Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out JJ!!!

User Info Menu

Default Check out JJ!!!

Dude i knew he was fast but this is unbelievable

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/joeyjordison.html

or the youtube version
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ZMK4jKXcqs
    Last edited by Ringo; 05-25-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Yeah i have this dvd. It was a cool solo. Unique. But i must say. There is nothing special about joey J. Sure he is fast. But i dunno. There is a false idol part to him i find. He started as a guitarist not a drummer. He only got there coz he was bored and his parents were rich. He may love it. Ive seen him say himself he is nothing special. He is more into putting meaning into something. But i will admit He is fast at what he does. HE does his stuff well. But there be more faster and intricate drummers than him again.

But long live the jordinson, He was my drumming idol for a long time
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

how can you say that? he is phenomenal, jordison is great at what he does not because of his speed but because of his technique. he was in drum corps for 6 years before joining slipknot. and he is reviewed as one of the world's best metal drummers. so what do you say to that?
    Last edited by Ringo; 05-26-2007 at 10:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Im not a huge slipknot fan(i used to be though) He is a great drummer, very fast, and has a unique style. I really dig the drum lift haha.

User Info Menu

does anyone know what kinda heads he uses on his basses!

User Info Menu

Why? Most likely heads that match the ones on his toms

His heads arnt waht makes that sound, its the pearl masters kit, and the mic working, thats what gives it the fat but crisp pop sound

User Info Menu

maybe i'll buy pearl export then

User Info Menu

Eh, if your gonna upgrade, i dont usggest a pearl export, thats a entry kit, save up and get something better, he uses masters, but if they were to re-model his kit, it would be an un-godly price, like, easily 10 grand?

User Info Menu

Yeah masters in australia. Without the second kick. was high 8000$. Saw it in a shop .There are lots of export imatations of his kit. And studying means nothing if you dont know how to apply it. Name a song where joey plays an off beat? Or anything outside of 3/4 and 4/4 Studying and playing fast.... I dont think .... Are important. I would much rather see some old jazz player off the street playing side stick with both hands on a left handed kit (while he is right handed) Because thats more special to pull off. Metal drummer, Prolly is. Because everyone said that metalicas drummer was special. Again, I saw nothing. It must be the genre of music. I loved slipknot. Shame rick rubins didnt stick to chilli peppers. They would have recorded iowa heaps better.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

jordison uses masters series so i'll go with that. but his bass drum is 18" long instead of the 16" long that comes with the masters series kit. But right now i'm trying to determine whether to get an EMAD 2 bass drum head or a Remo Powerstroke 3 head for my bass which is better for a deep metal sound? i wanna tune it so it sounds like either jordison's or like the rev's

User Info Menu

Lol, buddy, you dont know what your thinking here, masters is INCREDIBLY expencive, its like DW expencive, then you gotta add hardware....

Dont try and be exaclty like jordison is my advice, be your own person, sure, take influence from him, but being exaclty like him, though it can be pretty cool, isnt your own and shows no REAL signs of creativity

User Info Menu

do you consider $2300 expensive? because that right there is the price of a pearl masters MMX kit.
    Last edited by Ringo; 05-28-2007 at 06:13 AM.

User Info Menu

a standard 5 piece without cymbols and throne. Probably..... If you get the 9 piece joey has (again dont copy people or you wont get your own flavor) Push it upto..... 6grand america :S If my conversion rates are kinda acurate. That is also without throne or cymbols.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

no i just mean like the pearl masters series MMX it's a really good kit from what i've heard and seen.

User Info Menu

It is, its top of The line, and 2300 is for a convential right handed? He uses two of those, with diffrent sized toms, thats about 5000 right there once you add on the price diffrence between the toms, then add on the other toms he uses, and youve probably got about 5,500 american, add hardware, thats probably around 6,000, then add in cymbals, your easily looking at 10 grand for a set

Man, youve got really big plans, do you have a job yet?

User Info Menu

I don't think he wants a JJ replica kit, I think he just wants that sound. So he figures that by having the same brand of kit and heads, with a bit of tuning, that sound will be available to you, right Ringo? Am I understanding your goal properly?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

His kit does sound nice. I understand the properties of having two double kicks. But really. Whats the point? The only thing i thought would be cool is 2 double kicks. one left one right and double kick each drum :P *prolly work better for me because i use one foot for two things alot :>*
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

That sound is allllll because of the microphones, the drums sound so much diffrent, but he has to play such a large crowd, a lot of it has to do with teh bass in the microphones, the more bass they put in it, the farther and stronger the sound waves are, thats where most of the sound comes from, dont let the microphones fool you

User Info Menu

ch33zz your a genius.
    and thanks for the advice but crazymanwithaplunger is right i do want that sorta kit with the sound quality of jordison's toms and basses

User Info Menu

Alright, i get you, you just gotta play with your heads, and your drumkey, tune until you like the sound, thats the only way, just because of those mic setups, try out tuning your toms loose but tight, with a head that gives you a nice fat juicy pop

User Info Menu

you mean like get evans g2 heads for the toms
    and tune them as in make the batter side loose and the non batter side extremely tight? cuz that's how my bass is tuned and it sounds beastly
    it's 22X16 by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    how can you say that? he is phenomenal, jordison is great at what he does not because of his speed but because of his technique. he was in drum corps for 6 years before joining slipknot. and he is reviewed as one of the world's best metal drummers. so what do you say to that?
    So if i teach a 6 year old how to hold the sticks right and how to sit ok. They can be better than joey J by your rules. As for reviews. .... things influence them....1)money. Ie channel seven having shares in sony BMG always good reviews for new pop songs (wonder why) 2) People not really knowing what there on about. (Do these people reviewing even play drums or know session muso's?) 3) Amatures i find know nothing. there was a presonus firepod review saying it was the worst thing out. Fact was it was way better than what he was saying about what he used. Both statisticly and literally. A professional way highger than this guy vouched for it. He said if they had it in the 80's it would have been a way better music production erra.

Have you looked up the drummer from mudvayne? And do ya think you could find something showing joey playing an off beat rhythm? Im keen to hear... I guess he can do them though. mate kill feed repeat was a wicked album. Way way better. As for rick rubens on iowa.... he ruined it :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

again your opinion stevo

User Info Menu

that looked awsome , i want a spinning thing now
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Have you looked up the drummer from mudvayne? And do ya think you could find something showing joey playing an off beat rhythm? Im keen to hear... I guess he can do them though. mate kill feed repeat was a wicked album. Way way better. As for rick rubens on iowa.... he ruined it :(

Hahahaha. That is just FUNNY! Mudvayne? seriously? I am yet to hear anything from Mudvayne that isn't just a really simple repeat pattern, both for rums, and guitar. If you want metal, there are way better bands and drummers out there tha those guys. And as for Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat. alot of the original drumming work was done by Shawn Crahan, the original Drummer. He moved over though and brought in JJ later. Actually, pretty much everything that sets Slipknot apart from other bands can be attibuted to Shawn Crahan, it was his idea to wear the masks, the numbers, the idea for three drummers, all of it.

Perosnally, I think Slipknot's best album has been Subliminal Verses Vol. 3. It just has their most creative stuff on it I find. The most variance in styles of songs, while still sounding like Slipknot.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?