Thread: Does anyone know how to attach this drum mute?!

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone know how to attach this drum mute?!

Hi everyone!
    I'm moving to a new flat in a week, and I purchased some 2nd hand mutes for my drums so I will be able to practice with out pissing off the flat mates. They're all easy to put on except the damn bass drum one! The bass mute looks like this:

Obviously the middle part attaches to the drum its self, but I have NO idea what the two D shaped pads are for! I think they attach to the pedal some how, but how that works is beyond me! I've tried googling it and had no luck. Can anybody help??

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone know how to attach this drum mute?!

Welcome to Drum Chat Frejay!

I've never seen that type of mute before, so I can't help you, but hopeful someone else will come along that has.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh that....lol....I've got kinda the same thing with a couple of kick mutes of mine.....gimme a lil' bit of time here in between students.....I'll do some photos of how to mount that and post 'em on here.....easy peasy!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

What's the name of the product? Perhaps there is an online pdf you can download to check out the manual for it. If there isn't, contact the manufacturer for instructions and/or installation guide. It's an unusual design, and one I have not seen before since I use sound percussion mutes. I can see the point of using half circle rubber cutouts, but the string doesn't make any sense to me. I would think anything you fasten it to, with any amount of greater force would cause the surfaces to fall out of position. Maybe they are an optional accessory, meant to be glued or taped down, but that's just a guess.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Did it come with some plastic "S" shaped hooks? I use a similar mute that has the same type of setup. Use the hooks to connect the bands to the top two tension rods and the same for the bottom. My setup had two hooks per side for the bottom as shown in this pic.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

DrummerD...lol...beat me to it. Yeah, I lost the S hooks, but the whole thing's still usable.

Ok Frejay, I took some photos, here we go step by step. I'm presuming what runs throught those semi-circular bits are very large rubber bands, am I right? They usually come with bass drum pads from companies like (Sound Percussion, HQ Percussion, and a few other brands but definitely not Vic Firth).If those are rubber bands that you have, this is what you do.

Step 1: Pass one end over the tension bolt (T-Rods on older bass drums), and stretch other end down to an opposite one, as shown below. Make sure the flat end of the semi-circular cut-out faces the drum head.

Step 2: now take one end of the band and stretch it to the next T-Rod or tension bolt as shown

Step 3: Now insert the pad behind this. This one band already makes it easy to put the pad at a vertical angle, saving you having to lie the drum on a flat surface. And for your information, the triangle shaped cut-out in the pad allows the chain or strap of the bass-drum pedal to move freely, in case you ask.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the band on the right side of the pad. Done!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-10-2011 at 04:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Aye drumbledore can you please shrink your pics mate cause you are taking to much room. I know you want to help by showing detail but it does'nt have to take the whole page. Just a suggestion if you don't already know.

User Info Menu

Awesome thanks so much Drumbledore and DrummerD!! I don't have any S hooks but it still works well. And thank you for the warm welcome :D
    Last edited by Frejay; 05-09-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something!!

User Info Menu

welcome to drumchat frejay

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Aye drumbledore can you please shrink your pics mate cause you are taking to much room. I know you want to help by showing detail but it does'nt have to take the whole page. Just a suggestion if you don't already know.
    Ok, cool, fixed.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone know how to attach this drum mute?!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Ok, cool, fixed.
    Thanks Drumbledore did'nt mean to sound harsh or anything.

User Info Menu

Haha I was late to reply to the thread. My bass mute is like that too, attaches the same way. Nobody gave me S hooks, the biaaatches
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva