Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mini monster

User Info Menu

Default mini monster

picked up a sonor safari kit shell pack for what seems like peanuts for a kit. same dimensions as jungle kit ,(minus jingle snare), though made of basswood, replete with tune-safe lugs and single tom arm.

16" x 16" bass drum with riser attachment
    10" x 8" mounted tom
    14" x 12" floor tom
    14" x 5" snare

after trading out the stock tom heads w/vintage ambassadors they sound great, round with a fair amount of sustain. the basswood is soft and really mellows the frequency range, which personally i like.

the snare though snappy and fairly sensitive considering, is a little hollow so i would recommend trading it out, which for me meant a 14x7 beech squealer(see review).

the bass drum has real umph! considering its size,(due to the extra depth i assume), and though it will not work unmicd in a very loud context it should suffice for any smaller, moderate rock/songwriter/jazz settings. also judging from its natural acoustics i can see this drum micing up well.
    also the black galaxy sparkle wrap is real classy. the natural wrap option just offended me for some reason

anyhow for my money and my needs this kit is a dream, and my back is thanking me too!

anyone else have any experience with these or have any comments on there favorite mini-kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: mini monster

i meant 14x6 beech squealer, don't think they make a 14x7, but if they did...????

User Info Menu

cut a hole in the stock resonant bd head today, tried with a 10" tom head as a template and fudged it, in the future i will one: take the head off the drum and 2: let my extreme excitement go unheeded and celaphane tape around template, just sayin!

regardless the hole was ultimately cut back to the three inch deadening ring diameter on the back of the head, not a bad dimension for pillow manipulation though it now leaves the tom mount post quite exposed as you can imagine on a 16 inch bass drum,(considering its the same length as a standard tom mount post).

anyhow i like a lot of dead punch from my kick and needed the permanent option of adjusting and re-adjusting a dungaree wrapped cylinder shaped pillow, (fits nice folded in two).

well beyond ruining a stock insignia sonor head, i got the sound/feel i wanted and when in the future i need some extra ambiance from my BD i've decided to get a fiberskin resonant, cause hell, it looks like the moon and sounds stellar on my frame drum!
    Last edited by onegourd; 05-11-2011 at 02:36 AM.

User Info Menu

If you can post some pictures, that will be fantastic! Small diameter drums are awesome.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

yea i favor smaller drums/kits, my previous kit was a 14" bass drum from a junior kit i found in the trash and 10" dw snare, loved it. in fact im still adjusting to the larger BD and wondering what in the world i should do with my toms, being i haven't played any for six or seven years now!

ill post pics as soon as i figure it all out. also not so sure im allowed as of yet,are pics considered attachments? anyhow i should really read some relevant posts on this topic.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

loving this setup, feeling something like miniature envy!
    Bd in a speaker cabinet ingenious! is there snare wire on the underside of that little drum. what sort of music are you playing w/this would love a live sound sample.

thanx for sharing wnd1, was beginning to think i was the only one who dug this sort of thing.

User Info Menu

Now that is cool! I would love to try that out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    Bd in a speaker cabinet ingenious! is there snare wire on the underside of that little drum. what sort of music are you playing w/this would love a live sound sample.

thanx for sharing wnd1, was beginning to think i was the only one who dug this sort of thing.
    Hi,Onegourd!
    Thanks!! yes!! there's a home-made snare-wire inside the Single-head 10"mini snare(cut from 10" tom!!) In fact!! the whole thing can go inside the Box!!But since I need to check in cargo..so i need to reduce the weight!! the Hi-Hat,Cymbal stand & cymbal are borrow from my friend.Normally! I like to use just a 10" mini-hat!! here's actual photo & set-up that I use!

I only need to carry just the Box!!! very very handy!!!
    I play normally Swing,Latin(Bosa,samba)funk,R&B!!
    I'm into drum building too(past 10 years!!!)I got alot of custom made mini drum-kits!!!
    Last edited by wonder1; 05-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Another Mini ****tail-drum that I always use!!! 10" kick-drum!!

custom-made!!! 12" snare & 10" kick!!

I play Conga too!!! custom-made "Kick Conga"!!!
    Last edited by wonder1; 05-15-2011 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Haha!! hope you like it

User Info Menu

wow, these are all so amazing! what a wealth of great ideas. you've really got me thinking.

again, really wonderful stuff, thanks again for sharing these!

i plan to soon post a pic of my now, not so little kit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wonder1 View Post

Haha!! hope you like it
    These are extremely creative and cool. I would love to hear how they sound.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Wonder...ineed a kit like this....
    Can you build one for me?
    Since i'm nearly blind these daze,
    i haveta rely on others
    to bring my dreams to real;it...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Wonder...ineed a kit like this....
    Can you build one for me?
    Since i'm nearly blind these daze,
    i haveta rely on others
    to bring my dreams to real;it...
    Hi,PHROGGE!!!
    Very sorry!! drum building just my hobby only!! Just hope you don't mind!!! I believe you can find some one who can help you!!! just don't give up!!!!

User Info Menu

These mini kits are awesome! I cut down some stands and minimized the drums for my boys kit.

My 3 year old

my 1 year old
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post

As a matter of fact there are a few of us out here. I am a huge fan of the mini-kit concept. For my main set...I have almost jungle kit sizes, except an 18 bass instead. (converted floor on homemade riser.) 10 rack tom and 14 floor with a Pacific piccolo snare. Sound killer. I experiment a lot also with smaller diameter cymabals Example...12 hats, a 15 hat bottom used as a ride, and various splashes as crashes. I do not play heavy metal so for the situations I perform in, l never have a problem getting the volume I need. I also love the fast playability and of course general set up and portability. I also like the "visibility" factor I get from playing smaller sets.

Wonder One. I stand in absolute awe of your creations.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi,Kay-Gee!
    Thanks alot for your kind words! This's another compact-Box-drum kits that I create 2 months ago.Still base on "Cajon" concept.Just add the kick drum(front)with 13" drum head.For the 10" snare(DIY snare-wire attached)position on the left.There's another 12" head as "tom". I also modify my Tama Iron-Cobra Pedal with car's clutch cable.so that,I feel more comfortable playing the kick pedal.DIY Pedal-Tambourine & Pedal-Cabasa! The 12" splash cymbal will add as Mini-Ride/Crash.8" mini-hat on right position.The Top part of the box can be open.The whole thing will go inside the Box for easy carry!!!
    Regards,
    Peter(wonder1)

User Info Menu

That's the Band that I play with (Roger Wang Trio) you can check up at You-Tube and type : Roger Wang Trio.(There's a short video-clip taken during last year Penang Jazz Fest).
    Regards,
    Peter(Wonder1)

User Info Menu

Hi,
    This is another Remote Cable Kick pedal that I use for my another compact drum-kits.It's 16" Tama Rock-star floor tom(cut) and attached a 6" mini snare inside.
    Regards,
    Peter(wonder1)

User Info Menu

Peter, you sounded great on that video! Cool sounding kit, and you can really make it happen behind that kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi,Pastor Bob!
    Thanks alot for your kind words!
    Regards,
    Peter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    These are extremely creative and cool. I would love to hear how they sound.
    please go to you-tube:"Roger Wang & friends - Butterfly Baby".I'm using this Mini Blue/white drum.(with all Audio Technical drums mic)
    Thanks!
    Regards,
    Peter

User Info Menu

Hi,
    This is another Remote Cable Kick pedal that I use for my another compact drum-kits.It's 16" Tama Rock-star floor tom(cut) and attached a 6" mini snare inside.
    Regards,
    Peter(wonder1)
    Click: you-tube "spices of Tones" sound check

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Regards,
    Peter(wonder1)
    Click: you-tube "spices of Tones" sound check!sorry for the sound(handphone)