Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Magazines

User Info Menu

Default Drum Magazines

Which one do you prefer? I prefer Modern Drummer (great articles, and they have an edition with Matt Greiner coming out this summer xD) over Drum Mag, etc.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Magazines

Hey, I'd have to do a snapshot of my shelf-full of Modern Drummer mags. It's such a great source of information, such a well written magazine. I had a good start though, got the '89 Dec issue with Neil Peart...not gonna part with that one, no way, lol. Also other magazines I have lurking around are old issues of Drums & Drumming which I think had been phased out long ago), UK's Rhythm magazine, and Australian Drumscene. Plus, one of my students, when she went to Europe, came back with a German language drum magazine called "Drumheads"....my German is really rudimental (no pun intended)....I speak far better Italian and French..... so one of my friends is helping me translate that a bit better.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I like them all but prefer Drumhead lately. The lessons on the included cd are a nice touch and I haven't seen any total tools on the cover yet. I think it's more expensive though and has less issues per year.

User Info Menu

i get modern drummer and drum ,monthly , i really like them both , cant say i have a fav. i read them and give them to a young drummer that lives near me .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I'm a Modern Drummer kinda guy myself, but I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, especially if it's related to drums!

User Info Menu

drum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    drum!
    This.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

MD is the timeless classic I suppose but I am partial to DRUM!. DRUM! started out as a large paper mag in the bay area of nothern California and evolved into the more conventional type like MD. I don't like to say it but DRUM! use to be better than it is today.

DRUM! also had a feature called New Blood where you could submit your bio to (at that time) Waldo The Squid. I got into the feature around 93 94? Ben Mize (Counting Crows) was the cover. They were very genourous back then. I received a 20" UfiP ride cymbal for being selected.

You really can't go wrong with either one especially MD.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

MD is the only mag I can get off the shelf in my parts, so that has been my lifetime favorite, but I subscribe to Drum! and love it as well (especially since they were kind enough to leave my "kit of the week" feature up on their website for about 3 months ) Whenever I venture to Columbus, OH (90 miles), I hit up a big bookstore and can pick up Rhythm and Drumhead, which I enjoy as well. If you can find it, Not So Modern Drummer is cool for those of us who have been around a while, AND - they host the incredibly awesome Snare Drum Olympics.

User Info Menu

I used to subscribe to DRUM! on a regular basis, they had a lot of great information, drum tabs, retailer names, interviews, bio's, the works. Nowadays it's all MODERN DRUMMER, heck even TRAPS is starting to GROW in popularity.
    Last edited by Russ; 05-15-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Nervousness and paranoia, if I had to guess
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Went to BnN today to look at the mags. Modern Drummer 5.99, DRUM! 5.99, then another one called DRUMMER 10.99! . I originally picked DRUMMER for the Chris Adler article but 10.99? I noticed it said printed in U.K. by the barcode so maybe that's why. MD this month features Ian Paice, and DRUM! has Shannon Larkin. I got DRUM! they supported me a long time ago so I'm sort of biased to them. It was the thinnest of the three but it has good things in it.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-27-2014 at 04:28 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I subscribe to Rhythm magazine, which is great, but I also get iDrum free online. It often has some of the articles found in the mags, and also has video/sound of drum/cymbal/etc reviews, which you can't get from a mag. Just type iDrum into google & have a look.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Hair Drum Magazine.
    Yeh that's it.
    How to grow hair by playing drums.

Sorry.

I had a dream last night.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Interesting to see this thread 3 years later. For example, Traps, which was put out by DRUM is no longer a magazine.

Another thread on "drum magazines"

User Info Menu

I have to look around for these drumming magazines. I was at the library a couple days ago, looked at Rolling Stone magazine and did not think to look for drumming magazines.

User Info Menu

No comment
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

None. Don't buy, read, peruse any magazines at all. Most every page is advertising. Very little content. Waste of time and money IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    None. Don't buy, read, peruse any magazines at all. Most every page is advertising. Very little content. Waste of time and money IMHO.

I used to love to read reviews back when they were actually reviews. I've not ready an issue of Modern Drummer in years (used to be a subscriber), but I know Acoustic Guitar magazine's reviews got ridiculously positive. It's like they took every single positive thing you could think of about a guitar and put it in the review and rarely (if ever) said anything negative about the reviewed guitar...almost like it was an advertisement.

I quit subscribing after a year or so.

User Info Menu

Subscribed to drum till the beginning of this year and I let it lapse. Really do not miss it, I have about 3yrs worth saved away that I go though every now and then
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I used to subscribe to MD and drum.
    Now I just read them on line free.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    MD is the timeless classic I suppose but I am partial to DRUM!. DRUM! started out as a large paper mag in the bay area of nothern California and evolved into the more conventional type like MD. I don't like to say it but DRUM! use to be better than it is today.

DRUM! also had a feature called New Blood where you could submit your bio to (at that time) Waldo The Squid. I got into the feature around 93 94? Ben Mize (Counting Crows) was the cover. They were very genourous back then. I received a 20" UfiP ride cymbal for being selected.

You really can't go wrong with either one especially MD.
    I, too, got into the New Blood section once upon a time. Except I didn't get a damn thing. I didn't even get notified. A friend of my guitarists at that time (1998-99) was looking at an issue had had from a few months back and recognized me. Almost threw it away. I moved not too long ago and have it in a box somewhere with yearbooks and such, so I don't know the issue info. I do know that Mitch Mitchell is on the cover.
    Felt so cool to flip the mag open and see my picture. The Squid also happened so say some nice things about my playing and my band, China Lake, which had already broken up.
    I stick with DRUM! as my magazine of choice out of loyalty and I genuinely like it. The ads, too.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I have been reading MD since 1980. Nowadays, I still pick up every 3rd issue or so if something interests me. But I think Drumhead is put together better. Jonathan Mover is the chief and they do very in depth interviews, seem to dig a little harder and deeper into the drummer's life than other mags.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Rhythm Magazine over here.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I used to read Modern Drummer when I was a kid in the 70's, then DRUM! when it was a freebie in the 90's. Now I just read the Internet for drum info.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

Went to a bookstore today.. and was looking for drum magazines.. it turns out DRUM is now called Drumhead .. such shattering news..

nothing in it was very intriguing or very interesting to me.. just drummers i never heard of playing for bands i never heard of. Not even any cool ads
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN