Thread: mike system

User Info Menu

Default mike system

i've always wondered how they work and what you do.
    someone told me that you remove the bottom head off of the toms and put microphones in them. is that true?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

If you're talking about miking the toms then I suppose you could remove the bottom heads, but it works fine if you just place the mic over the top head. I'm sure you can find a nice picture of where to place it, it's not too difficult.

User Info Menu

you use a drum mic clip. It clamps on to the rim of the drum and you mount the mic to it.

Or you can just use a boom stand. But that's a kind of a pain in the rear.

User Info Menu

how much does that clamp cost?

User Info Menu

If your recording you dont use clamps Lemme know what you want to do and how you want to do it and ill tell you exactly what you need (again me and my friend have spent 6 months studying this and what we need and need to do )
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

The clips are fine for recording. I've been to several PROFESSIONAL studios that use the clips.

Ringo, depends on the ones you buy. But usually between $15 - $30 a piece.

User Info Menu

hm. I can see that point But do they use drummagog? Because any type of clip should (If its a decent mic) Induce some kind of vibration into the microphone. Thats why its ideal (not exactly practical) to use stands. If you use a program like drumma gog i would use clips.

Im not sure how it works. I think its as i lay dying orrrrr... i forget the other band. Maybe converge. No wait mudvayne. The microphones are mounted inside the tom. Jack plugs are on the shell of the drum. But thats only for live.

BTW The best way to record drums is two overheads. Then use single mic's to supliment the sound where its missing in the mix (WIth a good room, distance and mics just the two OH's will work.) I did a good demo take in a tin shed with two shotgun oh's
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 05-25-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente

At the Weckle clinic, Dave said to absolutely never use clamps on the rim. He suggested clamping to the hardware.

User Info Menu

so like on a cymbal stand or boom stand then?

User Info Menu

Dude, for what you are doing the clamps are fine. Unless you have a super professional setup, you won't know the difference.

User Info Menu

okay i'll stick to the clamps thanks guys

User Info Menu

Ya need the clamps for live anyway. If you go super professional then dont use them. Its all about vibrations and blah blah. All in all. If eliminate as many problems as you can no matter how small and all the little differences add up. Something my friend taught me.

I never use to like perfectionism. But its starting to grow on me even though it only creates problems. Also, fluro's arnt to nice on recordings. The way the lights work create weird energies that find their ways into your cables. (shouldnt matter on xlr's but on jacks it will) Sometimes it goes straight into your computer/recorder too though :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

http://www.randallmay.com/mike3.htm

this stuff looks really cool

prolly really expensive but the mics go inside of the drums and they would work really well I assume.

This is what I originally thought you guys were talking about.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Hm. I wouldnt have a problem with that live. Thats the kinda set up mudvayne use. But for recording if your taking it really really seriuosly i would go the stands and mics. And watch out for the pressure ratings of the diaphrams of the mics. Some of the worlds leading brands aint actually that great. THey may be clear but you will blow them up if you play something too loud. So be carefull when you buy.....

I do like the looks of these though. Ill try them one day.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters