Thread: Blast Beat QnA

User Info Menu

Default Blast Beat QnA

Ive been drumming for a long long time and have had much trouble with one thing, blasting! i listen to bands like Kalmah, Behemoth, and Skyfire; where blasting is a normal thing in almost every song. I am in a Melodic Metal band and i lack the blasting. Im righty and i can only blast with my right hand on snare left on high hat etc. should i do bouncing and finger exercises on my left hand to get it down or what?
    15 Year Self Taught Veteran

Sonor Force Kit
    Sabian

• 12" AAx Splash
    • 18" AAx Dark Crash
    • 16" AAX Studio Crash
    • 20" AAX Raw Bell Ride
    • 10" XS Splash
    • 14" AAX High Hat

Wuhan

• Sizzle China

1964 Ludwig 400 snare (vintage)

DW 8000 double pedal

METAL IS THE LAW

My Band

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blast Beat QnA

im trying to learn finger technique on my left as well but with blasting imo its more about the snare and bass the rest kind of gets lost in the mix if you know what i mean
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

i've been drumming for over 20 years, professionally playing metal for 10 years. i will admit that i still cannot play prolonged blast beats. i'm only super fast with the kick, so don't feel too bad!

User Info Menu

Look up for Derek Roddy drills...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP_stPGI"]YouTube - Derek Roddys Drum Lessons & Solos Part 2[/ame]

They're really good for blasting
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    Look up for Derek Roddy drills...
    YouTube - Derek Roddys Drum Lessons & Solos Part 2

They're really good for blasting
    This.
    Derek is such an ace.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I only switched from bass to drums BECAUSE I could blast!!!! Fair enough, it wasn't a gravity type but it was there. The rest of the drumming came along afterwards. I haven't played in a while though........eek. I'm back to rudiments to bring my timing & technique back together.

User Info Menu

If you must blast (I hate blasts most of the time, musically they don't make sense to me, though I enjoy the challenge of playing them sometimes) make sure you can get that hammer blast (both hands and kick on every beat) down. It's the most theoretically simple blast, but one of the hardest to play due to most peoples inherent favoring of certain limbs. Get that perfect and it's all good.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    If you must blast (I hate blasts most of the time, musically they don't make sense to me, though I enjoy the challenge of playing them sometimes) make sure you can get that hammer blast (both hands and kick on every beat) down. It's the most theoretically simple blast, but one of the hardest to play due to most peoples inherent favoring of certain limbs. Get that perfect and it's all good.

i agree man i dont like them and reall the only talent is the stamina you have to do them hahaha
    15 Year Self Taught Veteran

Sonor Force Kit
    Sabian

• 12" AAx Splash
    • 18" AAx Dark Crash
    • 16" AAX Studio Crash
    • 20" AAX Raw Bell Ride
    • 10" XS Splash
    • 14" AAX High Hat

Wuhan

• Sizzle China

1964 Ludwig 400 snare (vintage)

DW 8000 double pedal

METAL IS THE LAW

My Band

User Info Menu

Blasting??????..man I am getting old......neeeever heard of it!..you guys are killing me, just when I thought I was a hip old dude..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Lots of double strokes. Anything with doubles will do you good. I.E. Plain double strokes, 5/7/9/10 stroke open rolls, paradiddles (single double triple) and so on. Try starting these rudiments with your left hand instead of your right, too, to build strength.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Flying Fingers. 3 and 4 (5 too, but not as much) hitting the bottom of the stick. That's how you see amazingly fast drummers do it. Check out Spikeydrummer's video on it, that helped me a ton.

User Info Menu

This is my secret: play on something soft, something un-ideal for playing fast on. Play simple snare rudiments as FAST as you can for as LONG as you can on your thighs or a pillow. Coordinate your feet on the floor once you get a good technique with your hands.

If you have good technique with one hand, practice playing blasts in the air with both hands at once, mimicking the technique of your right with your left. This allows you to compare technique and symmetry in real-time, while you're playing. Very helpful.

My favorite rudiment is this: [R L R L R L R L] [R L L R L R R L] [R R L L R R L L] [R L R R L R L L] Pretty simple really, singles strokes into a backwards-ish paradiddle, into doubles, into a normal paradiddle. Start with your hands, then play with hands at feet at the same time. Practice all of this on your thighs, aways from your set. You'll be outrageously fast in like three weeks.

User Info Menu

buy george kollias' intense metal drumming DVD. its helped me with me feet and hand precision and speed so much. what ive learned in drumming so far is that the best way to blast beat is the flying finger technique. i use the flying finger technique but for some reason ive ended up only using my middle finger to power the stick, but it works. ive been learning euro blasts, aka have to use my left hand for blasting. i use the flying finger technique in my left hand but its different than the way i feel comfortable with my right hand.

so basically, once youve done all your homework and learned the technique, apply it however feels most comfortable to you (while still being able to perform it correctly lol) and go from there.