Thread: Differences between bongo and conga techniques?

User Info Menu

Question Differences between bongo and conga techniques?

Bongo technique versus congas'.

- Are they somewhat similar?
    - Could one learn on the bongos and later move to congas, without starting from scratch again?

I think I would like to try congas, but can't commit to their cost of decent congas right now, and thinking bongos might help me get me started.
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Differences between bongo and conga techniques?

subscribed
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I would start with the congas on you if i was you since they have a harder head your hands will be accustomed to playing them and also look of hand exercises and be sure to do them dont want to get hurt while playing and if you need to tape your fingers sometimes when you play dont over do it or the callous wont build up quickly
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Well I'm still learning when it comes to congas, a lot of the time I'm having to watch videos and live performances to get better. I have two or three friends who play pretty well, one recently showed me how to approach a mambo pattern that he'd like me to play with him some time soon, wish me luck! Here's what some hand positions are like with congas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJ0w_83k9E&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - Conga Drum Bass Tip Tip Excercise 1 for Beginners[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2sKnSbXkzA&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - How to Play Congas: Very basic technique, position and tones[/ame]

Whereas with bongos, hand technique is quite different. Have a look at this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_lZ-THdws&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - A Beginning Bongo Lesson With Memo Acevedo[/ame]

Happy drumming!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-11-2011 at 04:51 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Differences between bongo and conga techniques?

Hey, poodlesdrum--that's exactly what I did when I started studying hand drumming in the mid-'80s!

As Drumbledore pointed out, there are differences in hand positions between congas and bongos, but the basics of both are similar enough that you can start on bongos and switch to congas. In fact, you can practice on both almost interchangably; it's really useful if you're playing both bongo and conga parts in the same song, or even experimenting with getting different "voices" in your rhythm patterns.

I understand the book is still in print (and now there's a DVD, if I'm not mistaken), but look for Ted Reed's Progressive Steps to Bongo and Conga Technique in the usual places (and be sure to check drumbum.com, of course!). The Reed book, although published back in 1961, is one of the best basic books on playing both bongos and congas I've ever seen (and used!).

Good luck!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I understand the book is still in print (and now there's a DVD, if I'm not mistaken), but look for Ted Reed's Progressive Steps to Bongo and Conga Technique in the usual places (and be sure to check drumbum.com, of course!). The Reed book, although published back in 1961, is one of the best basic books on playing both bongos and congas I've ever seen (and used!).

Good luck!
    Not wrong that, BB. I snapped the book up for a song a number of years ago, $9.95.....it was languishing at the back of shelf at a music store, so of course I grabbed it!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    As Drumbledore pointed out, there are differences in hand positions between congas and bongos, but the basics of both are similar enough that you can start on bongos and switch to congas. In fact, you can practice on both almost interchangably; it's really useful if you're playing both bongo and conga parts in the same song, or even experimenting with getting different "voices" in your rhythm patterns.
    I totally agree with this. You use a slightly different part of your hand on each, and the bongos often play on a different part of the beat than the congas, but just immersing yourself in Latin music will give you a good idea if it's something you want to invest more in. Timbales are often the third step on that path. You need to be able to play (or at least understand) all three as well as the bell parts and know where they sit with a clave pattern to understand what the heck is going on in an often complicated but fun system.

Dig in!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Differences between bongo and conga techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I totally agree with this. You use a slightly different part of your hand on each, and the bongos often play on a different part of the beat than the congas, but just immersing yourself in Latin music will give you a good idea if it's something you want to invest more in. Timbales are often the third step on that path. You need to be able to play (or at least understand) all three as well as the bell parts and know where they sit with a clave pattern to understand what the heck is going on in an often complicated but fun system.

Dig in!
    Couldn't have added that better myself, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck