Thread: high tuning for toms

User Info Menu

Default high tuning for toms

Any drawback to high tunings on toms(rack or floor)? I have my 10 rack tom and a 16 floor tom tuned high. Not extreme, but high enough.

Heads are Remo Clear Ambassador batter and reso. Kit is a Pearl Masters MCX.

I've been in a jazz mood so I broke my kit down to one up/ one down. Allmost a waste to have 3 other tom sitting idle.

User Info Menu

Default Re: high tuning for toms

My instructor is an old skool Jazz kat with a Rogers 4 piece. His 12" ride tom is tuned a lot higher than I would tune mine, so it has a lot of ring and little sustain. From what I have heard on old Jazz recordings, his tuning is pretty standard. Since I switch between Jazz and Rock, I want a lot more thud and resonance, and I have a 6" 8" !0" arrangement for the high ringy toms. The 16 FT, however, probably shouldn't be tuned very high, since you want maximum contrast between the two toms.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

id say there's no drawbacks assuming your pleased with the sound.
    jazz players tend to favor these higher tunings and though you lose a little resonance you get a higher pitch with asserts itself equally well in the right musical setting.

User Info Menu

The contrast between the 10 and 16 is well defined. Both have a nice ring with little sustain. My other tom's (8, 12 Ft and 18Ft) are still tuned low so I can change from a Jazz set to a Rock set with minimal effort. One advantage of have a larger kit.

The 24 bass isn't ideal but it works. I keep it at a happy medium.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigpine View Post
    My other tom's (8, 12 Ft and 18Ft) are still tuned low...
    So, how do you go about ordering heads for 12-foot and 18-foot drums?

User Info Menu

Mmmm......... Those would be some BIG tub's. Floor tom's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mainedrummah View Post
    So, how do you go about ordering heads for 12-foot and 18-foot drums?
    Get a big cow
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Nothing particularly wrong with tuning high, it really suits the jazz to have a brighter more lively sound. For this reason, single ply drumheads are preferred but not necessary. Each drum has a note to it, and with tuning you can change it's note a little bit. Heads are also a factor, single ply has a sweet spot in higher tunings than double ply does, making them perfect for the task. Double ply is good if you need a drum to sit in a medium to lower tuning, that's why I like them for bass drum. Bass drums in jazz might need a little higher tuning than what is considered a standard in other genres, however.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu