Thread: Expanded Alesis DM6 or DM10

User Info Menu

Default Expanded Alesis DM6 or DM10

Hey guys, I'm on a bit of a tight budget but was just wondering what do you guys think would be better

An expanded Alesis DM6 kit (i.e. add one extra cymbal, possible one tom in the future)

or just buy the DM10

I'm not even sure if they sell DM6 cymbals seperately, but I'm thinking about sound quality etc, what do you guys think?

I'll be new to electronic drums, the other thing I'd like to know is, once you have the midi file on your comp, can you further change the sound of the snare hi hat etc?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Expanded Alesis DM6 or DM10

I'd go with the DM10. Less worrying in your case lol
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

There is no comparing the DM6 and the DM10. The DM6 module is a joke and the DM10 is a legitimate mid-level drum module. If you've got the cash for a DM10, don't even bother considering the DM6 for any reason.

As for hardware, most e-kit hardware is interchangeable (even across brands). You're in no way stuck with the same type of pads or cymbals that come with either kit. The expansion of your kit is only limited to the number of inputs it can handle.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Alright, thanks guys
    Can you update the DM10 with different sounds from the internet or things like that?

User Info Menu

I'm not totally sure but I bet you could if it has a USB port.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

You can't import your own samples into the DM10 brain but as with all kits - you can hook this up to a computer via USB or MIDI and use something like EZDrummer, BFD or Superior.

Personally i am not a fan of the DM10 pads. they look like a bigger version of the DM5 pads and they felt terrible! dont even get me started on the amount of faulty ones i have dealt with!

Has anyone had a closer look at the pearl redbox brain that comes with the Epro kit??
    Looks very similar to a DM10 brain but shiny and red. Turns out this is the DM10 module but with pearl's own samples in there.
    MikeTheDrums

User Info Menu

Does anyone know the difference between the new 2011 DM10 and the old one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheDrums View Post
    You can't import your own samples into the DM10 brain but as with all kits - you can hook this up to a computer via USB or MIDI and use something like EZDrummer, BFD or Superior.

Personally i am not a fan of the DM10 pads. they look like a bigger version of the DM5 pads and they felt terrible! dont even get me started on the amount of faulty ones i have dealt with!

Has anyone had a closer look at the pearl redbox brain that comes with the Epro kit??
    Looks very similar to a DM10 brain but shiny and red. Turns out this is the DM10 module but with pearl's own samples in there.
    Thanks for the heads-up about that one Mike, might have a look at it next time I'm checking out more electronic gear.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I had issues with spending $1100 skins on an Alesis DM10 e kit.

So I use the Alesis DM5 $300 with triggers and I made my own drums from a donor set:

I use the RealHead drum only as a conga or timbale - it feels funky compared to a real drumskin, and it is too loud - sounds like you are tapping on the wall.

So I use the drums I made instead.

When I get tired of the 21 12 item drum sets, the 500 sounds, and my skills improve, I'll upgrade to the DM10 module and keep my homemade drum pads.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

I am very new here and recently purchased the Alesis DM6 'Expanded'. I have not had a kit in the house for over (10) years and didn't want to spend a lot of $$ and it seemed fine. Although I have not had it for more than a month, and just today purchased a Simmons DA20 Amp, I have loved it. Keep in mind I am not in a band, not recording and such.

I did spend a few hundred $$ on EZDrummer and still and working out how to hook all that stuff up. The drum sounds from the Alesis are 'OK' with me, again not a professional drummer or engineer, and with the EZDrummer i can trigger other drum kits. I was somewhat disappointed as there are 'limited' kits with the DM6 and some are totally not my style, wierd crap. They should of put more realistic drum sounds but's that my opinion.

I am thinking with the EZDrummer, the new amp and such I should be set. I am currently trying to figure out what I need from Radio Shack in regards to cables and such to get the Simmons amp working, remember I am new to all this electronic drum stuff.

Bottom line is I am liking the DM6, the pads although they are not 'real' drums are easy to used to. It's fine for me and my objectives.....that is being able to play along, when no one is home on the amp, and when they are with the headphones! There is nothing like playing alot to your favorite tunes!

Have fun!
    JimD

User Info Menu

I made my pearl drums like ddrums under the heads, w/a pad & radio shack piezo triggers and used a D4. Still works since 1992.