Thread: I feel just stuck.

User Info Menu

Default I feel just stuck.

I don't want to sound like a wiener, but man I just feel like my playing is going backwards, I feel like my creative juices have come to a screetchin holt, I am feeling very discouraged, and almost feel like throwing in the towel, I would never quit drumming, but man does anyone else ever feel this way? or am I just a complainer and need to just suck it up and keep going? IF so what have you done to respark the fire and get the creativity going again? I try and watch videos of my favorite drummer and then go play and that just makes it worse, HELP

User Info Menu

sounds like you need some new influences and inspirations. go get yourself some thomas lang videos. that will def give ya some inspiration and some things to work on.

User Info Menu

Yep, I've felt that way. Dude, you're doing this for fun, right? Make it fun. Take a week off from fundamentals. Don't do anything "work related" with music for a whole week. Every time you sit at your kit (hey, that rymes!) just focus on expressing yourself. Are you sad? Play sad. Are you bored? Play a groove that expresses that. Are you sleepy? Play a lullaby. Angry? Play an...you get the picture. Be an artist. Create. Give yourself the latitude to suck, for a whole week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    sounds like you need some new influences and inspirations. go get yourself some thomas lang videos. that will def give ya some inspiration and some things to work on.
    I have them both funky, he is incredible, but way to overwhelming for me, I can't even come close to his level, but thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Yep, I've felt that way. Dude, you're doing this for fun, right? Make it fun. Take a week off from fundamentals. Don't do anything "work related" with music for a whole week. Every time you sit at your kit (hey, that rymes!) just focus on expressing yourself. Are you sad? Play sad. Are you bored? Play a groove that expresses that. Are you sleepy? Play a lullaby. Angry? Play an...you get the picture. Be an artist. Create. Give yourself the latitude to suck, for a whole week.
    Ya know that is a very good idea, I think one of my problems is I watch these greats like Dave weckl, Neil Peart, Thomas Lang and then I go sit down and play, and I am just instantly discouraged, because I am nowhere near there skill level, and it just brings me down, I am going to just play whatever I feel, and I am just going to take a week off and just play what I feel at the moment, very good idea RD, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Ya know that is a very good idea, I think one of my problems is I watch these greats like Dave weckl, Neil Peart, Thomas Lang and then I go sit down and play, and I am just instantly discouraged, because I am nowhere near there skill level, and it just brings me down, I am going to just play whatever I feel, and I am just going to take a week off and just play what I feel at the moment, very good idea RD, thanks.
    Oh, and durring this week the only pro you can watch is Tommy Lee.

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

Lol
    Just thinking about how bad he sucks makes you feel better, huh.

User Info Menu

Yea dude RD's idea is the best. Also when you watch these videos of like Thomas Lang and other drum gods realize they have been playing their entire life, and also most have been taking lessons since childhood. Dont let it discourage you, let it fuel your fire, tell yourself if i can get half as good as these guys without starting as early as them and without lessons then that shows my determination. I hope that made sense. Just dont give up on yourself man, ive heard you play, if i was as good as you i would be siked. Goodluck man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    Yea dude RD's idea is the best. Also when you watch these videos of like Thomas Lang and other drum gods realize they have been playing their entire life, and also most have been taking lessons since childhood. Dont let it discourage you, let it fuel your fire, tell yourself if i can get half as good as these guys without starting as early as them and without lessons then that shows my determination. I hope that made sense. Just dont give up on yourself man, ive heard you play, if i was as good as you i would be siked. Goodluck man.
    Thanks man.

User Info Menu

Yea, you've got to get to first base before you get to third. Bring the notch down a bit and listen to guys that are just out of arms reach. You'll have it in no time and then you can move on from there.

Push through it ddrumBum. You'll do just fine.

User Info Menu

i feel like that sometimes, especially after putting in so much hard work and feel like your gettin no where. then come the days that are obvious that all that hard work is paying off.

when i feel like that, i usually practice something new such as marching solos or just put my pads on the drums and lightly tap away without too much fuss. it helps me alot to tuck myself away behind the kit and just double stroke around the kit and come up with really different ideas. sometimes i just turn the met off and tap away without it. if your always playing with the met on then try turning it off sometimes.

User Info Menu

Cool I feel just stuck

I don't want to sound like a wiener, but man I just feel like my playing is going backwards, I feel like my creative juices have come to a screetchin holt, I am feeling very discouraged, and almost feel like throwing in the towel, I would never quit drumming, but man does anyone else ever feel this way? or am I just a complainer and need to just suck it up and keep going? IF so what have you done to respark the fire and get the creativity going again? I try and watch videos of my favorite drummer and then go play and that just makes it worse, HELP
    Don't feel bad, man...and DON'T throw in the towel. I don't know how hard you've been play'n lately, but sometimes you need to step back every so often...if you've been goin' full-tilt for quite a while, it's like driv'n a car at top speed and wondering why you ran out of gas so quickly...

Step away from the drums for a day or two--do something else that has absolutely nothing to do with percussion. You need to recharge your spirit as well as your body...and when you get back behind the drums, you should notice a difference...

...by the way, sometimes your roughest periods come just before the big breakthrough...

...sometimes you have to take a pause to help
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck