Thread: Rimshots

User Info Menu

Default Rimshots

I've heard the definition of a "rimshot" to be both hitting the rim and head of a snare at the same time, and that "ba-dum CHING" sound after a lame joke. Is there a proper term for either one to differentiate between the two?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rimshots

A rimshot is just a accent from the regular head. It gives you a louder crack when you hit the rim and head. The "ba-dum CHING" are just regular hits (I guess?) where you hit only on the drum head itself. Just another tool to your toolbox of sounds.

User Info Menu

The joke thing isn't a rimshot. The first definition is the correct one, hitting head and rim.

User Info Menu

RIM SHOT is the only term I know but I have heard another but can't remember what it is.

User Info Menu

They are both called rimshots.

User Info Menu

accent (crack)=rim shot and quiet tap (click)=side stick
    Last edited by itchie; 05-03-2011 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I've always wondered this myself.

Like when someone writes a joke like:

"What's brown and sticky? A stick (rimshot)."

"BA DOOMP CHING" isn't actually a rimshot. A rimshot is a "CRACK".
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

They are both called rimshots. The term is an old one, but still used today. Words can have more than one definition.

User Info Menu

The joke thing / rim shot ..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnOl4VcV5ng&feature=related"]YouTube - GARY RIMSHOT[/ame]

Rim Shot

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9iaSp77xB8&feature=related"]YouTube - Drum tutor , How to do a rim shot.[/ame]