Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What song made you want to start playing drums?

User Info Menu

Default What song made you want to start playing drums?

Hunka hunka burnin' love off an Elvis live CD my parents had. Drum Fills everywhere!!

User Info Menu

no song in particular for me i have always really admired the sound of the drums. i would like to name a song but i cant.

User Info Menu

My dad's band! I was listening to them before I was even born.

User Info Menu

I'm like livewire80. No particular sound did it for me. Since I was a little kid, I always wanted to play the drums, but I got a clarinet instead. Whenever I listen to music, I hear the drum beat. It's always what moved me when I listened to music. One day I just asked myself what I was waiting for. I started playing the guitar a little before Christmas of last year, and then I bought a practice pad to practice drum beats, thinking that it would solidify rythms in my head and improve my guitar playing. Well, it did that and more. I now have two loves. Guitars and drums. I guess it was just time to let my creative side out!

User Info Menu

Cool What song made you want to start playing drums?

Set: "Wipeout!" (like many of us in the '60s)

Hand Percussion: There is a St. Louis-based jazz group called Quartette Tres Bien which played a club called The Dark Side in an old-time entertainment district (in this case, 1960s) called Gaslight Square. It consists of a pianist, a bassist, a set player, and a dude who played three congas and a pair of bongos like no one I have ever seen before or since. Their specialty was, needless to say, cool dark jazz with much percussion. There was a Gaslight Square revival in 1981 at which I saw them in action--and I was just spellbound watch'n that conga player. (Truth is that's what really pushed me to start studying percussion!) I think they played "A Taste of Honey," but they could have played a detergent commercial and blown me away, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Whoa.....
    I think it was Soul to Squeeze by RHCP that got me into it.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Dad took reliefe class for the music class one day. I saw him playing drums :P And animal would have to be my earliest memory... Him or alvin and the chipmonks. I use to watch that show religiously
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i had been playing for about 3 years when hot for teacher came out, its songs like that help keep me goin. drums just song so cool, i really have missed playing them.

User Info Menu

I just always loved the drums, especially the bass...... I love feeling that "thud" in my stomach, that's a great feeling....... The one song that got me very excited about drumming was "Welcome To The Black Parade", I love that song and IMO the drums are kickin'.........

User Info Menu

The theam from Hawii Five-O.

User Info Menu

Actualy after i was having lessons there was rock around the clock i wanted to play drums for coz i thought i could play it better than fletty.... and i was told i was gonna get to drum to hawaii 5-0 but we never got to play it :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

With Vasilis Papakonstantinou (Greek rock star)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by george007
    With Vasilis Papakonstantinou (Greek rock star)

User Info Menu

I just really liked the sound, the looks, and how loud they were, then when I started plaing I was really into bands Van Halen, motley crue, Rush, Cinderella, skid row, metallica, and it just took off from there.

btw I was 13 and yes I was a 80's butt rocker.

User Info Menu

not really a pirticular song, but i went and saw a local band and all i could watch was the drummer, because he had so much energy and we was just totally in the music, and i knew i wanted to do that someday.

User Info Menu

It wasn't actually a song, but a person. This girl who drummed at my church showed me how to do a 4/4 beat, and that was it, i liked it. I started getting some lessons, then stopped, out ot boredom. A little while later I was asked to play for another church we strated going to, mainly because they were desperate (one drummer was also the bass player, and the other guy who could play drums was the pastor, and he preffered to sing and play keyboard, so they were kinds stuck until they decided I should play), So I started practising again and just playing along to the songs I was gonna play, next thing I know it's the one thing I love more than anything (except maybe my wife and kids......maybe). Never did lessons again thoug, although I probably should have.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Actually, now that I really think about it...
    I believe it was Beer by Psychostick
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

It wasn't really a song that led me to picking drums. I think I've always had a natural affinity with rhythm and beat. Eventually drums just picked me.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    It wasn't really a song that led me to picking drums. I think I've always had a natural affinity with rhythm and beat. Eventually drums just picked me.

HB58
    Yes! Well said HB. That was my experience, too! The drums picked me. Couldn't have said it better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    The theam from Hawii Five-O.
    Actually RD, that was it for me too! I had totally forgot about the Hawaii Five O song. It pre-dated the song I mentioned. I used to live to hear that fill every time they played the theme song. Air drumming baby!

User Info Menu

Good old drumming to brass bands. Its so much fun!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

bonzo's Montreux off of CODA by good old Led Zeppelin and probably Moby **** by Zeppelin as well.

User Info Menu

Hm. Many people here seem to have started off music from the same erra..... Either were all old.... or just strangely connected :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I just wanted to learn an instrument. Everyone I knew was all playing guitar and I wanted to do something different, so either bass or drums. I just ended up choosing drums.

But I was really inspired by some old Ramones songs, like Blitzkrieg Bop and stuff. Those were just simple and brimming with energy and really inspired you to play like them.

User Info Menu

It definatly is a different instrument to learn. I learnt it A because i was lazy and didnt want to learn to read sheet notes (later finding i had to anyway) But it is different. Now i learn the sexual status in bands is generally (bassists if there those big upright basses) Drummers guitarists then singers :P

One thing that i find dissapointing is the lack of drummer frontmen :( The drummer from atreyu is close i guess.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters