Thread: double bass problem...please help

User Info Menu

Default double bass problem...please help

I have been playing double bass pedal for about two and a half years on the same single chain dixon pedals i bought back then.

Six months ago, I used to be able to keep a constant clean double bass kick going for about five minutes at 120 bpm, then that increased to 130bpm.

I really need some advice and help here because I am struggling to keep a constant beat at that speed for two minutes.

the pedals feel really loose compared to when i first got them

i practice alot of things for smoothness and independance and it feels like I have lost the feel for them. Im really disheartened by this and frustrated because I am feeling really uncomfortable playing doubles and after two and a half years I should not feel like this.

Is it me? or the pedals possibly. Please help

your advice and help is greatly appreciated

User Info Menu

well you've increased speed, so it's gonna be harder than it was before, more of a strain on you muscles...and the pedals feeling loose can be fixed by adjusting the springs
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

i tried adjusting the springs, they are beyond adjusting. i think i might be getting some slipage of the chain. they just feel terrible.

User Info Menu

then it's probably time to buy some new pedals...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

yeah i agree with eggy here. i would consider getting the dw 9000's
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

i know someone who replaced his pearl springs with industrial springs. Worked way better :P Either tighten all the nuts and bolts on your kick (to make sure it dont fall apart like mine did many times) Possibly think of an upgrade? I dont like really static peddals you cant change. I have been having wet dreams over the pearl eliminator 2002c for years! :> worlds most custamiseable peddle ever..... well it was anyway.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

DW 9000s are a hell of a step up from whatever pedal you happen to play at the moment. Unless you play Axis or Trick.

I'd probably look at getting some of the more affordable, yet quality pedals. Think Eliminators or Cobras or something. Don't get too in over your head.

Looking at a pic of your Dixon Pedals on Google Images, it seems to me that they are a fairly entry level pedal. Is this correct? I started learning on Sonic Drive pedals, and I have to say, they are atrocious. After using them for so long, a lot of the adjustability of the springs and the pedals has been lost. To the point where I think they are the only thing holding me back from getting any faster with my double kicks.

I'm sitting currently comfortably at 150bpm 16th notes for a fairly long period of time. But can manage quick blasts of 180bpm 16ths and above.

I should be upgrading my pedals soon, to Pearl Eliminators =D

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I love the eliminator. The fact you can move the pedal back and forward. Change the cams. Drive gear. beaters. everything. It all adds to how you play it and i dont wanna spend 600odd $ or more on a pedal to do something difference. Changing a 10$ cam is much much better by me :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

thanks for the tips guys. i have been playing on the dixons for a while and yes they are entry level. the bass drum pedal does not have a bass and the foot plates are narrow. i have a gibraltar 5 series single pedal which I tried today and that felt so good. i am definately getting rid of the dixons because I feel they are restricting my speed as well. what do you think of these pedals that im thinking of getting. They are a no name but have the quality components and features of higher end pedals.

I would love to buy the dw 9000 but just cant afford that right now. These look pretty good for the price...

what ya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PRO-TWIN-Chai...QQcmdZViewItem

HB58, thats some nice speed you are getting on the doubles. Are you playing that with any special technique such as heel toe or are you playing straight out heel up or down.

User Info Menu

159...... I spent 200$ and was really really dissapointed
    I know its expencive. But i wouldnt go bellow a eliminator....

Or just goto ur music shop and try what feels best.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

have you got the same pedals stevo? as the ones im looking at buying?

User Info Menu

Do NOT buy those pedals.

I have used those before, and without a shadow of a doubt, you will be very disappointed.

Everything is wrong with those pedals. Everything.

Honestly, you will be much happier if you wait and save and buy a decent set of pedals.

Don't buy those pedals.

Anyway, I use Heel Up mostly. But have worked out how to do Heel Toe on my Pearl Pedal only (Left Foot).

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

thanks for that hb. I will cancel the order because I have already bidded on them. hopefully I can do that.

User Info Menu

I think that costs money on ebay man :( I brought DXP's.... well my mate brought me them beacuse we needed double bass and that fitted in with his centerlink back payments :P So their ours and we will be glad to see the end of them.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

ill try ringing the seller tomorrow. Otherwise i am stuck with them now but im sure they will be a step up from the dixons i got at the moment. they are gone big time. If I do manage to cancel and the seller accepts Ill just keep saving.

thanks again.

User Info Menu

NP........ if i were you i would stick to pearl or tama (turns out their hardwear is good) i know their iron cobra is highly popular. DW seem to have a popular series as well.... I would say a double kick is worth buying the perfect one first time. Then keeping it forever and use it well coz double kick if your going fast needs to be refinded to what your doing.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Well it looks as though it should all be ok to cancel the bid.

I will start looking into the eliminators and iron cobras. I want to purchase something that will last a long time.

User Info Menu

Good stuff LW80. Trust me, you would've been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    NP........ if i were you i would stick to pearl or tama (turns out their hardwear is good) i know their iron cobra is highly popular. DW seem to have a popular series as well.... I would say a double kick is worth buying the perfect one first time. Then keeping it forever and use it well coz double kick if your going fast needs to be refinded to what your doing.
    Yeah man, TAMA hardware is really solid, and well built. The DW popular pedal is probably the 5000 series you are thinking of.

I have to disagree with your though, buying a perfect double kick for a beginner is a bad idea. I mean, if you had all the adjustability of a DW 9000, you would be in way over your head. Not to mention way over your budget. Especially for something that hasn't necessarily become a dominant part of your drumming repertoire.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

HB58, thanks so much! your advice has been priceless not to mention the amount of money I have saved now to put towards some higher quality pedals.

Question on your double kicks. Are you playing them as double strokes or single stroke ? The reason I ask is that I am finding that at times I notice that my left foot is naturally playing heel toe at higher speeds for short moments and then it stops. And I have noticed the heel toe is used for both double and single strokes. i have a good link to heel toe single stroke which I will post on the heel toe post going at the moment. I will do that tonight.
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-30-2007 at 01:30 AM.

User Info Menu

You use both depending the sound and speed you want. I dont know why such a big pedal isnt good. You start out with it set as standard. Play it, feel it.... then try different things.
    it will take ages but you will find what you like witohut buying 10 different pedals. Thats what i think anyways. I see you point. But its the expencive way if i was gonna do it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Single Strokes mainly. I've only just started to incorporate Heel/Toe into my drumming style. Basically because I can only do it with my left foot. (I have a crappy pedal, similar to what you were going to buy for my right pedal).

Talk to me after I buy my Eliminators =P

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

what what WHAT? i cant hear you. that eliminator is squeeking too loud.
    sorry, old joke from the pearl forum.

User Info Menu

Well, I've had no problem with my P1000 so far. I figured Eliminators are the next step up.

HB58

Rudiments?