in Asia use the same low grade woods as cheap congas & bongos & other cheap domestic goods like salad bowls etc. The playing surfaces warp & crack & dent easily & I seldom like the tone of these...although I have not played all these many models yet. Cajons come in many quality grades...for price point considerations for pro level & entry level. But its logical to conclude if you are a percussionist...you want an authentic & great sounding instrument so look at models refined for professional use !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wonder1 View Post

Hi!
    This's my new home-made "Free-style" Cajon! It's 16" x 6".I attached a snare-wire on the "top head" on the cajon,which I find it 90% sound close to a tight snare sound.The bass tone is tight/round(when play with DIY soft mallet).I had been pratice this cajon for the past few weeks.And it cause my finger's jonit pain/un comfortable.So I decided to use stick(with a soft rubber attched)for the snare,and the soft mallet stick for the bass. I also add a DIY Pedal Low-Hat & Tambourine.
    Regards,
    Wonder1
    Very cool ! If you are not a hand percussionist...you may experience owies on your fingers ( hand perc is like a martial art, little grass hopper ) In Spain, they use fiberglass laminate as a playing surface on some models. If you are using sticks, you may want a more durable surface ? I made a similar cajon like yours but I used a 14" x 7" concert tom & kept the tone muffler installed. virtually any existing drum shell can be made to cajon...but i prefer a thicker shell & carefully crafted sound edge since I like adjustable screws rather than glued on playing surface so I can control the sound & remove / replace the playing surface. Good Luck ! Maybe you can add a Rogers logo to your cajon ? lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    Very cool ! If you are not a hand percussionist...you may experience owies on your fingers ( hand perc is like a martial art, little grass hopper ) In Spain, they use fiberglass laminate as a playing surface on some models. If you are using sticks, you may want a more durable surface ? I made a similar cajon like yours but I used a 14" x 7" concert tom & kept the tone muffler installed. virtually any existing drum shell can be made to cajon...but i prefer a thicker shell & carefully crafted sound edge since I like adjustable screws rather than glued on playing surface so I can control the sound & remove / replace the playing surface. Good Luck ! Maybe you can add a Rogers logo to your cajon ? lol
    Hi!Ernesto Pediangco!
    Thanks!Normally I use my hand to play this cajon!! but for this band's pratice,I try to use Brushes,Stick with a very soft rubber tip(home-made),soft mallet for the "kick" drum! This 16" cajon just part of my "Cajon" colletion.I do build other "Cajon" too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derbis View Post
    anybody play cajon's? I am in the market to get one soon. We jam a lot of acoustic sessions unplugged outside workin on our songs acoustically and stuff and researching around found a cajon might work well. If any one has any experience and input would be great. I am looking for one with deep base tone, the one I am looking at Toca Bordeaux Cajon drum. I only use meinl cymbals and wanted to stick with them as far as cajons but looking around this toca seems to fit my style well. It is 189$ then a case is 80$ as well, it has a nice finish on it too...Thx

I dislike the materials & design of many / most Asian made Cajons, compared to traditional Peruvian or Spanish made Cajons. Gon Bops models are made by " Atempo " in Peru & Fat Congas makes great Cajons in several types. P.R. / Percusion Real of Peru is also GREAT. It often seems the exotic finishes sell the cajons before the sound & function is considered ! ? Cajons are a Latin music perc. Inst & I would prefer to buy from that source before considering Asian made copies... but thats just me.

User Info Menu

I have been fascinated by these for quite some time. Finally decided it was time to get one. I went with a "Meinl Headliner Cajon, Mahogany" and it arrived yesterday. Now to learn to play it!!! My approach so far is (as was mentioned earlier) to use patterns that I use on my kit and my djembe. I found a few good videos on youtube that show how to get the different sounds....and how to use my foot. In any case I really look forward to playing around with it.