Thread: Wood or nylon tips on e drums?

User Info Menu

Default Wood or nylon tips on e drums?

Hey guys

I'm planning to get the Alesis DM10 Studio kit, and was wondering what sticks you guys would recommend

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood or nylon tips on e drums?

Honestly, I can't imagine it would matter much.

I'd bet you'd get more bounce with the Nylon tips, but maybe TOO much bounce.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mayanrelic View Post
    Honestly, I can't imagine it would matter much.
    This.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

As far as feel, maybe not much difference but if you need to play quitely, I would guess the nylon tips would be a tad louder if they were used on hard plastic surfaces such as those found on some ekits. I'm not familar with the model you referenced but my ekit has all rubber pads and regardless of what sticks I use, the bounce is pretty much the same from either type of stick.

User Info Menu

I'm talking about chipping the skins though etc

User Info Menu

You wont chip the skins with either. In my opinion.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'm talking about chipping the skins though etc
    The ekit you are thinking about getting uses the black RealHead drum heads as "skins".

In my opinion, regardless of what type of tips you use for drumsticks, you'll leave dents and scratches on the glossy black surface of the drum head.

The pic above is my Tama TechStar ekit that I bought new in the mid '80s when they first came out. The heads on the toms are the orginial heads that came with the kit (note the Tama logos) over twenty years ago and I've used nothing but wooden tips on these heads. They never "chipped" beyond the dents and scratches from playing. If you asking if they would eventually break beyond normal wear and tear? My answer would be "no".
    Last edited by late8; 05-20-2011 at 11:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I play a roland rubber pad e-kit. TD3 I believe. I didnt notice a difference between the nylon and wood. But if you have real head pads then go with wood so it doesnt "slap"
    -Steven

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter. Just be sure you use a new pair of sticks and dedicate them to the e-kit. Acoustic kits chew up sticks and you definitely don't ever want to use those on your e-kit. Also, be sure the tip doesn't have any rough edges. A lot of times the nylon tips will have a rough line where the nylon was bonded together.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I play a hybridised old model Alesis dm5 kit, but with the newer Surge electronic cymbals.

If you use nylon tips on an acoustic set, you wont feel any differences on the Surge cymbals, as these already have a metal surface to strike. However, I'm not 100% sure whether or not the dm10 comes with these Surge cymbals or rubberised ones, common on other kits. Wood tips or nylon tips....either way, marking your kit's surfaces is inevitable, however I do pretty much prefer wood tips, they won't wear down on an electronic kit as much as on a real acoustic set. However, I do recommend setting aside at least one or two pairs for playing only on an electronic kit.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-20-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    ...I'm not 100% sure whether or not the dm10 comes with these Surge cymbals or rubberised ones, common on other kits.
    The DM10 kits come in two versions; one has rubber cymbals and the other (I think they call it their "pro" model) comes with the Surge cymbals.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^